TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This situation is tricky so please bear with me. I have 2 Tivos in the same room and 2 remotes. One is a Roamio Pro and the other is a TiVO Edge each with their own remotes. I was using a Tivo Slide remote with the Roamio Pro and using the remote that came with TiVO Edge to control the Edge TiVo. Everything was great. The TiVO Slide did not impact the Edge and the Edge remote was not impacting the Roamio Pro.

Unfortunately some months ago, some of the buttons on the TivO Slide started to get sticky until one fine day they simply stopped working. I purchased a non-slide replacement with the intention to apply it only to the Roamio Pro but to my annoyance, it appears to control the TiVO edge as well. My suspicion is that this replacement remote is operating in RF mode?

Is there a way to have the replacement remote not impact the TiVO Edge?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
TiVo's can be switched to 'alternate' Remote Address'.

They all come set to Address 0.

Typically, you would switch one of them to Address 1 and the other to Address 2.

They'll all always respond to Address 0.

A Harmony Remote can handle this scenario fairly seamlessly.

-KP

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm... this is interesting information KP. i am not sure how to do that particular bit of addressing switching explicitly but while i was waiting on a response, I tried one last thing on a hunch.

I turned off my TiVo Edge and then I went to the Remote/CableCard setup section of the TiVO menu hierarchy on the Roamio Pro and selected the Remote Pairing menu option and then I paired my replacement remote with the Roamio following the onscreen instructions.

I tested to make sure that the replacement remote could control the Roamio and then I powered back on the TiVO Edge. Lo and behold, the replacement remote was no longer impacting the TiVO Edge and the TiVO Edge's Remote was not impacting the Roamio. All is right with the world again.

It's funny but for a time I tried to use the TiVO app's remote control feature but after an initial period where that worked it starting flaking out in a horrible way. The connection would drop and I had to continually run a rescan to get things working again until eventually even that stopped working. Added to the fact that you lose the tactile sensations that a physical remote provides, I am happy to call good riddance to the Tivo App Remote implementation. It's kinda crap...at least from my perspective.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
My suspicion is that this replacement remote is operating in RF mode?
Is there a way to have the replacement remote not impact the TiVO Edge?
If the LED is red when you press a key the remote is in IR mode, amber in RF mode. IR mode is common to all TiVo boxes. You could switch the Roamio's remote to RF mode. I have two RF TiVo boxes next to reach other in RF mode. But to avoid a ton of frustration, I suggest you power off the Edge when pairing the Roamio. I always reset the TiVo and it's remote. Here is more information:
Knowledge: How to Perform a Global Reset for my Remote Control (tivo.com)
RF remote not working at all with new Roamio OTA | TiVoCommunity Forum

BTW, To enter RF mode: TiVo button and "D".
To enter IR mode: TiVo button and "C".

·
TDL shepherd
17,363 Posts
My suspicion is that this replacement remote is operating in RF mode?
My suspicion is that it was NOT in RF mode, that it was in IR mode and set to the default IR remote address of 0, causing both boxes to respond.

Note that even when a remote is in RF mode it can temporarily lose communication with the DVR and briefly slip into IR mode, so even if planning to pair and use the remote in RF mode, it's a good idea to set the IR remote address (on the remote *and* its associated DVR) to a unique non-zero value to avoid accidents. (Same goes for the EDGE's remote.)

See: Controlling 2 TiVo DVRs with Separate Remotes

·
wait.. I did what?
14,616 Posts
I was also going to say this isn't at all a complicated scenario, it's your standard "I have 2 Tivos and two remotes"
Each Remote should be set in RF mode paired to its DVR, and then each DVR and it's remote should have it's IR address set uniquely
@krkaufman 's link should be all you need as long as you set both RF pairing and IR addresses (on both remotes AND both DVRs)

If you try using an RF remote and it's not paired I'm 99% sure it drops down to IR mode and then would be set to 0 and the DVRs both at 0 would also both respond.

Reactions: krkaufman

·
TDL shepherd
17,363 Posts
If you try using an RF remote and it's not paired I'm 99% sure it drops down to IR mode and then would be set to 0 and the DVRs both at 0 would also both respond.
Worse, you could make the effort to get both DVRs set to unique non-zero IR remote addresses, but they still respond to commands sent to IR address 0, the default address ... so failing to also configure the unique (non-zero!) remote address into each remote would negate the whole effort.

'gist: A DVR set to address 0 will respond to any TiVo IR command (regardless of the IR address to which the remote is set); a remote set to IR address 0 will control any TiVo DVR, regardless of the IR remote address to which the DVR is set.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I have gone through covering the ir receiver with a book or vhs tape. Never considered turning off one of the Tivos. I think I immediately wanted to know if things were working correctly. Great feeling when each remote only controls one box.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am awaiting my second Tivo Edge and trying to set my first remote to "1". I can get to System Info and see the IR is set to "0", but I cannot highlight that line of System Info to change the number. Per the instructions, it says to use the "channel down button until it gets to Remote address"; but the channel down button goes a page of information at a time.
How can I isolate "Remote Address" to change it?
Rich

·
Premium Member
6,302 Posts
I am awaiting my second Tivo Edge and trying to set my first remote to "1". I can get to System Info and see the IR is set to "0", but I cannot highlight that line of System Info to change the number. Per the instructions, it says to use the "channel down button until it gets to Remote address"; but the channel down button goes a page of information at a time.
How can I isolate "Remote Address" to change it?
Rich
You don't isolate "Remote Address" to change it. Once you're in the System Info screen it will accept (and set itself to) any of the 0-9 IR codes that it receives. Get into SI, change the code on the remote that it's sending out, and press any button.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You don't isolate "Remote Address" to change it. Once you're in the System Info screen it will accept (and set itself to) any of the 0-9 IR codes that it receives. Get into SI, change the code on the remote that it's sending out, and press any button.
OK, got to that point but it is still not working:
I verify that I'm in IR mode (Hold red C until I get a yellow light on the remote)
I go to system information and see the "0" at "remote address"
I hold down "Tivo" and "Pause" (I have to lead with "Pause" or it goes to the "Tivo" page)... and nothing happens. The red light on the Tivo box does not illuminate and if I try pushing "1" anyway, nothing happens. I'm still on "0".
I must be doing something wrong, but I cannot guess what it might be.
Rich

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
To control two TiVo DVRs with separate remotes
  1. Cover the IR window of the second DVR. To identify where this area is located watch your DVR when you push a button on your remote. An amber light will flash, indicating the area you will need to cover.
  2. Make sure both remotes are in IR Mode:
    • To enter IR mode, press and hold the TiVo+ Red C buttons until the activity indicator on the remote control lights. The remote remains in IR mode until you manually put the remote into RF mode (see: TiVo Remotes: RF Pairing Instructions.)
  3. Using one of the TiVo remotes, navigate to the System Information screen:

Devices on TiVo Experience 3 (software version: 20.x. or earlier):

TiVo Series

Menu Path from TiVo Central

TiVo BOLT
TiVo Roamio
TiVo Mini

Settings & Messages > Help > Account and System Info > System Information

TiVo Premiere Messages & Settings > Account and System Information > System Information

Devices on TiVo Experience 4 (software version: 21.x.):

TiVo Series

Menu Path from HOME

TiVo EDGE
TiVo BOLT
TiVo Roamio
TiVo Mini

MENU > SETTINGS > HELP > ACCOUNT AND SYSTEM INFO > SYSTEM INFORMATION

Once at the System Information screen, scroll down by pressing the Chan Down button until you see Remote Address.

1. Hold down the TiVo+Pause buttons for 5 seconds, until the red LED on the remote lights up.
  2. Use the number keys to enter any digit from 1-9 (1-3 on a Sony). We recommend entering a 1. The remote LED will flash, but the screen will not update.
  3. Press the Right Arrow to send the code to the DVR. You should see the digit you entered on the screen. You have now programmed this remote control and this DVR to operate on channel 1. You might want to label this remote so you remember which DVR it controls.
  4. Press the TiVo button to return to TiVo Central.
  5. Cover the IR window of the first DVR, and uncover the second one. Use the other TiVo remote to navigate to the System Information screen of the second DVR and scroll down until you see Remote Address.
  6. Hold down the Pause+TiVo buttons for 5 seconds, until the red LED on the remote lights up.
  7. Use the number keys to enter any digit from 1-9 (1-3 on a Sony) except the number you entered on the first DVR. We recommend entering a 2. The remote LED will flash.
  8. Press the Right Arrow to send the code to the DVR. You should see the digit on the screen. Press the TiVo button to return to TiVo Central. You might want to label this remote so you remember which DVR it controls.
You have now programmed both DVRs and both remotes to respond to a different code.

Note: To prevent a remote address from changing accidentally, do not leave either DVR on the System Information screen.

-KP

·
Registered
22 Posts
To control two TiVo DVRs with separate remotes
  1. Cover the IR window of the second DVR. To identify where this area is located watch your DVR when you push a button on your remote. An amber light will flash, indicating the area you will need to cover.
  2. Make sure both remotes are in IR Mode:
    • To enter IR mode, press and hold the TiVo+ Red C buttons until the activity indicator on the remote control lights. The remote remains in IR mode until you manually put the remote into RF mode (see: TiVo Remotes: RF Pairing Instructions.)
  3. Using one of the TiVo remotes, navigate to the System Information screen:

Devices on TiVo Experience 3 (software version: 20.x. or earlier):

TiVo Series

Menu Path from TiVo Central

TiVo BOLT
TiVo Roamio
TiVo Mini

Settings & Messages > Help > Account and System Info > System Information

TiVo Premiere Messages & Settings > Account and System Information > System Information

Devices on TiVo Experience 4 (software version: 21.x.):

TiVo Series

Menu Path from HOME

TiVo EDGE
TiVo BOLT
TiVo Roamio
TiVo Mini

MENU > SETTINGS > HELP > ACCOUNT AND SYSTEM INFO > SYSTEM INFORMATION

Once at the System Information screen, scroll down by pressing the Chan Down button until you see Remote Address.

1. Hold down the TiVo+Pause buttons for 5 seconds, until the red LED on the remote lights up.
  2. Use the number keys to enter any digit from 1-9 (1-3 on a Sony). We recommend entering a 1. The remote LED will flash, but the screen will not update.
  3. Press the Right Arrow to send the code to the DVR. You should see the digit you entered on the screen. You have now programmed this remote control and this DVR to operate on channel 1. You might want to label this remote so you remember which DVR it controls.
  4. Press the TiVo button to return to TiVo Central.
  5. Cover the IR window of the first DVR, and uncover the second one. Use the other TiVo remote to navigate to the System Information screen of the second DVR and scroll down until you see Remote Address.
  6. Hold down the Pause+TiVo buttons for 5 seconds, until the red LED on the remote lights up.
  7. Use the number keys to enter any digit from 1-9 (1-3 on a Sony) except the number you entered on the first DVR. We recommend entering a 2. The remote LED will flash.
  8. Press the Right Arrow to send the code to the DVR. You should see the digit on the screen. Press the TiVo button to return to TiVo Central. You might want to label this remote so you remember which DVR it controls.
You have now programmed both DVRs and both remotes to respond to a different code.

Note: To prevent a remote address from changing accidentally, do not leave either DVR on the System Information screen.

-KP
KP,
Thanks for your help. The above is the procedure I was trying to follow. My problem occurred at step 1. I could not get the remote to show the red light.
I finally followed the procedure cited in the instruction to set the remote to match the TV involved and I covered the sending end of the remote while I hit the Tivo and Pause buttons simultaneously. After a couple of tries I got the red light on the remote to show and from there I soon had Tivo Edge #1 set
to IR 1 and Tivo Edge #2 set to IR 2.
(actually, I had a couple of problems with #1 resetting to IR 2, but persevered until I had both set correctly)
The system is now working as I hoped and planned!
Thanks to the people on the forum for all of the issues I have encountered of the past couple of years (some quite mundane) and resolved.
Rich

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.