TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
TiVo Fanatic
805 Posts
This brings about a question: if Channels can download TV from Xfinity's stream website/app, why can TiVo not integrate similar functionality in its DVR's?

·
Registered
323 Posts
This brings about a question: if Channels can download TV from Xfinity's stream website/app, why can TiVo not integrate similar functionality in its DVR's?
In theory they could look into it (however it is TVE, which are 3rd party channel services, not the Xfinity Stream app). However, there are a couple of known complexities. For TiVo, since (before the advent of IPTV only channels, although few TVE channels are currently in that group), TiVo already allowed access to those channels, there was no market reasons to even consider it. Secondly, to access TVE channels, you have to license some tech from Adobe. Channels has been threading a licensing needle by running a Chrome browser to access the channels and then extracting the stream for recording rather than licensing the tech, but even if TiVo believed that needle was legal (and remember, TiVo lives and dies on IP, so they would have to be very very sure), running Chrome may not be viable on all hardware (maybe the Edge, possibly the Bolt, unlikely anything else). And then there are the TVE channels, whose ToS are not always consistent with recording (they expect you to watch their services directly from them), so there are perhaps additional IP issues. I suspect there is no way that the ROI is positive on a platform that has moved to the maintenance mode rather than new feature development, but only TiVo would know for sure. Perhaps you should ask them directly for a new app.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,514 Posts
How's the picture quality on TVE?
Depends partly on your TV and sound system, and partly on how picky you are, lol. I can get a little obsessed with this, but I rank the TVE picture below cable, and cable below the best OTA (over-the-air). The differences are small though, and some may not even see them. It's easier to compare the sound: TVE is stereo only, while cable and OTA offer up to 5.1 surround.

·
Cat God
17,656 Posts
I used the NBC app on my Roku with TVE from my cable company. I thought the PQ was poor, like SD poor, and the audio was PCM 2ch like most streaming services.
I think it varies greatly on the app. Some apps look poor and others look good.

Comcast's resolution maxes out at 720p though, while some apps are 1080p. Those apps look significantly better than Comcast on my Tivo. If not for the stereo sound, I'd use apps almost exclusively.

·
TiVo Fanatic
805 Posts
Channels isn't gathering all of my Xfinity channels. Not sure if some channels can't be streamed (local ABC station, CNN, etc.).

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,514 Posts
Channels isn't gathering all of my Xfinity channels. Not sure if some channels can't be streamed (local ABC station, CNN, etc.).
CNN ought to be there. See Channels Community | Provider - Xfinity.

Elsewhere the devs have posted that ABC works if your local station is owned directly be ABC or Hearst. Check abc.go.com/watch-live to see if your local ABC station is available.

For more discussion of locals see Channels Community | Local Networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX). This used to be "experimental" option, but I think it's available by default now. (PBS channels seem to be working too, but it depends where you are.)

·
TiVo Fanatic
805 Posts
CNN ought to be there. See Channels Community | Provider - Xfinity.

Elsewhere the devs have posted that ABC works if your local station is owned directly be ABC or Hearst. Check abc.go.com/watch-live to see if your local ABC station is available.

For more discussion of locals see Channels Community | Local Networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX). This used to be "experimental" option, but I think it's available by default now. (PBS channels seem to be working too, but it depends where you are.)
Thanks for that. That brought up CNN. CBS isn't showing up. Maybe I was confused when I said ABC, or maybe ABC is showing and CBS isn't now. I have CBS All Access though. Haven't looked to see if I can link it to Channels. Fox is now showing up.

I much prefer the interface, ability to view on AppleTV, etc. I think I like this better than TiVo if I can get all channels (no pun intended). Will have to continue using it to see if it's as good as TiVo. Coming from TiVo since the beginning of TiVo being around, this is a major change for me.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,514 Posts
Thanks for that. That brought up CNN. CBS isn't showing up. Maybe I was confused when I said ABC, or maybe ABC is showing and CBS isn't now. I have CBS All Access though. Haven't looked to see if I can link it to Channels. Fox is now showing up.

I much prefer the interface, ability to view on AppleTV, etc. I think I like this better than TiVo if I can get all channels (no pun intended). Will have to continue using it to see if it's as good as TiVo. Coming from TiVo since the beginning of TiVo being around, this is a major change for me.
Per the Local Networks thread I linked to, CBS is not supported: "Local CBS stations are not available through a TV Everywhere login, because CBS wants you to use CBS All Access." And CBS All Access is not a live TV service, it's a streaming/on-demand service, so it will not work with Channels DVR either.

For locals, many add an antenna and a little HD HomeRun box. Channels DVR will see the device on your network and pull in all the channels it receives for live viewing or recording.

·
imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox
4,570 Posts
Per the Local Networks thread I linked to, CBS is not supported: "Local CBS stations are not available through a TV Everywhere login, because CBS wants you to use CBS All Access." And CBS All Access is not a live TV service, it's a streaming/on-demand service, so it will not work with Channels DVR either.

For locals, many add an antenna and a little HD HomeRun box. Channels DVR will see the device on your network and pull in all the channels it receives for live viewing or recording.
CBS AA does give you the live local CBS feed although there may be exceptions depending on your location.

·
TiVo Fanatic
805 Posts

I was able to get CBS through Locast (required a subscription).

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,514 Posts
CBS AA does give you the live local CBS feed although there may be exceptions depending on your location.
Good point but for some reason that doesn't work with Channels DVR. Good news that @southerndoc has found a way; too bad that required a Locast subscription though.

·
Registered
305 Posts
How's the picture quality on TVE?
TVE through Channels worked well except for two very bad things I found in my evaluation month. Many sports channels on TVE aren't 60 frames per second so fast motion and panning shots (NBA, for example) looked choppy. And twice I had to "rescan" for TVE channels which I only noticed when programs weren't being recorded.

I think the Channels DVR software is great. But it would be nice if it had a notification in the app that it couldn't record due to a lost channel.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Am I correct in thinking that TVE and Channels doesn't really help me with slow/marginal internet connections?

What I want is to be able to download a program in a higher resolution than my internet bandwidth supports in real-time. My noob understanding of Channels is that Channels acts somewhat like a browser so it still negotiates with the server for a bit-rate that my internet connection can support.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,514 Posts
Am I correct in thinking that TVE and Channels doesn't really help me with slow/marginal internet connections?

What I want is to be able to download a program in a higher resolution than my internet bandwidth supports in real-time. My noob understanding of Channels is that Channels acts somewhat like a browser so it still negotiates with the server for a bit-rate that my internet connection can support.
Channels doesn't help with bandwidth; it just accesses whatever video you can get via TVE (or cable, or OTA). But TVE is no more demanding than Netflix, Prime, etc. Can you stream those?

I suggest you test TVE alone, without Channels, just to see if it streams OK over your Internet connection. Use your cable provider's app (like the Xfinity Stream app) or their website.

But aside from bandwidth, there's also the total monthly data usage. If your provider has a cap on how much you can use before they start charging you, then you don't want to be a big TVE watcher.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have 6+Mbps DSL. It is usually pretty reliable. I can actually stream fine, most of the time. The picture is "good enough", for me, but I can see that it's not as good as Comcast was on my Roamio 5 years ago.

When I look at the bandwith stats from my router, it seems like it's mostly using between 1 and 2 Mbps. That is streaming from Amazon via either T4KS or a Roku. I'm disappointed that it can't utilize more of my available bandwidth. I'm curious how much more I'd need for the stream to upgrade. 7Mbps? 8Mbps? .... This is a subject I've been meaning to research, but I've been too lazy so far.

What I was hoping for was a way to stream higher resolution video, just not in realtime. The Amazon app on my phone, tablet and Windows 10 all allow downloading higher resolution video for later viewing. But using my T4KS, the Amazon app only supports streaming. If I could store a few programs locally, I'd be set.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,514 Posts
@oscarfish TVE and IPTV (which was the topic of this thread, lol) is just cable TV content: a lot of it is SD, much of the HD is 720p, and at best it is 1080i. Good Netflix and Prime Video content is 1080p, which looks a lot better, and the best is 4K. You can download a lot of TVE content for offline viewing via provider apps like Xfinity Stream, or you can record live TVE streams for commercial-skipping viewing with Channels DVR, but the resolution will not change.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts