TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
TiVo'er since 1999
133 Posts
Is there a list of IPTV for Comcast South Jersey? My Bolt gets Cooking channel in SD, but I no longer can tune the HD version (1485). I haven't had any signal problems or outages. I can tune it on my phone in the Xfinity Stream app, if that helps...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Is there a list of IPTV for Comcast South Jersey? My Bolt gets Cooking channel in SD, but I no longer can tune the HD version (1485). I haven't had any signal problems or outages. I can tune it on my phone in the Xfinity Stream app, if that helps...
The Cooking Channel is almost certainly in IPTV only. I believe someone has said it is possible to go into an actual Comcast store and obtain a Channel list that has the IPTV channels marked (likely in some small mark that no one can see without a magnifier, but it has been stated it is on there). And all the channels >= 3000 are IPTV only. The next option is to have been paying careful attention to the bills one receives in the section about additional updates (the section that mentions channel adds/deletions/changes) and Comcast talking about either IPTV explicitly, or "compatible equipment required" (which has been the code for IPTV in the past), but one may need to go back many months (well over a year at this point) to read all those notices and keep your own list. And lastly if one has a separate OCUR device one can look at the VCT mapping and see what channels are actually defined in the mapping, as those that are not in that table but in your channel list are highly likely to be in IPTV (ideally TiVo would update their systems to identify such situations, but I suspect it is not in TiVo's interest to point out that their offering is slowly, but surely, becoming less complete).

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,726 Posts
The Cooking Channel is almost certainly in IPTV only. I believe someone has said it is possible to go into an actual Comcast store and obtain a Channel list that has the IPTV channels marked (likely in some small mark that no one can see without a magnifier, but it has been stated it is on there). And all the channels >= 3000 are IPTV only. The next option is to have been paying careful attention to the bills one receives in the section about additional updates (the section that mentions channel adds/deletions/changes) and Comcast talking about either IPTV explicitly, or "compatible equipment required" (which has been the code for IPTV in the past), but one may need to go back many months (well over a year at this point) to read all those notices and keep your own list. And lastly if one has a separate OCUR device one can look at the VCT mapping and see what channels are actually defined in the mapping, as those that are not in that table but in your channel list are highly likely to be in IPTV (ideally TiVo would update their systems to identify such situations, but I suspect it is not in TiVo's interest to point out that their offering is slowly, but surely, becoming less complete).
That is exactly correct.

But you don't need to go to the Comcast Store in order to get the channel listing for your area; if you call up a CSR they will mail you a copy of the printed document (unfortunately, I do not know of any way to access the up-to-date, area-specific .pdf document on-line).

The listing should have footnotes to identify those IPTV-only channels, as shown below (SD and HD versions, respectively):

1Requires designated Xfinity TV service and X1 TV Box or compatible customer owned device.
2Requires designated Xfinity TV service and X1 TV Box or compatible customer owned device. Requires HD Technology Fee.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,514 Posts
Download the PDF versions of your recent bills, and look for a section of very tiny fine print called "Additional Information" on each. There you may find a different paragraph each time, announcing a different group of channels scheduled to go IP the following month. In very very tiny text.

Reactions: javabird

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Download the PDF versions of your recent bills, and look for a section of very tiny fine print called "Additional Information" on each. There you may find a different paragraph each time, announcing a different group of channels scheduled to go IP the following month. In very very tiny text.
thank you. I was wondering why I lost CSPAN-2 and I didn't notice the fine print about this change.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,514 Posts
thank you. I was wondering why I lost CSPAN-2 and I didn't notice the fine print about this change.
All those channels are still in the Xfinity Stream app though, for Fire TV, Roku, Android, and iOS, and probably in the equivalent streaming app from other cable providers too. And since they're available that way, another alternative to switching from TiVo to X1 would be switching from TiVo to Channels DVR, which offers live viewing and recording of most Xfinity channels you can access over the web.

Channels would use your cable login to authenticate. This would require installing Channels on an NAS or other small server, and using client apps for Apple TV, Fire TV, Android, or iOS. Channels is $8/mo or $80/year, and I currently run Channels and TiVo in parallel here but this is our last TiVo.

Channels - TV Everywhere
Provider - Xfinity

Reactions: chiguy50

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
All those channels are still in the Xfinity Stream app though, for Fire TV, Android and iOS, and probably in the equivalent streaming app from other cable providers too. And since they're available that way, another alternative to switching from TiVo to X1 would be switching from TiVo to Channels DVR, which offers live viewing and recording of most Xfinity channels you can access over the web.

Channels would use your cable login to authenticate. This would require installing Channels on an NAS or other small server, and using client apps for Apple TV, Fire TV, Android, or iOS. Channels is $8/mo or $80/year, and I currently run Channels and TiVo in parallel here but this is our last TiVo.

Channels - TV Everywhere
Provider - Xfinity
Ah, good point. I keep forgetting about the Xfinity app. (I have it on my Roku but hardly ever use it - I find the AppleTV is just so much more convenient. If I had an Xfinity app on my AppleTV I guess I might give up my Tivo).

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,514 Posts
Ah, good point. I keep forgetting about the Xfinity app. (I have it on my Roku but hardly ever use it - I find the AppleTV is just so much more convenient. If I had an Xfinity app on my AppleTV I guess I might give up my Tivo).
Didn't know there is also a beta Xfinity Stream app for Roku! Just edited my post to include that for the permanent record. For CSPAN all most of us really need is a live stream, and sad to say but Xfinity is quickly taking advantage of the FCC's recent CableCARD decision to push TiVo out of the picture by putting so many channels on IPTV. I'm glad Channels DVR has a way around that for now.

Reactions: javabird

·
TiVo Novice
32 Posts
I live in Canton Michigan which is the Detroit area. I have two TiVo's with Xfinity/Comcast cable cards. Within the past month I noticed that certain channels (specifically; 1115-NEWSMXHD, 1117-BBCW-NA, 1118-I24HD, 1129-CSPAN-2, 1130-CSPAN-3, 1426-TVLAND-E, 1429-REELZ, 1440-SUN-E, 1462-OVATION, 1627-ASPIRE, 1655-INSP-E, 1702-NICTR-E, 1727-NTOON-E, 1740-TEENCH-E) were not coming in. I could, however, receive the information on a lower number and I could receive them on the TV connected to the Comcast cable box. Granted, I only watch a couple of these channels, but my concern is that eventually a lot more channels will become unavailable. Comcast is one of the biggest, if not "the" biggest cable provider, but their phone support is poor, at best. The agents had no clue how to help me. Nor did TiVo support agents. Finally I spoke to a TiVo agent, who could not help, but did suggest that the issue is with Comcast. Calling Comcast back provided very little help until I got an agent that took extensive time to file my complaint and suggested that I would get a call back to have a tech come out. Instead I got a call from one of their Cable Card tier 2 techs who was very aware of the issue and explained it as stated in this post. Comcast is going to IPTV and further stated that TiVo hasn't caught up yet. This post suggests that they may not ever come up with a solution. I fully understand that technology continually improves, but I think it is unfair that these two entities cannot resolve the issue. I paid for lifetime memberships and to me, that means, lifetime usage, par with the cable providers. Hopefully a resolution will arise in the near future.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have Comcast in Albuquerque, NM and use one of their X1 boxes and a TiVo Bolt. I saw that Newsmax was on the X1 box but not TiVo. The TiVo guide didn't even show the channel, I think is was 1115. I summited the online form to the TiVo's Channel Lineup Department to have 1115 added. They did respond and eventually the channel showed up in my TiVo guide but I couldn't tune the station. After doing some research I learned about the IPTV issue. Strange that TiVo added the channel to my lineup even though it's IPTV and wouldn't work.

Here's the link to that form in case you ever need it.
Tivo Customer Support Community

I tried to pull up my support case numbers to give more information here but the website wasn't responding to show me my cases.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts