TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Finally-My ugly mug
1,438 Posts
amys13 said:
I am trying to connect my series2 Tivo to a wireless network. I have Verizon DSL, a Westell Versalink 327 modem/router, and am using the Netgear USB wireless adapter available through the Tivo site.

When I configure the TCP/IP settings, it gives two separate error messages depending on my choices:

1. If I select obtain an IP address automatically, the error message states that the DHCP server cannot be found.

2. If I select use a static IP address, the error message states that the gateway cannot be found.

I have talked to tech support at both Verizon Online and Tivo and neither is sure how to fix the problem. My latest conversation with Tivo revealed an incompatability between Verizon/Westell and Tivo. They suggested that I get the DHCP Client ID from Verizon, but when I talk to Verizon they do not know what that is. Otherwise, they suggested a software download for my computer, but I am unclear how that will impact my router and/or Tivo.

I know that I can't be the only Verizon DSL customer who has tried to connect Tivo to a wireless network, so I'm hoping that someone will have advice on next steps that I can take.

Thanks.
Getting a DHCP Address from the network has NOTHING to do with your DSL Service.

I am assuming that your modem/router is wireless. The configuration you need to access is in that unit. Make sure DHCP is on. If WEP is on, you need that code. Make sure MAC Address filtering is not on. If it is, you need the MAC Address of your wireless adapter from the TiVo and authorize that address in your router/modem.

·
Finally-My ugly mug
1,438 Posts
amys13 said:
The adapter works fine. I looked up the DHCP information mentioned in the previous post but it didn't work. When I asked Verizon about it, they said that their DSL operates on a PPoE system instead of DHCP so the DHCP Client ID is not something that they can provide. They also said that I cannot use a single static IP because I am not a business customer.

Tivo still doesn't know how to connect to a PPoE network and seems confused when I even ask the question. I'm tired of both Tivo and Verizon giving me the run around, each placing responsibility on the other to figure it out. I also tried calling Westell, the modem/router manufacturer, but they don't support their products if they have been used by Verizon. I can't be the only one with this issue since I'm using a major ISP...if anyone has an idea of next steps, please let me know.

Thanks you, thank you.
Once again, this has NOTHING to do with your DSL. Your DSL connects to the outside world with the router. Your router connects to each pc/unit in your network.

·
Finally-My ugly mug
1,438 Posts
TSean007 said:
amys13, I was just messing with this same problem last night. I got the TIVO to see and connect to my wireless network using the Westell modem/router provided by Verizon DSL, but ONLY when I turned the WEP off. No matter what I tried, the TIVO would not see the network with WEP on. I am considering going back to my Netgear router and just using the Westell as a bridge, since it worked fine with TIVO before. Also the signal strength with this Westell router is much weaker than the Netgear.
This is not advisable. All you have to do is enter the WEP code on the TiVo to connect using WEP. WEP is a way to keep the whole neighborhood from using your connection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.