TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Deciding on HD??

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  mroe 
#1 ·
My R-10 just bit the dust, all it says is Welcome, and never boots. Tried reseting, unplugging etc. DTV said they'll send me a new one at no charge (well that's good) But I was thinking, maybe I should go HD and buy the 15. So I called DTV back and and inquired about it. The thing that I'm trying to figure out, what is exactly different about it, compared to the R10 other than HD. I don't understand this OTA deal. So if you swicth to HD you don't get locals anymore? You have to use an outside antenna? Gee, that sucks. Can someone point me to a comparason area? Will I still have the same Tivo options, recording options and such?

#2 ·
If what you referred to as "15" is the R15, that isn't an HD receiver. It also doesn't use TiVo software. For HD you need the HR10-250, which is a DVR. You only have to use an antenna for your local HD until DirecTV gets around to providing them. What's your location?

Then you need to do a search here for MPEG4. This subject confuses the DirecTV local HD situation quite a bit.

#4 ·
A little confused by your questions but here goes :

The HR10-250 can record local Digital stations using an antenna (if you have good signal strength). These Digital stations may be transmitting HD, maybe not. Most digital stations transmit in the UHF range, so you would need a UHF antenna.

At some point, DirecTV will begin transmitting your local stations in HD via satellite. The HR10-250 will not be able to record these signals since they will be compressed by a method called MPEG4. The HR10-250 handles only signals compressed to the MPEG2 standard.

Currently there is no HD DVR for these MPEG4 signals, there is only a receiver, the H20. DirecTV will probably start providing an MPEG4 HD DVR sometime this year, but it will not use TiVo software.

#5 ·
What you are saying is that even though on DTV's website it shows that the Philly locals are now available over the satellite there isn't any way to see them? I am at a crossroad. I am ready to get HD, but I don't want an OTA antenna. Looking at the chart http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/see/LocalChannels.jsp?_requestid=121437 it shows my locals are available in HD, but reading your reply I have no means to view them?

#6 ·
That site reflects analog locals, not HD locals. The HR-10 will record the analog locals over sat just like any DirecTivo will, and the HD locals OTA, as well as other HD channels from sat.

Currently, no one has a way to record HD locals that are distributed as MPEG-4, but you can view them with the H20 receiver, assuming they are available in your location. If you want to record HD locals, OTA on a HR10 is the only way right now, regardless of whether they are available on sat in your location or not.

#7 ·
TyroneShoes said:
That site reflects analog locals, not HD locals. The HR-10 will record the analog locals over sat just like any DirecTivo will, and the HD locals OTA, as well as other HD channels from sat.

Currently, no one has a way to record HD locals that are distributed as MPEG-4, but you can view them with the H20 receiver, assuming they are available in your location. If you want to record HD locals, OTA on a HR10 is the only way right now, regardless of whether they are available on sat in your location or not.
I just checked my link and it doesn't reflect what I was posting about. Insert 08052 into the zip code box and you will see it lists the local HD channels available. Here is the top bit of info:

Yes! Local channels are available in your area: Philadelphia PA 08052.

We've provided a complete list of local stations and channel numbers below.

HD Local Channels:
High-definition (HD) local channels from DIRECTV are also available in your area. To receive them you will need an HD system.

Standard Local Channels:
You can receive these local channels using any DIRECTV® System. So sign up now for a package that includes local channels!

It states I can receive HD locals, where in the past it stated I needed an OTA antenna to get HD. This page is deceiving, if they offer them and I can't record them what good is it? I really don't want to go to Comcast, and I don't want OTA, but DTV is charging $11 for not much HD. CC gives us 7 locals in HD, DTV 4, but we can't decode them. :(

#8 ·
Dave: I am in the same area/boat as you. Jumping to HD in 9 days.

Here is what I know so far. To get HD locals and record them you need OTA. No way around it with Directv. Their new DVR will be able to record the MPEG4 local hd channels when it comes out later this year. Until then you MUST get an OTA so the Directivohd can record them since that unit itself can not record or view mpeg4 channels.

Make sense?

Oh yeah. Mpeg4 HDTV channels are only accessable via the NEW 5LNB dish. AND you only get CBS,NBC,ABS, and fox. If you want WP or UPN or PBS you need an OTA still. :)
No word if and when those last three will ever be added to to mpeg4 signals.

I am in 08108. 13 miles from the antennas. So I am hoping that the Directv supplied OTA is suitable for receiving all my local channels in HDTV.

#10 ·
I have made the choice to do nothing for now. My commitment will be up in July, that is when we used the mover's connection. After reading up on DTV's price increase, 2 year commitment, leasing program and lack of HD programming I will wait and see what shakes out. I am not as happy with DTV as I used to be. So I will control my impulses and just sit and wait, in the mean time I might get myself an antenna and use it for HD locals for now.

I used to despise Comcast, but my HSI has been fantastic and Comcast will have a bonafide TiVo this year, if I am not mistaken. And they offer a lot more HD. And Dish has Voom, so I will wait and read up on the pros and cons of all 3.

#11 ·
I decided to wait until my commitment is over before I make any moves. What I really wanted is to use my Sony 50"LCD HDTV now for football, so I went to AntennaWeb , put in my address and discovered that all the digital stations I want to view in my area come from the same tower, 15 miles away. I was going to put an antenna in my attic, but I ended getting a Terk Indoor HDTVi antenna and am surprised at the amount of Digital Stations over the free airwaves here. I watched the CBS game in 1080i HD and the Fox game in 780p HD. Unreal. The signal comes in at a 98 for both stations. I can't record them, but at least I can use my TV for what it does best, HDTV. When DTV's rates go up I will drop HBO and get Netflix and see who has the best offering in June. I want more HDTV now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.