TiVo Community Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
TiVo's CMO
138 Posts
Hi Ira, thanks for your participation at TCF.

I was very much looking forward to the Bolt, currently having 3 Roamio's with 4 Mini's, on FiOS.

4K, triple the memory, and 3-4x speed increase would have been a compelling reason to upgrade, and an awesome upgrade, but just can't afford to lose 2TB and 2 tuners per DVR.

Is TiVo still committed to the high-end user? of which I'd say 3TB and 6 tuners is critical.

Praying that a Bolt Pro is in our future ... SOON!

Thanks again for the opportunity to ask a question, please restore our faith in TiVo by hinting that our desire for 6 tuners and lots of storage will be met someday.
TOTALLY COMMITTED Sixto. We know what you guys want (It's impossible to miss) and you should have it next year.

·
TiVo's CMO
138 Posts
As of yesterday 9/29/15 I can no longer view TV Listings, view my ToDo List, view My Programs, or schedule recordings online because I have 2 older Series 3 HD DVRs. How do you justify abandoning your legacy customers, the ones that made you what you are today, simply because our equipment is getting older without offering upgrade incentives?
Tech companies just can't support everything forever. Your boxes are still going strong, just like my iPad1. But yes, there's some stuff it doesn't do. On offers, we do them all time -- with special love for S3. Update your email address and give us a call. We're not abandoning anyone. We're just marching forward.

·
TiVo's CMO
138 Posts
When will be able to finally disable the proxy that is the bottleneck in the streaming? It's still no where close to the reliability of Sling box for OOH streaming.
We are currently working on the architecture for the proxy to increase reliability amongst other technologies that will ultimately improve the OOH mobile experience. We know we can do better.

·
TiVo's CMO
138 Posts
Hi Ira.

Will there be any special incentives/promo codes for current/loyalty customers to upgrade to the Tivo Bolt?

Do I buy today and get my Bolt in a few days, but risk an offer appearing in the next few days or weeks.

BTW, the Bolt product announcement caught me by surprise: no tivo.com teaser, no email to current customers to watch for a new product announcement (and get $$$ ready). I participate in Michaela Logan's Tivo Advisory Panel, and no mention of any new product launches. (at least I can't remember seeing any of these things mention a new model is coming.

Maybe next time you can stream a live product announcement to the press and general public? Or better yet, slap a promo video right on our Tivos!

Loyal customer since 2001.

Alan Z.

TiVo Premiere 03/03/2013 (in use)
TiVo Premiere 04/28/2008 (inactive)
TiVo Series2 rev.2 DVR 80hr 02/22/2003 (retired)
Sony 30 Hour PTV Recorder 12/16/2001 (gifted)
Sony 30 Hour PTV Recorder 07/30/2001 (retired)
It's a new product, so no, we don't have any plans to discount it in the short term. You guys know Consumer Electronics better than anybody. The only time you shouldn't have to discount is at launch. I certainly would not expect discounting this year.

On pre-launch communications, we were really trying to keep the lid on this. What happens is that we brief key analysts and journalists in advance and then embargo the news until our launch date. When the news leaks it makes everyone unhappy. In this case, despite some solid gumshoe reporting by DZ, we kept most of the key features secret.

Interesting idea on the live stream. Trouble is we really like to do extensive private briefings -- and once you do that, no one shows up for your event.

·
TiVo's CMO
138 Posts
Long time TiVo customer (2001!) Very dismayed with new pricing structure regarding lifetime service cost that more than likely prevent me from upgrading from my Premiere.

What has kept me with TiVo recently is the newer units don't work with DirecTV, and the DirecTiVo currently offered is old technology and OS. I would really love to go back to DirecTV. Are there any plans on an updated TiVo NATIVE model that will work with satellite providers?
We would LOVE to work with DISH and DTV. It's not only cheaper for them to deploy their homegrown STB's, there's also a strong internal corporate bias in favor of technologies they've built themselves.

·
TiVo's CMO
138 Posts
I recently saw this on the PLEX media format webpage.

The TiVo Roamio OTA & BOLT devices are capable of 1080p playback of H.264 videos and even 4K playback of HEVC content.

1080p Video:

*Container: MP4 or MKV

*Resolution: 1920x1080 or smaller

*Video Encoding: H.264 (level 4.1 or lower)

Does this mean that the Roamio OTA can direct play 1080p video trough the PLEX app? If so are there any plans to include the Roamio, Plus and Pro?

Thanks,
-Brandon
While the Roamio line is capable of playing 1080P files the BOLT is the only box capable of decoding the resolution for 3840 or UHD. It requires HEVC or VP9 encoding and the processor in the BOLT just to decode the file. No Roamio's will support UHD content.

·
TiVo's CMO
138 Posts
Hi Ira,

What is the status of the TiVo Mega and will it have the upgraded hardware/software features of the TiVo Bolt? That may partially explain why there is no Pro version of the Bolt. If the Mega is indeed still in the product pipeline, has there been any consideration on lowering the orignally-annouced suggested retail price? I know the price shocked many of us here in the community. Perhaps a model with just a few drives in it when it ships, and a customer could plugin additional drives over time. That could help to get the unit cost down.

Thanks for taking questions.
TiVo Mega was an interesting experience. What started as an exercise to see just how much we could stretch the boundaries turned out to spur excitement in our teams. When we were first discussing the BOLT product line, we determined that releasing a professional, rack-mounted appliance would be silly to do in 1080p when we knew we were following up shortly with 4K. We did not kill Mega, but we've put in a pause. Stay tuned.

·
TiVo's CMO
138 Posts
With Apple's recent announcement of the Apple TV App Store, will TiVo develop an Apple TV app? Considering you have a well-developed iOS app, it doesn't sound like it would take a lot of resources to port it over to the Apple TV.

I'd also like to know when online.tivo.com will get OOH streaming support?
We are very interested in expanding our platform to the Apple TV. An app for their STB would be the next step in our iOS offering.

·
TiVo's CMO
138 Posts
IN what ways, if any, does the Bolt improve the Mini experience?

For example, are audio/video still dropped if you return to the menus?

OR does it still take more steps to record a show from the guide on the Mini than when using the dvr directly?
First, BOLT is an improvement because our introductory line has never had MoCA built-in. We felt it was time to have the entire line support coax for networking. I think the thing you'll notice right off the bat is faster performance if you're on a MoCA network. BOLT has MoCA 2.0, which offers significantly faster response times. I always thought the Minis offered remarkably fast response times, but the BOLTs make that even better. But in terms of navigation I think you'll find it to be more evolutionary than revolutionary. We've tried to make the navigation at once refreshed and yet familiar.

·
TiVo's CMO
138 Posts
What are Tivo's plans to give the user back the ability to automatically record repeats of a tv show on our Tivo without worrying that the new episodes will get overwritten?

WE used to be able to set up 2 different season passes to do this. One for repeats and one for new shows. It was very useful when the viewer kept up with new episodes and yet regularly enjoyed watching old episodes or when the viewer was catching up with old episodes as they watched the new ones (like when a current show is also in syndication.) Now we have to resort to far less desirable work arounds.
I'm sure you know that TiVo lets you choose whether you want to see just the new episodes or both new and repeats. One of the things I do when I want to watch something again is select the "Keep Until" option, which lets you select a date, or just keep it until you manually remove it. My hard drives have more than a few shows that have taken up permanent residence. OnePass also allows you to manage these. Please refer to the other answer where I note OnePass and how to switch between "My Episodes" view and "All recordings" view.

·
TiVo's CMO
138 Posts
My Question is regarding the Plex app and the Opera browser. Currently, the Plex app on Tivo only supports resolution up to 720P. Are there any plans on increasing this to 1080P? Thank you!
The most important part was to get Plex out the door earlier in the year so that you all could enjoy all the goodies it offers. We are continuing to work with their engineers to increase the experience, not only resolution limitations but other things.

·
TiVo's CMO
138 Posts
Uh I still want the padding even if I am recording back to back shows. Sometimes I watch shows way out of order. Like say watch show #2 right away, but wait for show #1 to build up 5-6 episodes before I watch. I don't want to have to keep all episodes of show #2 just because it has the last 1 minute of show #1.

A better question is will we see the return of the feature that was on the original Roamio release where back to back shows could share a tuner and copy the overlapped portion to both programs?
Not familiar with the Roamio feature of which you speak to merge shows. As for the precision of the recording, this has always proved challenging given that programers are always adjusting their timing and promotions. All I can say is that we continue to find way to hone our precision in these matter and please be patient as we improve.

·
TiVo's CMO
138 Posts
Thanks for doing the AMA, feel free to answer all or none of my questions :)

1. What makes Tivo's upscaling to 4K better than Samsung's? It's not like my cable company delivers any real 4k programming and my Samsung already does an excellent job upscaling to 4K.

2. If the Bolt truly beats Samsung's excellent 4k upscaling and I have a Roamio hooked to my 4K TV in the bedroom and decide to add a Bolt for the living room, could i stream/transfer shows recorded on my Roamio to the bolt and output at 4K on my second 4k set in the living room?

3. Any plans for a 4K mini?

4. Will the commercial skip feature eventually be rolled out to the Roamio models in a software update?

PS I really hope you answer this, as it is my personal biggest disappointment about the Roamio.

Is there any hope of EVER getting the PBS streaming app? It's a great app on my Amazon fire and if Tivo had it i would cancel my preorder for the new Fire TV. PBS has great content and the fire TV app is awesome. I think it'd be an excellent addition to the streaming apps and additionally they are investing heavily in 4k production techniques and I wouldnt be surprised at all to see them be one of the first stations to start broadcasting native 4K content.
We do not have a performance claim where we say that the BOLT out upscales Samsung. It may or it may not. The value is in having a unified system. Certainly you can find point and shoot cameras and GPS that might have 1-2 features more than your smartphone but you lose the ease of use and integration. With your smartphone you can ask Siri to access your contacts and find something in Google maps and navigate you there. Much like that, TiVo is not only scaling video or passing it through if that's your preference, but it also integrates with so many other things.

·
TiVo's CMO
138 Posts
What is in the future for TiVo and TiVo users? I would like both a short term and a long term vision. What types of improvements or new technologies is TiVo looking at.
TiVo is interested in the best media experience that anyone can dream up. This encourages us to explore ways to control and interact with touch, voice, and motion. It also spurs us to explore more modern ways to surface relevant and amazing content to our users in the fastest way possible. We are seeking out the latest in hardware features, not just the newest processor or largest tuner set. As you know, we have no dog in the content fight. We seek to be content-agnostic, which allows us to be on the side of our viewers. In the short term, we are seeking to regain the excitment and passion that surrounded the invention of the DVR. We're evolving from developing DVRs to what we're calling Unified Entertainment Systems and other devices that make it simple to access content no matter where it is. In the long term, our hope is to continue to use this new energy to grow an ecosystem that users will feel at home evey time they turn their screens--any kind of screen--on.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.