TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Just realizing how many crime shows I watch these days...

PAST:
I'm on Season 3 of the "Charlie's Angels" DVDs... Another blast from the past would be "The Equalizer" - does that count as a crime show? And I've always loved all 6 episodes of "Police Squad." ;)

Is it too sad to list "Veronica Mars" as a "past" show?

PRESENT:
I still watch all the Laws and Orders, but I'm starting to get a little bored with them now. I still watch all the CSIs, but I think Vegas and Miami have gotten too outrageous. I still like "Criminal Minds," but I liked it more when it had Lola Glaudini. Just as Sarah Carter is pivotal to my watching "Shark." I used to like "Without a Trace," but now I only watch it for Poppy.

Lately, I've been impressed with "Psych" (does a comedy count?). I still watch "Monk," but not as impressed with it anymore.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Some from the past that I really enjoyed:

Wise Guy, Homicide: Life on the Street, Wanted (TNT - I thought that was a great show, cancelled after one season - guess I was one of only a few :)), Midnight Caller, JAG, Boomtown, Murder One, Equalizer, I'm sure there are a ton of others I just can't think of right now.

Currently:

The Wire, The Shield, NCIS, The Unit (similar vein, though not really a 'crime' show) L&O (all three, though as alpacaboy mentioned, there growing old), CSI (all three - getting a bit old, too), Criminal Minds, Medium, Shark, The Closer (not a favorite, though). Again, I'm sure more that I can't think of right now.

ETA: I had been watching Cold Case and Without a Trace and really like them, but lost track a little two years ago and completely lost touch with them this past year because of CBS and their football coverage. Padded each an hour, but they had a tendancy to drop off before I could watch them (watching a lot of other things, too). As a football fan and Sunday night dramas fan - and not at all a '60 Minutes' fan - I sure wish CBS would dump '60 Minutes' (or "join it in progress") and keep their schedule. I know, it will never happen. But as long as they fill the 7:00 to 10:00 (Central Time) line up with things I want to watch (including Amazing Race), I can still hope, can't I?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i definitely second and third all those who really like NCIS-- great!

murgatroyd-- definite great ensemble cast.

jlucpicard-- i really dig shark-- james woods is pretty brilliant.

right now i'm gearing up for
"
The Kill Point" on Spike TV, sundays @ 9pm starting July 22nd. it's a bank heist action drama, that goes completely wrong. john lequizame plays an iraqi!, while donnie walhberg plays the deputy .

check out the trailer, it's on Spike TV's website spiketv[dot] com

what do ya guys think? as excited about it as i am?

·
Grey Warden Reject
4,312 Posts
Miami Vice (for past)
CSI: Las Vegas (for present)

I am intrigued by Shark though. A couple episodes have been interesting. Not sure if it is a lawyer show or a crime show. I might have to catch up on DVD for that.

·
what ru lookin at?
10,722 Posts
Past -- Rockford Files, Quincy, In the Heat of the Night, Six Million Dollar Man, Charlie's Angels...Crossing Jordan( :( )...

Present -- All the L&O's, all the CSI's, 24, Cold Case, Criminal Minds, Without a Trace, Shark, Numb3rs...Boston Legal (?)...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shark is great, switching sides really makes for a good plot twist. And seeing James Wood make the defense squirm is always a joy of mine. I wish I was that well spoken. Do negotiators do to special schools for that or something? Did I miss the bus?! HA, I kid.
Thats why I am really looking forward to The Kill Point. Donnie Wahlberg is gonna have to convince John Leguizamo and navy team not to rob that Bank. There better be some smooth talking going on right?

·
Under Maintenance
26,698 Posts
Alas I used to watch them ALL but now it seems the plots are simply being recycled. I can figure out the ending usually in the first five minutes. I still watch CSI LV and Miami and I still watch L&O SVU. Otherwise, the Season Passes are all still there, but I tend to let them roll off the bottom of Now Playing without ever watching them...

·
Don't stop believin'
26,095 Posts
Every time someone starts a 'what is your favorite X' thread, I always read them, hoping that someone will point out some cool thing about a show which I have missed, that will be the hook I need to get into a show that is good, but which I have not been watching. A friend of mine and I talk on the phone about what we are watching, and she has turned me on to a lot of good shows like Heroes -- I read threads like this hoping I can make other discoveries here.

But no, time after time, people come along, and in a thread where the OP clearly states, what is your FAVORITE show, somebody comes in all heavy-footed to say how much they don't like them.

bareyb said:
Alas I used to watch them ALL but now it seems the plots are simply being recycled. I can figure out the ending usually in the first five minutes. I still watch CSI LV and Miami and I still watch L&O SVU. Otherwise, the Season Passes are all still there, but I tend to let them roll off the bottom of Now Playing without ever watching them...
So you can figure out the ending in the first five minutes -- so what?

I just read your other comments in the Singing Bee thread -- I'll copy the relevant bit here because I don't want to hijack the other thread by talking about a scripted show there:

I don't much care for most of the scripted dramas anymore. Especially not "Cop" scripted dramas with the word "Law and Order" or "CSI" in the title. Except maybe SVU and the OG "Las Vegas"... I already know all the plots and can tell you "who done it' in the first five minutes. I much prefer watching bad reality shows over bad scripted shows.
Is there some kind of software upgrades on the new TiVos that I don't know about? How do you tell something is bad without watching it first? ;)

Barey, if you like reality shows, I don't have a problem with that. I have my own favorites, too, as you can see if you look at several of the reality show threads here.

What I do have a problem with is someone who doesn't even watch my favorite show, either doesn't record it or lets it roll off Now Playing unseen, and says that it is bad just because he can figure out who the bad guy is in the first five minutes.

NCIS is not about keeping the viewers guessing about who the bad guy is, up until the last possible second, in a single episode. It is about people who do this job. The focus in on the people, not the plot.

So maybe I can guess who did it -- who cares? What matters is seening HOW the agents figure it out, HOW the bad guys try to evade being found out, seeing all the character stuff in the show which is not relevant to the plot du jour, but is part of the ongoing bigger storyline.

The pleasure in watching the show is seeing Pauley Perrette as Abby Sciuto, both in her performance, and the wondrous things the costume people do for her week in and week out, in watching David McCallum turn in a wonderful performance week after week, in seeing Mark Harmon and Michael Weatherly and all the other actors on the show, playing off each other in a fabulous ensemble. The plot du jour may not be the greatest, but the character stuff is solid, week after week after week.

I'm not saying -- as so many here people seem to -- that what I like is the only thing which is good, and you have to agree with me, or else you are wrong.

But it saddens me when so many people blow off stuff which I don't like, and don't even try to watch it, because they are missing out on the pleasure of something that I find pleasurable.

If the only thing that appeals to you is the guessing-the-puzzle part, then I am sorry, because you are missing what I consider to be the good parts.

Like what you like, and enjoy it, and talk about what you like -- please! But I don't see why you have to trash other stuff in order to justify liking what you like.

Jan

·
Under Maintenance
26,698 Posts
murgatroyd said:
NCIS is not about keeping the viewers guessing about who the bad guy is, up until the last possible second, in a single episode. It is about people who do this job. The focus in on the people, not the plot.
Jan
Actually NCIS is a show that I just started watching and I have to say I really like it. It's offbeat and different from the standard formulas and multiple shows by the same producers. I guess all I was saying is I'm looking for some "new ideas" and am pretty tired of the standard cop show fare. I'm always on the lookout for something new and interesting. Of the newer ones my favorite is "Criminal Minds". Very well written IMO.

·
Don't stop believin'
26,095 Posts
I have liked Criminal Minds the few times I've watched it. I like Mandy Patinkin a lot. I think the reason I never got into the show was a logistical problem -- when it premiered, I had conflicts that prevented me picking it up on the TiVos.

For shows which are no longer on the air, one of my favorites was Nash Bridges, which took 'offbeat' to a whole new level. ;) It's definitely a show where you have to take a certain part of your mind that does reality-checking and put it aside while you are watching. But I loved the quirky charm of it -- the special unit which didn't have a home in the regular SFPD offices, so they camped out wherever they could find a home -- in some seasons, they were at the National Park with the Historic Ships, camped out on the Eureka, and in another they had a barge tied up (supposedly) on the Embaracadero (actually on Treasure Island).

And where else are you going to find a show with a detective who is a Deadhead?

Just like NCIS, great ensemble work, with Don Johnson playing the aging pretty-boy, Cheech Marin as his partner, Jeff Perry as the Deadhead detective, and other interesting folks rotaing through in various years. And it was shot in SF, so there are great small bits for those of us who live here -- like the time the guys get busted back to beat cops and they're sent to clean up the plaza near San Francisco's City Hall -- and when we cut to the next scene, they're actually at the Plaza! No shots of Vancouver! :up:

And there are all the great scenes with the 'Cuda.

Fun stuff -- and there are some quiet moments here and there with Jeff Perry which are some of the best bits of acting I've ever seen on TV.

I miss that show. Wish it would come out on DVD.

Jan

·
Grey Warden Reject
4,312 Posts
Originally, NCIS was Navy: NCIS, I believe. I always found that very funny. I was happy to see them fix that mistake.

I wish I could say I could really get into the 'non reality based' cop dramas (re: NCIS, Nash Bridges, etc) but I just couldn't do it. I tried but just couldn't. That would be 'of the modern era'.

I'll stand by my original statement regarding Miami Vice. Great show. Escapism sure. I was rather young when Miami Vice was on so the show may not stand up to today's standards.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Sirius Black said:
Originally, NCIS was Navy: NCIS, I believe. I always found that very funny. I was happy to see them fix that mistake.
That wasn't really a mistake, per se. They did it on purpose so as to make sure it didn't get confused with CSI, IIRC. So, maybe an "intentional mistake"?

·
Under Maintenance
26,698 Posts
murgatroyd said:
BTW, are you watching the current season?

The earlier ones are available on DVD. Just FYI.

Jan
Hey Jan. I just started watching this season based on some very positive reviews I'd seen here. Quite possibly one of your own! I did not know the previous seasons were available on DVD. I will have to look into that. Thanks! :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.