TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older HDTV with only 1 component input capable of doing more than 480p. I'm wanting to put both my Series 3 and my Comcast DVR box on the same TV. I picked up a Psyclone component switcher from Best Buy and tried it, but I get all kinds of weird video problems. The Comcast box seems to work ok, but the Tivo has the issues.

Does anyone on here use a component switcher successfully with their Series 3? If so, which one?

Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm using the Impact Acoustics (from Amazon also, got the same $43 price), it works great, can't see any image quality difference on my 55" RP-CRT HDTV.
For the $50ish price level, Amazon has a passive JVC RX-66 model (no optical), if you don't like another wall-wart device could try that.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have done a bunch of A/B comparisons to evaluate the PQ of HD signals delivered via DVI or HDMI and those delivered via component cables. The verdict: there was no discernable difference between them. I, too, have an older HDTV, so my S3 is connected to it via component cables. It looks great.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the CSM42 from this company http://www.video-storm.com/ . It works really well. Their products aren't the sexiest looking, but do the job and each input can be programmed to respond to a IR remote control signal.

This particular model is a 4x2 matrix switch and will switch component video, analog and digital audio (coax or optical).

·
Registered
22 Posts
brewman said:
I have the CSM42 from this company http://www.video-storm.com/ . It works really well. Their products aren't the sexiest looking, but do the job and each input can be programmed to respond to a IR remote control signal.

This particular model is a 4x2 matrix switch and will switch component video, analog and digital audio (coax or optical).
I have the same switch. It works great even though it looks like crap. I have 4 source devices with component video and 2 TVs. Each output is independent of the other one. I did not notice any degradation in video quality over a direct connection.

·
DA BEARS!!!
732 Posts
I'm looking into this Cables to Go 40324 which is about $46 at Amazon. I definitely need to have the remote and not just hard buttons (I'm lazy and don't want to get up from the couch of course!). Is this still the best bang for the buck out there for a 3-in-1 component switch (with remote)?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Wow, it just jumped $11 since I bought it a week ago at $43.00
Amazon's prices can change every few days, depending on their supplier. Never jump at their first listed price, watch for a week or so first. Now that their 30 price guarantee no longer exists, it is even more important to do this.

So anyway, I need a Component Switch and with so many choices can't decide. I know it needs to be able to switch between at least 3 devices.

Is it possible for one component input to share several devices? As in a Tivo which must be connected all the time and say an XBox or DVD player that is only used part of the time.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
But is it possible to share a TV component input with several devices? I mean at the same time without having to use a switch, like with a split cable. But not with those devices on at the same time. I hope I explained this correctly.

·
Registered
156 Posts
But is it possible to share a TV component input with several devices? I mean at the same time without having to use a switch, like with a split cable. But not with those devices on at the same time. I hope I explained this correctly.
I think the answer to the first question is yes, but no when you add in your clarification. You have to have a switch of some kind.

A Sharp TV repairman screwed up the HDMI cable embedded in the wall of our master bedroom leaving only one set of component cables to be shared by our TiVo and DVD player. Our installer set up an automatic switch that picks up the DVD player when it is on and otherwise the TiVo. My recollection is that it cost 300 or so dollars, which Sharp picked up. I was surprised at the cost.

·
Registered
869 Posts
So why won't a cable splitter work with component inputs for several devices (like with sharing audio inputs)? Why does it have to be a switch, for one device at a time?
I don't know the answer to your question. Possibly the resulting weaker signal causes noticeable degredation in picture quality. Experiment and see what happens when a component cable is split and sent to two or more devices and whether a receiving device being on or off makes a difference to another device receiving the split signal.

·
UHD Addict
24,177 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
This is just what I was looking for! So I don't need a switch to split component inputs.

So if Understand it correctly then a non amplified splitter would end up reducing the video signal to where it would reduce the picture quality. Therefore, switches allow only one component connection so no reduced signal occurs. This Radio Shack distribution amplifier prevents the reduced signal when allowing several component inputs to share a connection without having to switch between devices.

So I guess since both the splitter and switch boxes are around the same price, the question is which is better to get?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.