TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Frakking idiot
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this isn't about Tivo at all but I figured some of the fine folks here would enjoy hearing of someone else's misery. :)

I've had Comcast for several years, I have cable, internet, and phone service. But the phone service is the old-style "digital phone", not the newer "digital voice" that requires a separate modem. Figuring I might be able to save some money, I inquired about getting Digital Voice. After talking to a Comcast sales rep, I was told it would still end up coming out to about the same as I was paying now - about $162 before all the taxes - but that I'd save indirectly, since my long distance would be free and unlimited within the U.S. and Canada. Since my long distance is anywhere from $15 - $30 a month, I figured it was worth it so I made an appointment for Saturday to have Digital Voice installed.

Just a few days ago, I happened to be talking to my sister and my parents, and found out that they already have the same package - all three Comcast services, with Digital Voice - for $122 a month. They live in Mass. and I live in NH, so I figured if anything, it would be more expensive for them, not me. So I called Comcast to inquire about this. First I reached the wrong person, so after telling her my story she transferred me to sales. No big deal. Then I tell that guy my story, and he abruptly transfers me to a third person, without warning. Now I have to tell my whole story again, and by this point I'm pretty angry. So after asking about the difference in prices, I was told that I couldn't get any kind of promotional rate, just because I had purchased HBO earlier this year (I got it for 1 month and then cancelled, just to watch the Sopranoes). When I became incredulous over this ridiculous policy - how could they charge me $40 more for the same services? - the sales rep just kept repeating over and over about how I was already getting a "great deal".

I ended up cancelling the appointment after telling her I was going to look into their competitors. The trouble is, my threat is toothless. Since I have three Tivos, including a brand-new S2 DT I just bought, it would be really painful to switch over to DirectTV, which I think is the only other option I have for cable TV. And I don't even want to think about Verizon for their FIOS service, with 1-year lock-ins, ridiculous installation fees, and basic rates that aren't better than Comcast anyway.

All this just because I got stinking HBO for 1 month. Plus the Sopranos ending sucked. Grrrrr! :mad:

Disclaimer: This is supposed to be a mildy humorous/mildy angry post. I realize a lot of people in the world have much worse problems, like just having enough food to eat!

·
Frakking idiot
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only FIOS internet is available in my area, not FIOS TV. I still might get it just to break away somewhat from Comcast. I just found out Verizon is having a deal where there's no installation fee, and I can get $10 a month off for the first few months. After that, it's about the same price as Comcast cable.

As for the Digital Voice...I ended up rescheduling the appointment. What can I do...they've got me by the b*lls. I can throw a hissy-fit and say I won't use them, and continue paying extra for long-distance, or I can get it now, starting saving at least a little bit right away, while investigating other options.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.