TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a flyer in the mail from COX advertising their Digital Telephone service. First question, any opinions on this from people who have it? Second will this work with my Tivo's daily call without having to do any modifications? This service doesn't appear to be VOIP in the sense of Vonage, so I would think it is a little better quality and more reliable, am I mistaken?

·
Dumb Blond
45,300 Posts
You are mistaken. It may not be VoIP but it has all the same characteristics that cause TiVos problems. I can't speak to this particular service.

·
TheGoal is Elevation
202 Posts
I had it for about 12-18 mos, no complaints and the daily calls worked fine. I only got rid of it when SBC led me to beleive DSL was avail in my area...

I have Sunrocket VoIP now, its even more feature packed and cheaper, but the daily calls are hit and miss. One reciever hasn't called in for 66 days...but its not big deal

·
Registered
332 Posts
DeDondeEs said:
I received a flyer in the mail from COX advertising their Digital Telephone service. First question, any opinions on this from people who have it? Second will this work with my Tivo's daily call without having to do any modifications? This service doesn't appear to be VOIP in the sense of Vonage, so I would think it is a little better quality and more reliable, am I mistaken?
They call it digital telephone because it's delivery is over THEIR COAX and FIBER networks in your neighborhood. It's available through my local cable provider -- Cox.

To me I call it DIALTONE or LANDLINE service. You pick up the phone, you get dialtone. *ALL* aspects were the same when I had QWEST.

No problems dialing with the TIVO whatsoever.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have telephone service thru my local cable provider. Have never had a problem with TIVO, FAX's or the occasional modem connection. It does not have the same problems people have encountered with VOIP. COX serves my area also.

DeDondeEs said:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts