TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Wake-Maker!
1,541 Posts
You can get now get XP MCE thur any MS system builder(MS OEM system builder program)
This begs the question why would you want to take a great thing like Tivo and put some sucky MS OS on it?

·
Ub3r Techno Geek
425 Posts
^^^^ My point exactly ^^^^^

·
Registered
15 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Cletus
I'll tell you how, but only if you help me convert my Accord into a lawnmower.

Piggers said:
I bet monster garage could do it. LOL!

Cletus, Piggers, they already did!!
They used a Mustang and cut a football field at 60 miles a hour!

Seriously though, I have heard some whispering at the shows.
Some higher end vendors have the software add-ons. If you can get to know some of them you may find what you need. I do not know how legal it would be so you'd be on your own.

I know you can do it with a Linux box but I haven't had the desire to look at digital pictures on my analog tv.
There are plenty of other options without doing it through a TiVo.
Cheaper too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Originally posted by Mephistopheles
If you own an xbox, you can allows mod it and use it as a multi-media center.
Yeah a Media Center of a sort, the Xbox does not record Analog TV shows, there are no inputs for that sort of thing. Hence the reason I purchased a TiVo unit as well, so I basically now have 4 components for a Media Center. TiVo - for recording TV shows, Computer for Networked storage and viewing various style videos on a Digital Projector (DVI connected) and Analog 27" TV (though this is now hooked direct to the TiVo), DTS Receiver for excellent sound (Surround), Xbox for gaming (with future mods waiting to install Music services and alternate option for viewing video files)

This is much better then what I used to have in the entertainment center, removed Standalone DVD, VHS, MultiCD player, Dual tape deck, phonograph and Reel to Reel. Needless to say this was a wiring mess from hell.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Actually you could put modded Xboxes in other rooms, connect them to your LAN and stream video off of your TiVo to these Xboxes. But I don't think we're supposed to talk about such things on this forum!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Originally posted by wakozun
Actually you could put modded Xboxes in other rooms, connect them to your LAN and stream video off of your TiVo to these Xboxes. But I don't think we're supposed to talk about such things on this forum!
Why? There are far cheaper things out there that can do this also.

·
Registered
326 Posts
A modest, modded Xbox still costs ~$200 a pop. Although ,it is a nice solution for other reasons. it can be an Internet terminal, DVD player, DVD ripper, MP3 player, Linux box, Picture and video viewer/streamer... and oh , yeah.. it does video games too.

BTW, Why are people still posting in this thread? It started with such an absurb premise. ;^P

·
Registered
3 Posts
Instead of putting Windows onto an already perfectly fine Linux machine... is there anyway to replace the Tivo software with some sort of other Linux PVR software? In essence, keep the box, replace the software, and lose the subscription.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I believe some people have gotten a plain vanilla Linux working on a Tivo S1 box. That's relatively easy because Linux is open-source. The problem is writing the software that can take advantage of the hardware. That part of the Tivo OS is closed source. It would probably be a huge untertaking and would invite litigation to any author who did not remain anonymous. All in all, it would be cheaper and easier to subcribe your Tivo or go with a "tivo basic" enabled Tivo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So in other words my Series 1 is utterly worthless trash now that I have no home phone line and don't want to pay for tivo service anymore (I have an seperate MCE Machine). there is nothing I can do with this hardware except rip out the crap HD and toss it in a crap pc? It doesn't have to be a DVR.

·
Registered
326 Posts
merdock777 said:
So in other words my Series 1 is utterly worthless trash now that I have no home phone line and don't want to pay for tivo service anymore (I have an seperate MCE Machine). there is nothing I can do with this hardware except rip out the crap HD and toss it in a crap pc? It doesn't have to be a DVR.
A series 1 will do manual recordings but with your attitude you're better off selling on Ebay or just toss it out a window. Doing anything useful with it will take some work and could lead to frustration.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.