TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching live TV on my D* HDTivo the other night on DIY and brought up the Guide to see what else was on. I saw a program on one of my local digital channels and selected that channel to watch. It came up with the "Channel Not Availabe" bar at the bottom of the screen. So I switched to the next channel (thinking the signal was gone) and it had the same bar. After switching to several channels and seeing the same thing, I swtiched back to DIY (which I had just been watching) and it had the same bar at the bottom of the screen. None of my channels would come in - OTA or Satellite, HD or SD.

I went in and did a daily call, thinking it needed to get some guide info or something, and that didn't help anything. So I went into the OTA signal strength meter (just to see if it would show any strength) and as soon as I hit OK to start seeing the meter, the unit rebooted. I freaked out thinking "Oh know, my Tivo just died".

After rebooting, everything was fine! My concern is if this happens when a recording was scheduled and I get a black screen with a bar on it instead of my show. Has anyone else had this same thing happen? Anyone know what would cause something like that?

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
seen my hr10-250 do this twice. did miss one recording. it rebooted both times. don't know why just seems to be one of the glitches.

·
potato potato potato
197 Posts
Dssturbo1 said:
seen my hr10-250 do this twice. did miss one recording. it rebooted both times. don't know why just seems to be one of the glitches.
It is, after all, just a computer. Stuff happens, even to my Macs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Happens to me about once a week. If you go into setup and system information, you'll see that all four tuners are marked as unavailable. You need to do a reset to clear it.

There has been much discussion in other threads about what is causing this, many think it may in some way be related to something happening on the disk - disk error, too many files, too fragmented, etc. But I don't think anything conclusive has been found.

Eric

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the reply.

I guess it did bite me - our recording of The OC for Thursday night didn't happen and in the History it says it didn't record because power was lost. Well, it was on but the tuners must have been unavailable. If this starts happening more often my wife isn't going to buy into this whole HD thing. It seems like I have taken a step backwards. We get breakups for local over the air (of course it seems like ONLY during the show we are interested in, otherwise, no breakups at all), older buggy software and for the first time ever - our Tivo missed a recording that didn't have to do with a scheduling conflict or guide data that was incorrect. This was the Tivo's fault and now I may actually be interested in their new HD DVR - at least with that if there is a bug we have hope they will fix it, where as with the Tivo, we know its pretty much stuck where it is at.

Bryan

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've only had it happen once and the HDTivo it occurred on eventually flaked out completely. DTV replaced it under their service policy and the new HDTivo has been running fine with no problems.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I was out of the country on business for 12 days last September, and I got the "power lost" message on most of my recordings. About 2 weeks later, it happened again (but I was at home this time). About a month later, my disk drive crashed, so this may be a fore shadow of things to come.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll add a me too. I came back from a weekend trip in November and my HD Tivo showed "Channel Not Available" for everything. After rebooting, I then got a Green Screen of Death which said to call Tivo directly. :) I wound up getting the unit replaced by DirecTV. They were actually cool about it and replaced it for free even though I was 2 months out of warranty.

David

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just had this error tonight on a non HD DirecTivo. Hosed on multiple programs including part of tonights episode 24 (@#$#[email protected]$~!~).

Now systems shows "no upcoming episodes" on all season passes.

DirecTv is really starting to piss me off.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now that I am seeing more posts of this nature (and on non HD-Tivo's) I wonder if this has to do with DirecTV's MPEG 4 rollout. Maybe some new signals are confusing our DirecTivos and they no longer think a valid signal is coming in and just think the Tuners are not available.

I find it odd that more people are starting to have this problem all around the same time. My unit is only a few weeks old - so it isn't like it's been around awhile.

I wonder if I should call DirecTV just to make sure the issue is logged - I am not interested in them sending me out a refurbished unit that will probably have more problems! I don't think calling and just having the issue logged will hurt - I'll see if I feel like dealing with DirecTV CSR "troubleshooting" tomorrow. :)

Bryan

·
Substantive Member
11,984 Posts
EricBergan said:
Happens to me about once a week. If you go into setup and system information, you'll see that all four tuners are marked as unavailable. You need to do a reset to clear it.
When I first got mine, it happened about once a week. It got steadily worse, so I was lucky to go a day without it. A clear and delete everything except programs had made it get better. Its only falling over every 2 weeks or so.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I had it happen once, several weeks ago. I figured a reboot would cure it, but decided to poke around a bit first. When I tried to go to the signal test it spontaneously rebooted and, indeed, the problem went away.

·
Registered
49 Posts
mine always does it on channel 80. after a few seconds, it comes on usually. sometimes i have to change the channel to 86, then back for it to come on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've had my HD Tivo for almost a year and it happened to me for the first time last night. I rebooted and now all is working. Just hoping it doesn't happen while I'm out of town.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts