TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a cablecard bracket with the same model I saw in another thread
here: https://www.onlinecomponents.com/samtec-pcmt13402ldra02sl.html?p=46409925

Question is, does this look like the correct bracket? I never heard of Samtec is this the same supplier Tivo uses. And if this is the correct bracket is anything missing or is that all you need. I also noticed they sell a
PCMT-134-02-L-D-RA-02-SL-S in addition to PCMT-134-02-L-D-RA-02-SL but there is no photo so I have no idea what that part is. Any help with this would be appreciated, I haven't cracked a Tivo open since I upgraded a HDD in my Series 3. TIA

· Just the facts ma'am
11,182 Posts

· Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
IMO:
  • The ~$11 'raw' PCMCIA-style socket (discussed extensively in the beginning of the 24 page thread LINKed to in Post #2 above) is for techies (the pin spacing does NOT match the hole spacing on the connector already soldered into the TiVo)
  • The ~$30 'assembly' that @JoeKustra referred to is a custom-made PCB adapter that converts the incorrect spacing on the 'raw' socket to the proper spacing for the TiVo connector
    [A cottage industry was born :cool:]

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMO:
  • The ~$11 'raw' PCMCIA-style socket (discussed extensively in the beginning of the 24 page thread LINKed to in Post #2 above) is for techies (the pin spacing does NOT match the hole spacing on the connector already soldered into the TiVo)
  • The ~$30 'assembly' that @JoeKustra referred to is a custom-made PCB adapter that converts the incorrect spacing on the 'raw' socket to the proper spacing for the TiVo connector
    [A cottage industry was born :cool:]
figures I missed it, I'll just have to keep checking back, thanks

· Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
figures I missed it, I'll just have to keep checking back, thanks
That eBay guy has been around for several months now. I'm guessing that he makes a small batch at a time. I looked at his 'Other Items' just out of curiosity the other day and saw some custom-made Raspberry Pi stuff so I imagine that he has access to a 'professional PCB board etching' machine of some sorts - MUCH nicer output that the full copper-clad PCBs that I created circuit transparencies for, exposed to the sunlight and then 'developed' in an acid bath to etch away the excess copper. :p

Also, if you're game, you could get the Avnet URL from the 'other thread' and watch for another 'Free Shipping Weekend' like most of us took advantage of (last year, IIRC). Maybe for the holidays.

$11 vs $34 (but the $34 method is so much prettier! :kissingheart: )

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
d
That eBay guy has been around for several months now. I'm guessing that he makes a small batch at a time. I looked at his 'Other Items' just out of curiosity the other day and saw some custom-made Raspberry Pi stuff so I imagine that he has access to a 'professional PCB board etching' machine of some sorts - MUCH nicer output that the full copper-clad PCBs that I created circuit transparencies for, exposed to the sunlight and then 'developed' in an acid bath to etch away the excess copper. :p

Also, if you're game, you could get the Avnet URL from the 'other thread' and watch for another 'Free Shipping Weekend' like most of us took advantage of (last year, IIRC). Maybe for the holidays.

$11 vs $34 (but the $34 method is so much prettier! :kissingheart: )
Could I have the sellers name so I can add him to favorites and keep an eye out

· Registered
3,212 Posts
Is it possible to remove the cable card slot from a Roamio Basic and install it on a Roamio OTA?

· Registered
3,212 Posts
Yep. Easy as pie and a perfect fit. If you can obtain a donor Roamio Basic for less than $32, that would be an ideal solution.
Plus an extra remote, hard drive and power supply. Might be worth a little more for the piece of mind.

· in the other Alabama
20,962 Posts
Much Thanks!!!
It came today. I put it into my new Roamio OTA. Only tip: be sure the screw holes are aligned. On my first try I missed by a row. So I pulled it and moved it. Two small screws included (very small phillips). I also had an unpaired card. It fit perfectly, but it's not activated so the Roamio didn't see it. I could get a new card from my cable company, but while I could afford the $3/month, I just don't feel like driving 20 miles to their office. And I don't really need it.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It came today. I put it into my new Roamio OTA. Only tip: be sure the screw holes are aligned. On my first try I missed by a row. So I pulled it and moved it. Two small screws included (very small phillips). I also had an unpaired card. It fit perfectly, but it's not activated so the Roamio didn't see it. I could get a new card from my cable company, but while I could afford the $3/month, I just don't feel like driving 20 miles to their office. And I don't really need it.
Awesome, was just able to catch one posted by rdn916 on ebay, was $29 I think $35 with postage. My mother will be ecstatic, I got this OTA Roamio for her. Now I just need to pop in a 3tb. Kinda wish I had gone this route for the one in my house. I myself bought a Roamio pro with lifetime last year on sale. Cost me twice as much, oh well you live you learn.

· in the other Alabama
20,962 Posts
Awesome, was just able to catch one posted by rdn916 on ebay, was $29 I think $35 with postage. My mother will be ecstatic, I got this OTA Roamio for her. Now I just need to pop in a 3tb. Kinda wish I had gone this route for the one in my house. I myself bought a Roamio pro with lifetime last year on sale. Cost me twice as much, oh well you live you learn.
Sounds good. Tomorrow I may pull the cable card from my Roamio. It's not really paired since I changed the hard drive. It has a channel map but the VAL: ? which doesn't bother my cable feed. I'm going to put the 1TB drive back and see how I feel. I would like to say I know it works on cable.

· in the other Alabama
20,962 Posts
Well, color me stupid. :confused: So if you plug in a cable card upside down it doesn't work? Yeah, I did that. I opened the lid and removed the card. I then noticed the big arrow and kicked myself. I inserted it correctly and when I power it up it told me a cable card was inserted. I can read the data on the card, so I'm going to call this one a win. No need to swap cards. Bracket works. Happy ending. :D

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, color me stupid. :confused: So if you plug in a cable card upside down it doesn't work? Yeah, I did that. I opened the lid and removed the card. I then noticed the big arrow and kicked myself. I inserted it correctly and when I power it up it told me a cable card was inserted. I can read the data on the card, so I'm going to call this one a win. No need to swap cards. Bracket works. Happy ending. :D
Nice, looking forward to receiving my unit soon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.