TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to connect my series2 Tivo to a wireless network. I have Verizon DSL, a Westell Versalink 327 modem/router, and am using the Netgear USB wireless adapter available through the Tivo site.

When I configure the TCP/IP settings, it gives two separate error messages depending on my choices:

1. If I select obtain an IP address automatically, the error message states that the DHCP server cannot be found.

2. If I select use a static IP address, the error message states that the gateway cannot be found.

I have talked to tech support at both Verizon Online and Tivo and neither is sure how to fix the problem. My latest conversation with Tivo revealed an incompatability between Verizon/Westell and Tivo. They suggested that I get the DHCP Client ID from Verizon, but when I talk to Verizon they do not know what that is. Otherwise, they suggested a software download for my computer, but I am unclear how that will impact my router and/or Tivo.

I know that I can't be the only Verizon DSL customer who has tried to connect Tivo to a wireless network, so I'm hoping that someone will have advice on next steps that I can take.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The adapter works fine. I looked up the DHCP information mentioned in the previous post but it didn't work. When I asked Verizon about it, they said that their DSL operates on a PPoE system instead of DHCP so the DHCP Client ID is not something that they can provide. They also said that I cannot use a single static IP because I am not a business customer.

Tivo still doesn't know how to connect to a PPoE network and seems confused when I even ask the question. I'm tired of both Tivo and Verizon giving me the run around, each placing responsibility on the other to figure it out. I also tried calling Westell, the modem/router manufacturer, but they don't support their products if they have been used by Verizon. I can't be the only one with this issue since I'm using a major ISP...if anyone has an idea of next steps, please let me know.

Thanks you, thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, that is the unit - it is a modem/router combo. I also have a Linksys router that is not hooked up - I didn't think that I needed it with the Westell. Should I be using that in addition to the Westell? I'm not sure how I would hook it up - perhaps disable the wireless from the Westell?

This is helpful - any other advice you have would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the feedback - i'll try these suggestions when i get home tonight. TSean007 - i'll keep you posted and hopefully we can find a solution!

thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
after much trying, i gave up and sent my wireless adapter back. even with the wep key off and with the linksys router worked into the chain, i still could not get it to recognize the dhcp server. the 50ft phone cord stapled to the baseboard of my living room is much less of a hassle.

sorry i couldn't be of more help to those of you having the same issue!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.