TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Friend Of The Court
6,494 Posts
Originally posted by NJStealth
Fortunately my company pays for my high speed internet so I dont really care what the price is. Has anyone in NJ noticed a speed increase. My HSI seems quite a bit faster as of recently.
Did you not get the email from CC over a week ago? Here's the text:

Just when you thought the Internet couldn't get any faster, Comcast has increased speeds by 33%,* with no extra charge or equipment necessary. Now all your favorite Comcast features are faster than ever before!

To take advantage of the speed increase, simply unplug your modem, wait 60 seconds and plug your modem back in again.

They changed it to 4000/384

·
Registered
131 Posts
Originally posted by dbronstein
I don't understand this mentality that some peole seem to have that DirecTV (or Dish or whoever else) should give you free programming or equipment if you threaten to leave.
Depends on how you look at it. These companies are making money from us, no matter what they give away, or they wouldn't do it. Honestly, I had a bit of a problem calling and asking for the free tivo from a company that gives me such good service. In the end, I did it. Other people go farther. I don't fault them for it. How many times in our lives have we paid a fee, a tax, or an extra charge? How many times are "rates raised"? It just seems that no matter what I do, or where I go, someone is trying to take my money for some reason or the other, and many times it seems they do it "just because they can." So I don't fault people for trying to get as much free stuff as they can. It helps balance things out a bit.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Originally posted by GaryGnu
Depends on how you look at it. These companies are making money from us, no matter what they give away, or they wouldn't do it. Honestly, I had a bit of a problem calling and asking for the free tivo from a company that gives me such good service. In the end, I did it. Other people go farther. I don't fault them for it. How many times in our lives have we paid a fee, a tax, or an extra charge? How many times are "rates raised"? It just seems that no matter what I do, or where I go, someone is trying to take my money for some reason or the other, and many times it seems they do it "just because they can." So I don't fault people for trying to get as much free stuff as they can. It helps balance things out a bit.
There's nothing wrong with asking, and nothing wrong if they do it. But some people seem to have this sense of entitlement that "I've been a customer for 2 years so they should give me free stuff" and then get all pissy when they don't get it. The original poster even said that they offered him free programming but it wasn't enough. What did he want - three years of every premium channel for free?

·
Registered
2 Posts
just to add my two cents worth about Comcast...
as one member said earlier in the thread about them being late...not once...not twice but three times.to add the that i got there blazing speed internet which i was contacted one month later from corp. saying i am in the top 1% downloading (440 GB) a month and if i dont cut down my downloading i will be cancelled...so i went the next month trying to cut the downloading off and BLAM! they cut me off...i called the office and they gave me a number to call and i said forget it...there was more junk i went through about my bill and contract and this special offer only applied to my old address and and not this one since i moved to another address...JUNK!so i went back to directv which i had all along...actually had both and back to verizon DSL which i already had also...stay far far away from Comcast...they are no good...you will go in circles for hours like i did for two weeks straight...
hope this helps add the mess

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,738 Posts
Originally posted by ThomasDrew
1) 24-7 tech support and customer service. I once had an issue on Saturday night and had a tech in my home the following morning (that's a SUNDAY, mind you).
I know some people rely on installers for satellite services, but you are in control of satellite equipment; as long as stores are open you can service things as needed.

2) Want to pay your bill at 4am? Go right ahead!
DirecTV doesn't do this? I'd expect they do... but I don't do it this way; my bill is paid automatically.

3) Blazing fast internet connection that frankly, DSL can't touch...not by a longshot. (I reliaze that this is somewhat subjective)
Unfortunately it's a great concept that in practice usually pans out poorly. DSL offers reliability, although often at lower speeds. Cable can offer higher speeds, most of the time, though often not reliably. I recently decided to give Comcast a shot again at providing internet service. It worked fine for about 3 weeks. Then went to total crap. 2 weeks of service call attempts and the best I got out of Comcast was a technician visit who screwed up the follow up, claiming I changed my mind about the service call rather than forwarding it on to the central office to be dealt with where the problem existed. Total frustration exists with Comcast support. I claimed I'd never deal with them again some 3 years ago when I left, and last year I went back on my word and regretted it. Now when I say never again, I truly mean it. Comcast sucks... sure things CAN go right, but when they get screwed up, they usually stay screwed up for some time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Originally posted by Jasonp55
D*'s not prefect, but at least they've never flat out lied to me.
I used to get advertisements from Comcast when I had a dish in a previous apt. I think it was just a generic "Current Resident" advertisement for digital cable. This advertisement said that with Comcast cable, you could get the "exclusive" Comcast Sports Net. CSN is the local DC "fox Sports" type channel which shows the local hockey, basketball, etc. This was a flat out lie. I had DTV, and had always been able to watch CSN - not that I wanted to though.

Comcast had recently bought the rights to the channel, and I remember telling my wife when they changed the name that they'll probably start claiming that Dish doesn't have it because it has Comcast in the name.

Quite a few of the people I talk to about DTV tell me that they'd consider it, but they don't want to lose their Comcast Sports Net channel.

·
Registered
118 Posts
At times, yes, but there's some things to like about Comcast....

1) 24-7 tech support and customer service. I once had an issue on Saturday night and had a tech in my home the following morning (that's a SUNDAY, mind you).

2) Want to pay your bill at 4am? Go right ahead!

3) Blazing fast internet connection that frankly, DSL can't touch...not by a longshot. (I reliaze that this is somewhat subjective)

...now granted, all of this comes with a price, which I consider almost exorbitant, but you do receive fair value in return.

I'm a former dish owner and I loved every minute that I was with DTV. Now, however, logistics make it impossible for me to go with their service so I am "stuck" with Comcast. I must say though, that as a whole, they have improved dramatically over the years....at least in the Richmond, VA market.
1. 24/7 tech support? You mean Comcast will come out at 4am to fix your cable service? Wow.

2. Want to change your programming and pay your bill at 4am? You can do that with DTV, but not Comcast.

3. It is not subjective, but does have quite a bit to do with where you live, and what you consider to be "speed". My Comcast HSI line in woodbridge va got so bad over the couple years I had it that I switched to DSL. DSL was always more, but with the fees they had just tacked onto non TV HSI, it was the same price. I was lucky to get dial up bandwidth and pings on the weekends, so a 1500/128 DSL line was much faster.

Within a month of so of getting DSL, Verizon slashed the price in half to $30. Not only that, but I was getting every bit of the advertised speeds and had a ping of 10-15ms to most websites. Then, they increased the upload to 384, which I got all of.

Changed apts, and could no longer get DTV, but kept DSL because of price and performance. It was rock solid when it came to reliability... never once went down in 18 months. After Isabel came through Va, power was out for about a day. As soon as it came back, I was online. Cable TV was out for days.

Right now, I have an Adelphia cable modem which at first was horribly unreliable. After an area upgrade, it has been great, but still not matching the 10-15ms pings I had with Verizon. Of course, the $55 price is quite a bit different than $30 too. I'd switch to DSL in a heartbeat if I could.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well I changed my mind again after speaking with a directv csr. They are just nasty. So I am going to give the comcrap installer another shot. Price is still much lower then Directv. Until Directv can give me HD for the same cost as I am paying for their service now I am leaving.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Originally posted by dswallow
Unfortunately it's a great concept that in practice usually pans out poorly. DSL offers reliability, although often at lower speeds. Cable can offer higher speeds, most of the time, though often not reliably.
Bingo. I need my internet to work reliably 24 x 7 and I'm just not confident that the cableco can deliver that, so I keep my DSL, which seems to have a once-a-year outage for just a few hours. I don't do giant downloads (that's what the [email protected] at work is for :D) and my wife is satisfied with the download speed for her Napster account, so I'll just stick with the DSL for now.

I'll never return to cable for my video, unless it's nearly free - I've been using DBS since 1996 and have been very, very happy.

·
Billy Gardner
182 Posts
Originally posted by goony
Bingo. I need my internet to work reliably 24 x 7 and I'm just not confident that the cableco can deliver that, so I keep my DSL, which seems to have a once-a-year outage for just a few hours. I don't do giant downloads (that's what the [email protected] at work is for :D) and my wife is satisfied with the download speed for her Napster account, so I'll just stick with the DSL for now.

I'll never return to cable for my video, unless it's nearly free - I've been using DBS since 1996 and have been very, very happy.
Exactly, and what some people don't realize is that although high speed cable may have better bandwidth, it doesn't mean that its faster. The bandwidth has to be more because its shared in "communities". There may be many people basically sharing your connection and bandwidth - the more people on at the same time, the slower speeds you'll have in your home. Some people say its also less secure because of this, because its like having all those people on your local network. DSL on the other hand, is a direct connection to your home. All the bandwidth is yours and only yours.

·
M GO BLUE!!!
2,959 Posts
Originally posted by NJStealth
how is internet from directway?
Looks expensive. I think when I was comparing it to dial-up, it was fast but not as fast as my cable modem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Originally posted by jfischer
It's all the luck of the draw. Sometimes you'll get a competent installer, sometimes you'll get a trained chimp. Goes for Cable, DirecTV and Dish equally.
In my area many of the installers will install Cable, DirecTV and Dish. With the good installers it's a hit. With the bad installers it's 3 strikes. :eek:

Danny Fye

·
Banned
895 Posts
Originally posted by mattg
1. 24/7 tech support? You mean Comcast will come out at 4am to fix your cable service? Wow.

2. Want to change your programming and pay your bill at 4am? You can do that with DTV, but not Comcast.

1. I never said that Comcast sent in-home service technicians out at 4am, rather, they were available on a Sunday morning less than 12 hours after I called.

2. You most certainly *can* alter your lineup, add/delete services and what not at 4am with Comcast. I have paid my bill at 3am before...on more than one occasion. Like they said...open 24/7

My experience here in Richmond with DSL was nothing short of horrendous. Others experiences may differ. Perhaps they think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. To each his own. Personally, I've had to reboot my modem a few times and of course, after the increased speed rollouts. I cannot recall any extended outages off the top of my head.

I paid 19.99 for a six month promotion. I now pay $42.95 monthly and I consistently get 4000/384. Given my computing needs, I'm happy as a clam with that.

I just get tired of people bashing Comcast when the company, as a whole, has improved tenfold, at least here in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just get tired of people bashing Comcast when the company, as a whole, has improved tenfold, at least here in my neck of the woods.
Considering the forum you're on, you should expect nothing less than comcast bashing. If I were on a comcast forum, I would expect people to bash D*, not give glowing reports on their quality/service.

Just my 2 cents...

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.