TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· wait.. I did what?
15,512 Posts
Considering that was SOP in every previous product line to have an OTA/Cable model and the fact it was dropped for the edge, suggests they're done even trying to have a shared platform.

Reactions: pl1

· Registered
414 Posts
Considering that was SOP in every previous product line to have an OTA/Cable model and the fact it was dropped for the edge, suggests they're done even trying to have a shared platform.
Some tuner/demods that can support cable can also tune OTA. However, the market that the operator version of the Edge was designed for (the consumer product is just a rebrand/new plastic) did not require OTA functionality so the design probably used one of the less expensive QAM only tuner/demods (maybe the MxL248?).

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think that is so. I've had TiVos since the Humax (which DID allow both cable and OTA in one unit), but once cable cards came out, you had to choose which model you wanted. If I'm wrong, please tell me how I can convert my cable card Roamio to get OTA. Thanks.

· Registered
2,169 Posts
I don't think that is so. I've had TiVos since the Humax (which DID allow both cable and OTA in one unit), but once cable cards came out, you had to choose which model you wanted. If I'm wrong, please tell me how I can convert my cable card Roamio to get OTA. Thanks.
This is not true. I currently own a Roamio TCD846500 and a Bolt TCD849500V, both have a cableCARD slot and do OTA OR Cable. Premiers could do both OTA and Cable at the same time. Here is a list of all of the recent models.

· Cheesehead
11,772 Posts
Others have already answered the questions that have been asked, but, have to throw in my $0.02. 'Cause that's me. :)

My 2-tuner TiVoHD can do OTA and cable, my 4-tuner Bolt can do OTA or cable, but my 6-tuner Roamio Plus can only do cable. I only used my S2ST and S2DT with analog cable and don't know if they'd've worked with an antenna.

· Registered
2,169 Posts
Others have already answered the questions that have been asked, but, have to throw in my $0.02. 'Cause that's me. :)

My 2-tuner TiVoHD can do OTA and cable, my 4-tuner Bolt can do OTA or cable, but my 6-tuner Roamio Plus can only do cable. I only used my S2ST and S2DT with analog cable and don't know if they'd've worked with an antenna.
Almost every S2 can work with an antenna. Tivo Customer Support Community

EDIT: While an S2 can work with an analog NTSC signal, it can not work with the current HD ATSC signal. That started with the S3 HD.

· TDL shepherd
17,753 Posts
Is that true? I know we were able to get ReplayTVs working with ATSC after the transition, but it required some customization to get them working with an OTA digital converter box. This TCF thread tells a similar tale for the TiVo Series 2:

· Registered
2,169 Posts
Is that true? I know we were able to get ReplayTVs working with ATSC after the transition, but it required some customization to get them working with an OTA digital converter box. This TCF thread tells a similar tale for the TiVo Series 2:
No, before the transition it was NTSC. But still antenna, which the OP alluded to. This Weaknees chart shows digital antenna ATSC starting with the Series 3 HD model. TiVo® HD DVR Comparison Chart - compare Series3 and Series4 models

EDIT: I modified my post to reflect ATSC vs NTSC.

· wait.. I did what?
15,512 Posts

EDIT: While an S2 can work with an analog NTSC signal, it can not work with the current HD ATSC signal. That started with the S3 HD.
While the chart supports that, having been here when the DT units came out and didn't have an OTA tuner, I'd lower that statement of " almost every S2"
There were a LOT of DT units out there and they didn't have OTA capability.

· Registered
2,169 Posts
While the chart supports that, having been here when the DT units came out and didn't have an OTA tuner, I'd lower that statement of " almost every S2"
There were a LOT of DT units out there and they didn't have OTA capability.
I was just basing that from the chart I linked to. 19 out of the 21 models say they have antenna.

EDIT: Maybe I should have said "almost every S2 model".

· wait.. I did what?
15,512 Posts
I was just basing that from the chart I linked to. 19 out of the 21 models say they have antenna.

EDIT: Maybe I should have said "almost every S2 model".
I know, and the model list doesn't reflect how big the push was to sell the later cheaper DTs that didn't have the NTSC tuner, there were a ton of them out there!

· Registered
2,169 Posts
I know, and the model list doesn't reflect how big the push was to sell the later cheaper DTs that didn't have the NTSC tuner, there were a ton of them out there!
Question. A Dual Tuner S2 could only record one cable STB video feed at a time, correct? Using an IR transmitter, only one STB channel could be tuned at a time. It couldn't control two analog feeds, I presume.

Therefore, wouldn't a Series 2 (W/O OTA) be a single tuner? And wouldn't that be cheaper than a dual tuner? Or am I missing something? For that matter, how did the DT work if there was only one coax in? One S-Video from the cable STB and one coax from the antenna?

My memory is failing me, because I know I had an S1 and an S2, but I don't remember using them for anything other than cable. And I don't remember if I ever had a DT S2.

Rectangle Font Logo Brand Number
Rectangle Font Circle Number Parallel

· wait.. I did what?
15,512 Posts
Question. A Dual Tuner S2 could only record one cable STB video feed at a time, correct? Using an IR transmitter, only one STB channel could be tuned at a time. It couldn't control two analog feeds, I presume.

Therefore, wouldn't a Series 2 (W/O OTA) be a single tuner? And wouldn't that be cheaper than a dual tuner? Or am I missing something? For that matter, how did the DT work if there was only one coax in? One S-Video from the cable STB and one coax from the antenna?

My memory is failing me, because I know I had an S1 and an S2, but I don't remember using them for anything other than cable. And I don't remember if I ever had a DT S2.
The early DT would do a cable box or satellite via ir blaster, OTA via COAX, or analog cable via COAX and premium cable via cable box and ir, etc.
A later DT could tune analog cable feeds via COAX and then a Satellite tuner via blaster, or analog cable via COAX and premium cable via cable box and ir.
The later DT was a lot cheaper than the earlier ones both in cost and build quality, that's why there were so many of them out there.

Reactions: pl1

· Registered
1 Posts
uk have this via virgem media In a nutshell The Virgin TV V6 box, powered by TiVo, is Virgin Media’s smallest, smartest and fastest box yet. It is half the size of Virgin Media’s previous TiVo box with 10x the power and packed with a load of extra features. What you need to know Record six shows – watch a seventh • Record six programmes while watching a seventh recording, or stream from services such as Netflix • 1TB of storage allowing 500 hours of SD recordings or 100 hours of HD recordings 4K ready • All Virgin TV V6 boxes support 4K Ultra-High Definition (UHD) TV with Netflix and YouTube available in 4K from launch • HDR compatible to ensure the very best picture quality for people with compatible TVs* Virgin TV Anywhere app • Watch live TV and on demand box sets anywhere over WiFi • Selected Virgin TV V6 box recordings available around the home and offline • Remotely set, cancel and delete recordings on any box powered by TiVo • Use mobile device

1 - 20 of 27 Posts