TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some recordings will skip 1 or 2 commercial breaks, like go from 25 minute mark to 45 minute mark instead of going to say 35 minute mark.

some recordings won’t be shown as having commercial skip but at some point, during one of the Commercial breaks the Skip icon shows up indicating I can skip ahead.

anyone seeing these behaviors?

got to be TiVo right, not which provider I’m subscribing to?

I’m on Comcast Xfinity, Roamio Plus, Cable Card.

·
Camco
10 Posts
I've had the same problem for a few weeks. Sometimes it'll skip the first break, then pushing the "Skip Button" gets the "Gong" sound or jumps toward the end of the program. I sure hope they fix it soon!

Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some recordings will skip 1 or 2 commercial breaks, like go from 25 minute mark to 45 minute mark instead of going to say 35 minute mark.

some recordings won’t be shown as having commercial skip but at some point, during one of the Commercial breaks the Skip icon shows up indicating I can skip ahead.

anyone seeing these behaviors?

got to be TiVo right, not which provider I’m subscribing to?

I’m on Comcast Xfinity, Roamio Plus, Cable Card.
Same thing here since they first introduced SKIP. First, very few programs show up with the skip icon, and many of those that do it only works for the first couple of commercial breaks and not for the remainder of the program.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Two things:

• Not sure if this has changed in recent times but, at least when Skip was first introduced, it was done "manually." That is, actual humans marked the Skip points. There were no automated algorithms for doing this. That means there can always be delays, omissions and screw-ups — depending upon who is (or is not) doing the skip marks at any moment.
• I've noticed that skip no longer seems to skip promotions for a network's own programming. For example, if watching a show recorded from CBS, TiVo will not skip over ads promoting upcoming CBS shows.

Beyond all that, yes, I am still finding Skip to be more inconsistent than it was months ago. It's like there is no longer any quality control monitoring how well it's working.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What are their revenues?

I've had the Roamio since it came out.

No need or desire to buy new Tivo hardware or services. I have the Lifetime.

Good chance they go out of business and brick all the DVRs when they shut down services.

·
Camco
10 Posts
I read a couple of years ago that "Skip Mode" uses the carrier from "Closed Captioning" to mark where to place the skips. I've noticed some of the Promos inserting in the middle kicking out of "Skip Mode" and then afterwards skip jumping in again. It made sense that the networks had "CC" on their promo's. I hope that explains some of our problems.

Bill

·
Premium Member
16,469 Posts
It seems better than it was for a while there, but still kind of hinky.

For one while, I would either have one whole evening of no skip. Then they would have skip but it would go bad either right after the first time or when you got 20-30 minutes into a 60 min show and then no skip. But if you backed to 'My Shows' it would still have the green 'skip' thing there. Go back into the show and, nope, no skip for the rest of the show.

I've had a couple where you hit skip one or two times in and it would go wayyyyy ahead through a few segments.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts