TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here
41 - 49 of 49 Posts
Originally posted by malloryd
Considering the forum you're on, you should expect nothing less than comcast bashing. If I were on a comcast forum, I would expect people to bash D*, not give glowing reports on their quality/service.

Just my 2 cents...
I've seen Comcast forums, and there were mostly people bashing Comcast. :)

Originally posted by ThomasDrew
2. You most certainly *can* alter your lineup, add/delete services and what not at 4am with Comcast. I have paid my bill at 3am before...on more than one occasion. Like they said...open 24/7
DTV also has phone CSRs 24/7 so you can do the same. Also I can go to the web site and change my programming and pay my bills any time I want, thus avoiding any hold times. This is a bad comparison, I understand what you are stating, but the service is available to DTV customers as well.

I use CC for HSI and that's it. It has never crapped out. I ended up getting Vonage because of the reliability of the service. Never hiccuped. DSL could not hold a connection for 24 straight hours at my house, therefore not an option. And this left me with the other monopoly as my only HSI option. My only complaint is the price, service is solid.

I have Comcast for HSI on a 6 month $19.99 trial now. It's amazingly fast and solid as a rock. However, at over $50/month, they will be getting the boot after the trial. No way I will pay that for internet.

Originally posted by GaryGnu
I've seen Comcast forums, and there were mostly people bashing Comcast. :)
There's forums dedicated to Comcast? No way!

Originally posted by tfederov
There's forums dedicated to Comcast? No way!
There used to be a site called comcastreallyreallysucks.com (seriously). There were forums too. And I got help there with some of my HSI issues. I think Comcast got it shut down though.

Originally posted by ThomasDrew
1. I never said that Comcast sent in-home service technicians out at 4am, rather, they were available on a Sunday morning less than 12 hours after I called.

2. You most certainly *can* alter your lineup, add/delete services and what not at 4am with Comcast. I have paid my bill at 3am before...on more than one occasion. Like they said...open 24/7
Well, I didn't know Comcast had finally let people change their subscriptions at all hours of the night, but you still have to call right? And both companies take payments online. Advantage here goes to DTV if Comcast does not allow me to change programming online.

I have never needed a tech to come out to my house for DTV. The wonderful thing about DTV is that ALL of the wiring needed for service is 100% under my control. If something knocked the dish out of alignment at 2am, I can fix it within minutes. I don't need to wait the 12 hours for the tech to access the locked down neighborhood equipment.

My experience here in Richmond with DSL was nothing short of horrendous. Others experiences may differ. Perhaps they think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. To each his own. Personally, I've had to reboot my modem a few times and of course, after the increased speed rollouts. I cannot recall any extended outages off the top of my head.
Like I said, it greatly depends on location, and what you consider speed to be. I play more online games than I do large downloads. To me, I define speed as latency. If connection 1 offers 3Mbps but the average ping is 50-75 with spikes in the hundreds, and connection 2 offers 1.5Mbps with 10-15ms with no spikes above 50... I take connection 2 every time even if priced the same. When I monitored the ping of my DSL line, the graph was as flat as a table top. The cable line with Comcast was a roller coaster.

If you live in an area with reliable low ping DSL, I don't know of too many people who can justify spending up to twice as much for cable.

I paid 19.99 for a six month promotion. I now pay $42.95 monthly and I consistently get 4000/384. Given my computing needs, I'm happy as a clam with that.
I have Adelphia which has been reliable in the past few months following an upgrade. However, I am not a fan of cable companies and their "HSI monopoly" fees. They know many people can't get DSL, so they add a $12-$15 fee onto their customers with only HSI. I was a comcast HSI only customer when the fee jumped from $5 to $15 in one month, and right after a general HSI increase. I think my bill jumped about $15 in 2 months.

Cable companies do this because they know that their TV services (without HiDef as of right now) can't compete. If they can find a way to increase the cost to their HSI and TV customers thinking of making the jump from Cable TV to DTV, they do it. A friend of mine has Adelphia analog cable with HSI. He said he would switch to DTV, but the monopoly fee would increase his total bill. The FCC just released numbers saying that the average cost of ANALOG cable jumped over $45 a month. The number of TV's in the avergage household is just over 2. So, most people in the US could save about $5 a month or pay the same for an all digital TV service as they do for analog cable.

Discussion starter · #48 ·
Well comcast finally installed the cable correctly after 3 tries. I want to say I am pleased with the functionality of the Scientific Atlanta. The season pass manager is not as pretty as tivo but it has all the functionality that a tivo has. You can tape 2 shows at once and you only need one cable. And it does have a season pass manager just not as simple as tivo. The one thing that really made me sold on this was the fact I am a sports fanatic and sports on HD is just incredible looking. Overall, I think DTV is better. But since I am getting this for 40 bucks a month with hbo showtime and 2 HD DVRs for a year its a steal of a deal. Hopefully next year Directv will have a similar deal that you dont have to pay a grand to get HD with tivo.

jfischer said:
It's all the luck of the draw. Sometimes you'll get a competent installer, sometimes you'll get a trained chimp. Goes for Cable, DirecTV and Dish equally.
Case in point - I decided to go from Comcast to DirecTV recently. 2 installers came on a Fri afternoon and said they couldn't install because they weren't allowed to go onto my wood shake roof (could damage it). So I said well strap the antenna to the chimney. They said they didn't have a chimney strap, but I could reschedule.

Two weeks later, no one showed up between 8 and 12 and promised. I got a call at 11:45 saying that they would have to reschedule for next Wednesday with solemn promise to give me priority and show at 8:00 a.m. wi chimney strap.

On Monday I called to make sure. They never heard of priority or need for chimney strap, but would be sure to make note of it.

Wed I called at 10:00 because still no show. Promise to call back not made. Finally, at 11:30, installer shows - never heard of priority to show at 8:00, did not know why I was promised a chimney strap (they cost $50.00!), and said there was no reason at all why he couldn't go onto the shake roof. Said the original installers were just too lazy to do the job.

Then he says he can't go under the house and wants to string a line all the way around to the front exterior of the house. I told him to hit the road, Jack, and don't you come back no mo, no mo.

All past install experiences with Comcast were great.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.