TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my TiVo credit card statement and inside was a flyer for TiVo HD.

The flyer states "Special Tivo offer for Barclays cardmembers" and includes a "special" website. The website is w3dotTiVodotcomslashbarclays. (Sorry for the spelling, tivocommunity won't let me post a URL).

I log onto website and, lo and behold, I can get a TiVo HD box for $299.99 and a free year of service when I purchase a two year subscription!!!

Thanks a lot TiVo. Not only can I not buy a TiVo HD with reward options, you send me a TiVo HD teaser that links to a deal that's AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE.

It's almost insulting enough to cancel my two TiVo subscriptions, cancel my TiVo credit card and get a DVR from the cable company or DirecTV.

That's great that you want to offer a special to TiVo cardmembers but please, don't try to sell me a "special"offer when everyone can get this offer.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
captain_video said:
I think it's called false advertising. :D
It is advertised as a "special" offer for Barclay's customers. Nothing special about it.

I'd complain to Barclay, not Tivo.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
The TiVo credit card is handled by Juniper Bank, not Barclay's. Obviously Barclay's paid for the flyer and paid TiVo to include it in their statement. In this case, TiVo would have no control over the content.

·
Registered
642 Posts
funtoupgrade said:
The TiVo credit card is handled by Juniper Bank, not Barclay's. Obviously Barclay's paid for the flyer and paid TiVo to include it in their statement. In this case, TiVo would have no control over the content.
:confused: Did you forget a wink smiley? If not, I have a few questions.

Why would Barclay's pay TiVo to advertise TiVos? How is it that TiVo accepted such payment, yet has no control over the flyer advertising their product? Doesn't TiVo still have trademarks, copyrights, or something? How did Barclay's hack into TiVo.com and create the page http://www.tivo.com/barclays?

Pedestrian Offer!

·
Banned
4,869 Posts
audio said:
Just got my TiVo credit card statement and inside was a flyer for TiVo HD.

The flyer states "Special Tivo offer for Barclays cardmembers" and includes a "special" website. The website is w3dotTiVodotcomslashbarclays. (Sorry for the spelling, tivocommunity won't let me post a URL).
Special ≠ Exclusive
It's almost insulting enough to cancel my two TiVo subscriptions, cancel my TiVo credit card and get a DVR from the cable company or DirecTV
I find the vast majority of advertising to be insulting to my intelligence.

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
Barclays or whichever bank sen tthe offer is hoping/banking on the cardholder not paying the balance in full and collecting interest.

Plus, I'm sure they struck some sort of advertising deal with Tivo and will get a commission for evert customer that signs up (same reason my many cell phone dealers offer free phones).

Yes, most if not all advertising is insulting even to a caveman (pun intended). Toss the offer, and move on.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,596 Posts
funtoupgrade said:
Barclay's took over Juniper and now handles Tivo credit cards.
and not very well in my opinion.

This happened earlier this year.

Diane

·
Early Adoptersaurus
1,234 Posts
I've probably seen offers like these for hundreds of products and services in my lifetime. I don't think I've ever been "so insulted" as to want to throw the product away. It's advertising. Don't take everything so personally.

You're special. Just like everyone else.

·
TiVotarian
2,612 Posts
funtoupgrade said:
Obviously Barclay's paid for the flyer and paid TiVo to include it in their statement. In this case, TiVo would have no control over the content.
Typically ads are paid by the company that has the product for sale, not the company that delivers the advertisement :)

·
Registered
25,992 Posts
I hate these kinds of "special offers" too. I've seen them on a lot more products than TiVo though.

You'd think in this case they could at least do SOMETHING special, like throw in some free Unbox movies, reduce the price by $10, give you a reduced price incl 1 year sub on a second machine, or something...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.