TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say I tell Tivo to record a show. It notifies me that the recording conflicts with one of my season passes. Now, I tell it to cancel the season pass and record the new show. Later, I decide that I don't want to record the new show, so I cancel the recording.

Is Tivo smart enough to pick up the season pass and record it in the now open time slot or will both recordings now be cancelled forever?

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you tell it to cancel your season pass it will cancel it. In a case like your describing, schedule them with the conflict, then change your priority listings in your ToDo list. Make the one you want to record a higher priority. If you cancel the second one, it will fall back to the other one.

·
Registered
20,384 Posts
It depends on what you meant by "cancel the season pass".

If you get the screen that says that this recording will conflict with a season pass episode, do you want to record it anyway. And then you say yes, but later cancel that recording, then the season pass will reschedule its episode.

If you just go to the ToDo List, or View Upcoming episodes and say do not record this episode, then the TiVo won't. It will not care if you later scheduled and canceled some other recording in that time slot.

So saying recording this program instead of a season pass episode will allow the TiVo to reschedule the season pass episode. Either to a later showing or back to the original time slot if it become available.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By "cancel the season pass," I meant cancel one or more episodes of the season pass program on the screen that shows up when you try to record a show.

Johnathan, when will the season pass episode be rescheduled? Immediately after the other show is cancelled?

·
Registered
26,137 Posts
Kivo said:
Johnathan, when will the season pass episode be rescheduled? Immediately after the other show is cancelled?
No not immediately... at some point in the future.

I know that's vague. But Tivos seem to run a "major" show-scheduling job in the middle of the night. If you cancel items in the To Do list, other items will eventually fill in before the next middle-of-the-night thing..

but definitely not immediately.

(This is similar to one of the reasons I don't use Save Until I Delete, even though I get really mad the rare times something I recorded is deleted automatically by the Tivo.. That's because it DOESN'T recalculate the To Do list immediately. If it did, then I could keep everything Save Until I Delete, and the act of my deleting the shows would then let it very quickly fill up the To Do list again.. but it takes a while, so I can't use this technique.)

Also, if I end up deleting shows before I leave for work, sometimes I'll end up with other shows recorded.. which has caused the aforementioned being mad at shows deleted symptom.. (since often when I remove items from the To Do list, it's because I know there won't be enough room to record it all)

·
Registered
20,384 Posts
mattack said:
No not immediately... at some point in the future.
General rule of thumb is 1 to 2 hours. If the show you want rescheduled would air sooner than that better play it safe an manually request that the show be recorded, rather than waiting for the season pass to reschedule it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts