TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question was handled in 2006, so I am wondering if in 5 years, there has been any changes made.
I selected a show online to record but later decided I did not want that show to be recorded because I found out it later I really wanted to record another show at that time. Since I had another show scheduled, that meant both Tuners in my Premier are to be used.

I looked and looked and could not find a way to delete or cancel this show online. It has been 5 years since this was handled so wanted to know if it is the same - no way to delete online requests.

Better yet - why can it not be done or rather undone?

·
Registered
New Custom Title
83,102 Posts
I'm just guessing, myself. I've been a TiVo user since the way beginning. When I got my first standalione TiVo, I was blown away. Felt like I'd received a gadget from the future, and was amazed at how elegant and functional it was. Unlike any other TV-related device I'd ever used... it was amazing.

It's been 10 years since, and there have been a few evolutionary improvements. Really, at the core, it's still the same TiVo code, and as I've come to experience, with some pretty egregious omissions. And since then, other DVR software (and media centers) have come along that have leapfrogged TiVo in many aspects.

Don't get me wrong, I still have and use a TiVo. I recently "sidegraded" from a Series 3 TiVo to a Premiere, based on a great Woot.com deal. I'll stick with it for the time being, simply because it's what I know, I was able to (somewhat easily) transfer the bulk of my recordings, and upgrade it's storage to 2 TB. But based on the unfinished UI, and the same glaring omissions we've been complaining about for over 5 years, I don't have lots of hope that TiVo's best days are ahead of us.

·
what ru lookin at?
10,926 Posts
I looked and looked and could not find a way to delete or cancel this show online.
I don't think TiVo would want the added hassles associated with being able to cancel recording requests and/or delete shows online.
That's just one more path for an inexperienced user to screw up and blame TiVo because their shows didn't record/were deleted.

·
Registered
New Custom Title
83,102 Posts
I don't think TiVo would want the added hassles associated with being able to cancel recording requests and/or delete shows online.
That's just one more path for an inexperienced user to screw up and blame TiVo because their shows didn't record/were deleted.
So put it in an "advanced" tab. Fear that an inexperienced user might "screw up and blame TiVo" is not a good reason to skip out on a feature that would be very, very helpful to intelligent users.

·
what ru lookin at?
10,926 Posts
So put it in an "advanced" tab. Fear that an inexperienced user might "screw up and blame TiVo" is not a good reason to skip out on a feature that would be very, very helpful to intelligent users.
I agree, but we're talking about TiVo here...the same people that released a 'half-baked' Premiere. :(

·
Registered
New Custom Title
83,102 Posts
I know, I know. That disappointment is what fueled my first response here. TiVo has much bigger fish to fry. I really do wonder WTH is going on with them, and if my Premiere will ever feel "complete." In the meantime, I'm sticking with the SD menus, and it feels a bit... silly.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that since I was able to so easily request a record, that I would just as easily request a cancellation. I certainly can do that on the box and figured functionality would be duplicated via on line. It is a really hard lesson to "discover" that it can not be removed. Luckily I did not have disk space issues and was able to get to the Tivo box and use it to delete the recording. I can see how awful it would be if I had to let it go ahead and do it against my desires say if I could not get to the3 machine. I certainly may not use the crippled online software very much at all now that I now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.