TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just checked, and my three systems seem to be back to normal operation…. I stopped by the Cox Store earlier, and they insisted that replacing themCableCards was resolving the issue.. I was skeptical. Unless somebody destroyed the pairing database…. Then replacing would”fix” the issue.
Also, I seem to recall from a previous time I was pairing CableCards - repairing seemed difficult because there was a time period required to de-activate the existing card. So it was easier to deactivate/unpair, then pair with a new one.
I guess I’ll cancel my service call for tomorrow afternoon.
replacing the cable card wasn't the problem; I didn't replace mine and the issue got resolved. they just say that when they don't know any better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
That was super nice of him to follow up with you! Tivo told me they would send us a message on our Tivos when the issue was resolved, but they never did. I asked him how we would even see it unless the issue was resolved. LOL
Exactly! How would you see any message if your screen is frozen?! And yes, it was considerate of the Cox repair guy to text me. My TiVo Bolt is still working OK now, knock on wood. A tech-savvy friend of mine who has TiVo with Verizon said something to the effect of this: Because Verizon doesn't use a separate cable card or tuning adaptor, it's less prone to problems. Apparently with Verizon, it's built in. I'm not sure if I'm recalling his words exactly. Perhaps someone with knowledge of Verizon could shed some light on this subject? I've been a faithful Cox customer for 23 years, but this latest episode has me wondering if I'd be better off switching to Verizon.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,137 Posts
Exactly! How would you see any message if your screen is frozen?! And yes, it was considerate of the Cox repair guy to text me. My TiVo Bolt is still working OK now, knock on wood. A tech-savvy friend of mine who has TiVo with Verizon said something to the effect of this: Because Verizon doesn't use a separate cable card or tuning adaptor, it's less prone to problems. Apparently with Verizon, it's built in. I'm not sure if I'm recalling his words exactly. Perhaps someone with knowledge of Verizon could shed some light on this subject? I've been a faithful Cox customer for 23 years, but this latest episode has me wondering if I'd be better off switching to Verizon.
Verizon uses CableCARDs, but they do not use tuning adapters.

Reactions: CranstonKS

·
wait.. I did what?
15,137 Posts
Interesting, thanks. Is the Cable Card separate (as with Cox), or is it built-in?
Not 100% sure what you're going at with that statement, while some CableCO's may have their own STB with a CableCARD in them, a Tivo requires a plain CableCARD, and the CableCARDs in STB and CableCO DVRs are usually permanently mounted in the unit and are not considered removable.
I'm sure Cox is the same.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have wanted to quit Cox, but I thought they were the only local option who had cable cards. So I thought I had to stay with them in order to keep using my Tivo (until it died a natural death anyway.) So, it is good to know if Verizon also supports Tivo.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
I have wanted to quit Cox, but I thought they were the only local option who had cable cards. So I thought I had to stay with them in order to keep using my Tivo (until it died a natural death anyway.) So, it is good to know if Verizon also supports Tivo.
Yes, Verizon Fios uses cablecards. Probably the most supportive of CC and easiest setup of any major cable company in the entire country.

They’ve supported cablecards for years.

And yes, I use them myself.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts