TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5,700 Posts
I actually just discovered the awesomeness of doing this, since I have a lot of AVI's of shows, and can't stand watching on my computer. Don't know why it never occured to see if it was possible.

Anyway, I'll be honest, the process can be a bit lengthy (time-wise), but that really depends on your connection speed. I'm connected via wi-fi so it's a bit slower then if you have a hardline connection.

I convert my .avi files to MPEG2's, set at (i think) 720X480. It usually takes about 10-15 minutes to convert a show (about 44 minutes). Once that's done, you move the file to your "Tivo Recordings" folder under My Documents. Then, go into your Now Playing List on the tivo, and at the bottom you should see a little computer icon, and the name of your network. Go in there and you should see your file. Select it, then pick "Start Transfering now" or whatever it says. You can watch while it transfers, but it's annoying, so I just let it transfer while I do other stuff, then once its completed, the file will be in your Now Playing List.

Have fun...it beats watching stuff on the computer screen

· Registered
5,700 Posts
Check out TiVo.Net or pyTiVo (see my sig) and you can eliminate the unnecessary step of converting .AVIs to compliant MPEGs and just transcode the .AVIs directly onto your TiVo.
That's my next adventure. I did a little looking around on the boards the other day and I did see that method mentioned, but what I was reading seemed to go beyond what my brain is willing to comprehend, haha. Is what you mention a direct way to transcode the avi's? What I mean is, is it "user friendly" for someone good with computers, but not too good?

thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.