TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
895 Posts
Finally, a Degrassi TNG thread!

My interest was piqued a while back after reading about the Marco-Dylan gay storyline in The Advocate some time ago.

What I love about DeGrassi is how they tackle tough, real-life issues that affect today's teenagers in a manner that's tasteful and tactful, yet frank and brutally honest. The fact that this television program aimed at the 13-21 set demonstrates that Canadians give a lot more credit to their younger generation than we do, given the serious nature of the material.

Oral sex? Check. Abortion? Check. Gay issues? Check. Cancer? Check. School violence? Check....and the list goes on...I think Degrassi is "must see" viewing, particularly for the younger crowd. It deals with serious subject matter without being condescending...and I for one, think it's a breath of fresh air, particularly given the sorry state of affairs and general paranoia with our own programming and the "moral police" determined to censor and water down everything here in the U.S. (The debut of LOGO is another step in the right direction, however)

Speaking of Degrassi...Adamo Ruggiero did/does an amazing job of portraying a closeted gay kid coming to terms with his sexuality. This plotline ALONE is worth watching Degrassi....Two guys kissing...and talking about sex on a "kids show" gives me hope that the extreme right hasn't "won" everything just yet

·
Banned
895 Posts
Havana Brown said:
Is this where I confess to watching the show? :eek:

Thanks for the heads up on the new season. It'll be nice to see how much the kids have changed. I think I will record this in my bedroom tivo so no one else sees my addiction.
The first handful of episodes are merely a continuation of season four, aired in Canada months ago. For whatever reason, they're delayed here in the U.S.

Emma and J.T. are growing up right before our eyes, whereas some of the others look exactly the same, save for a new hairstyle or two.

Don't "hide" your addiction. :D Yep, it's a "guilty pleasure" of mine too....As with "The O.C.", you can always use the excuse "But there are good adult characters and storylines on the show" Heeheee

·
Banned
895 Posts
starbreiz said:
Smallwonder: It was Craigs.

Havana: I remember seeing the original Degrassi, but it's wild to see it again and put everything in perspective with relation to where the characters are now. I'd totally forgotten about Shane when I saw the episode where Emma tries to find her father.
Great episode airing this Friday where Marco finally reveals to the entire school (and father) that he's gay.

·
Banned
895 Posts
Havana Brown said:
I saw that on imdb, but never seen it. I think she's talking about the re-runs of Degrassi, Old School.

The new Degrassi has been on since 2001 and it's funny to see how the kids have changed. Emma was such a skinny, goofy looking girl and she's blossomed into a real pretty young woman. The boys too, have gone thru puberty. JT was a small, scrawny little guy and now he's pretty tall. And Manny, wow, in the first episodes she was truly a little girl and she's filled out to a nice looking girl.
I'll say it.....Emma's hot now...and this is coming from a gay man! Don't know what happened, because she was NOT attractive (IMO)....

Paige has stayed the same, as has Jimmy. Craig has cleaned up his act a bit, but he too, hasn't changed dramatically. Manny has the J-Lo thing going on (short and curvy with some "junk" LOL.

JT has matured and definitely gotten taller....and not a bad looking kid I might add. Toby is destined to be short, fat and hairy......Marco's adorable (love the facial scruff and the long wavy hair....)

Spinner's transformation is nothing short of amazing. I think he's lost 60 pounds if I recall....Check out those early season 1 and 2 episodes and compare them to today!

Funny to see Joey Jeremiah now...short and bald as a baby's ass.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.