TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
TV-holic, improving
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odd news:

CW network to replace WB, UPN
CBS, Warner Bros. announce plans for new network to debut in September.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Warner Brothers and CBS Corp. announced plans Tuesday for the creation of a new broadcast television network, called CW, that would replace the WB and UPN networks in the fall of this year.

The new broadcast network will draw on programming from both WB and UPN, and will be a joint venture between Warner Bros. and CBS (Research), with each company owning 50 percent, officials of both companies.
WB's 'Gilmore Girls' will be one of the shows on the new CW network, officials said.

"This new network will serve the public with high-quality programming and maintain our ongoing commitment to our diverse audience," said Les Moonves, the chairman of CBS, in a statement.

Prime time programming will target the profitable 18-34 age group, officials of Warner and CBS said.

The new network will broadcast such UPN shows as "America's Next Top Model," "Veronica Mars" and "Everybody Hates Chris," as well as WB programs "Beauty and the Geek," "Smallville" and "Gilmore Girls."
Sounds like you'll have former UPN shows battling it out with WB shows for time slots, come this fall.

Update: Full press release.

·
Grumpy Poster
56,648 Posts
Did somebody bother to consult Paramount about this? :D

Seriously, though, any network with both Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars on it -- and Smallville and Supernatural don't hurt, either -- gets my stamp of approval.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "urban" sitcoms (other than Everyone Hates Chris) may be the ones getting squeezed out here. Only Girlfriends is mentioned in the press release.

Apparently, it's still only 13 hours of prime-time programming a week.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
At first glance I thought "Country & Western!"

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
jeff125va said:
OK, it says that the D.C. affiliate will be the Tribune station - anyone know if that's the WB channel or the UPN channel?
Found the answer in another link on that page:
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060124/cgtu033.html?.v=44

Tribune owns and operates 26 TV stations in 22 markets across the country, including 19 affiliated with The WB Network. Under the agreement, 16 of those stations will join the new network:

-- WPIX-TV, New York; KTLA-TV, Los Angeles; WGN-TV, Chicago; WLVI-TV,
Boston; KDAF-TV, Dallas; WBDC-TV, Washington, D.C.; KHWB-TV, Houston;
WBZL-TV, Miami; KWGN-TV, Denver; KPLR-TV, St. Louis; KWBP-TV,
Portland; WTTV-TV, Indianapolis; KSWB-TV, San Diego; WTXX-TV,
Hartford; WNOL-TV, New Orleans; and WEWB-TV, Albany.
Which I'm happy about because our UPN affiliate's HD signal is extremely weak.

·
She likes cheese.
4,768 Posts
Graymalkin said:
Seriously, though, any network with both Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars on it -- and Smallville and Supernatural don't hurt, either -- gets my stamp of approval.
I hope all of those programs are kept on this new network, plus Everwood.

Smallville and Supernatural are a good pairing, and Gilmore Girls would work well paired with Everwood, but I don't know what they are going to do with Veronica Mars. VM is darker and more cynical than anything on the WB. I hope it survives at least one more season, and the press release is correct that VM is viewed as a "programming asset."

I'd love to see GG as a lead-in for VM, because they probably have the most overlap in fans, but somehow I don't see it happening.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Not bad news. The combined offerings of the two networks is a pretty good slate of shows.

Hopefully they'll be able to broadcast on the more powerful station in each market where both exists...

·
Konner Kringle
6,482 Posts
This sounds like a reasonably good deal and the combined network should be able to fill all the primetime slots, which neither netlet is doing now. However, I am baffled that Time-Warner is cooperating with Viacom like this.

·
Hi. What is this?
11,731 Posts
This is bizarre. It's also going to make quite a lot of jobs reduntant. For someone like me who is already having trouble finding a job in television, this is very bad news.

·
Registered
19,719 Posts
What will they do with the local affiliates? Granted I don't watch anything on UPN.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
WinBear said:
This sounds like a reasonably good deal and the combined network should be able to fill all the primetime slots, which neither netlet is doing now. However, I am baffled that Time-Warner is cooperating with Viacom like this.
Viacom has nothing to do with this. This is CBS, Time Warner and a lucrative 10 year year affiliation agreement with Tribune. It all makes perfect sense when you consider it finally allows UPN to get off the Fox owned UPN affiliates in Los Angeles and New York. KTLA and WPIX are far stronger stations. The next question is how Fox responds to this since they will have two stations in the #1 and #2 markets and a large body of affiliates which are going to be left out in the cold.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
vertigo235 said:
What will they do with the local affiliates? Granted I don't watch anything on UPN.
Well the stations they're on now for the most part were around before they became WB or UPN networks. I guess they'll go back to being independent stations. UPN 20 in D.C. still does games for certain sports - the Orioles and Nationals, IIRC.

As far as why they're doing this, it sounds like the main mutual benefit is the expanded coverage for both networks. Maybe they realized there just aren't enough people watching all the shows on these channels to justify the existence of both of these networks. Then again, maybe they're cheap enough to produce that the profit margin is still good.

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
jeff125va said:
Which I'm happy about because our UPN affiliate's HD signal is extremely weak.
Indeed, this saves me a trip to the roof this weekend to give UPN20 a shot at getting pulled in. I know it was bound to fail, but it was on the To Do List. WB50 comes in fine even 50 miles away, so this is good news to me.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts