TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Tivo Hawaiian Style
816 Posts
Originally posted by stevel
A comment - at present, you cannot obtain Windows XP Media Center Edition without buying a box configured with it - Microsoft doesn't sell it separately.

The TiVo hardware is very different from what any PC-type operating system would expect, even ignoring the use of an unsupported CPU.
Although you can't buy Windows XP Media Center Edition right now, it is far from unobtainable. It's all over the net...not that it interests me at all..

·
Registered
981 Posts
Originally posted by rjcTivo04
Just as a thought. Would it be possible to convert a Phillips DSR7040 DirecTivo box into a Windows XP Media Center?

The reason I ask is I have been doing some extensive reading on additional media playing options such as playing MP3s, displaying photos and such and from what I understand only the actual TiVo brand series 2 boxes support the Home Media Option, which by the way I think is rediculous you have to pay for. Why would I have to pay to share files within my network? And hacking the Linux OS just seems like a real pain in the ass.
This is a wind up, surely? :)

If you think "hacking the Linux OS" is a "real pain in the ass", just go right ahead and try installing Windows MCE on a TiVo (you might want to try something simpler to cut your teeth on, might I suggest OpenVMS, OS/400 or if you're feeling brave Plan9). Let me know how you get on. I would, however, recommend you do some "extensive reading" on computer architecture and software engineering beforehand - it will save you a lot of time/effort/pain.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
244 Posts
what processor is powering the mars rover?

The rovers use a RAD6000 computer produced by BAE systems. This processor is nearly identical in architecture to an old PowerPC processor used in early Macintosh computers. By today's standards, these processors are slow. They run at 20 megahertz, about 1/100th the speed of a typical desktop computer today. They have 128 kilobytes (KB) of RAM, 256 KB of flash memory and some ROM to hold the boot code and operating system. There are no disk drives.
Although they are slow and incredibly expensive ($200K to $300K per computer), they have two big advantages:
They are radiation-hardened so they are immune to the cosmic radiation falling on Mars.
They run the ultra-reliable VxWorks real-time operating system from Wind River Systems.
This computer makes the rover that much more reliable than a typical desktop computer because it is never crashing or corrupting data

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
Actually the original Macs used Motorola 68000 chips. The current Macintosh architecture is PowerPC (although the actual CPU chips probably have very little in common with the chips in the rovers - those would be derived from designs that are many years old).

A modern PowerPC chip like the G5 would be a disaster on a space mission - all those tiny transistors make it very sensitive to high-energy particles like cosmic rays.

And before someone asks, no, you can't install Windows XP Media Centre on Spirir...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Even if the hardware was up to the specs required by MCE, it still wouldn't work. The Tivo processor is a MIPS. This is a completely different architecture than the Intel processors and that is the only one Windows can run on.

You can run Linux on an Intel processor because Linux can be compiled for (just about) any architecture you like. Hence I can run the same version of the Linux kernel on my two Intel-based PCs and on the Tivo as wlel.

·
Rebate Whore
333 Posts
Originally posted by Robert S
bobnick: The Series 1 TiVoes have 42MHz PowerPC processors. Oh, and 16Mb (yes, megabytes) of RAM.
Actually, the log file from the last time I rebooted says that my processor is 54MHz:

Code:
Jan 1 00:00:15 (none) kernel: Memory configured for 16MB 
Jan 1 00:00:15 (none) kernel: CPU clock speed: 54MHz 
Jan 1 00:00:15 (none) kernel: ^MTeleworld Customer Device Starting Up!
--Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
You might want to check out the AVS forum's HTPC area, you might get some ideas that are more *feasable*

www avsforum com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=11

There are alot of other options out there other than MCE

-Tim

·
Registered
120 Posts
Originally posted by mrbubbles
MCE on modded xboxes? Got a link?

I have Xbox Media Player and Center on my modded xbox but MCE would be cool to try. I know MS has their own media player too but it is not called MCE AFAIK.
I may be mistaken. xbox media center is what they are running. That's what I get for reading stuff at 3AM! Sorry for any confusion! (xbox-scene.com does have some cool stuff though...how's xbox media center working for you?)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by Nihilator
Actually, the log file from the last time I rebooted says that my processor is 54MHz:

Code:
Jan 1 00:00:15 (none) kernel: Memory configured for 16MB 
Jan 1 00:00:15 (none) kernel: CPU clock speed: 54MHz 
Jan 1 00:00:15 (none) kernel: ^MTeleworld Customer Device Starting Up!
--Chris
are you overclocking your tivo? :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
Stick with your TiVo software.

Here's an article from our local paper. I bust out laughing after I read the first 3 paragraphs.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/worktech/cst-fin-andy03.html

This is why we have technology: I recorded the Super Bowl on a PC running Microsoft's Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004, and watched something else, intending to just zip to the good parts of the game, such as the final few plays, the commercials or a brief appearance of frontal female nudity.

Golly if that plan didn't work out perfectly. When I heard about Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction," I smugly picked up the remote, woke my Media Center from sleep ... and discovered that Windows XP had frozen up sometime during the first quarter of the game, requiring a restart.

This isn't emblematic of the Media Center experience, but I'm going to mention it just out of spite. It stung. I've never had a computer that failed to deliver images of naked women before..
Edit: Fixed quote

·
Registered
51 Posts
Originally posted by SteveWinNJ
I may be mistaken. xbox media center is what they are running. That's what I get for reading stuff at 3AM! Sorry for any confusion! (xbox-scene.com does have some cool stuff though...how's xbox media center working for you?)
XBOX media center is awesome. I have all my content on my linux server and xbox media center streams it via regular Windows (SMB) networking. Music, pictures, video, etc. Great interface (skins also). IMDB and CDDB info lookup. Audio via optical and video via component cables. I use my universal remote to control it. It is everything I could ask for plus it plays xbox games.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Originally posted by mrbubbles
XBOX media center is awesome. I have all my content on my linux server and xbox media center streams it via regular Windows (SMB) networking. Music, pictures, video, etc. Great interface (skins also). IMDB and CDDB info lookup. Audio via optical and video via component cables. I use my universal remote to control it. It is everything I could ask for plus it plays xbox games.
Cool. I'm in the process of figuring out what direction to go, but the xbox media center sounds like a great thin-client solution. I'm a PVR/DVR nut with my UltimateTV units, ReplayTV unit, Dell Media Center 2004 pc, and HD-Tivo on order. I also now have an extra 1.8mhz PC to play with. Sounds like I can use the old pc to serve the xbox and my replaytv unit. I've got some reading to do. I have to figure out if I should dump the Media Center 2004 while it's still fairly new and go the xbox media center root. What other forums would recommend for the xbox mod. Thanks again!:D

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.