TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone with an HDTV notice how crappy the picture was during the Colts Saints game was on NBC? I've watched lots of football games, but never saw such a digital mess. Was it just me/my TV?

·
Meh.
41,277 Posts
My picture looked fine to me.

If I see Peyton Manning's oblong cranium in one more commercial......

·
where is this place?
2,764 Posts
rjom said:
Did anyone with an HDTV notice how crappy the picture was during the Colts Saints game was on NBC? I've watched lots of football games, but never saw such a digital mess. Was it just me/my TV?
Maybe your local NBC feed?

·
Registered
798 Posts
rjom said:
I've been saying this for over a year now. The NBC cameras used in the NFL footlball games are not great. Plenty of pixellation and blurring on fast motion.

It looks good when they stand still though.......

It may be the way that channel 5 rebroadcasts the signal here in St. Louis, but either way, I prefer my NFL HD games on ESPN, Fox, & CBS.

·
Debates Ghee vs Gi
26,523 Posts
NBC looked quite good last night. I've noticed recurring problems with CBS HD for football games. Out here, CBS football games almost always look average or crappy. Maybe it's an affiliate thing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Picture was fine on WPXI via DirecTV. Sounded like they had the microphones in coffee cans, though. :p

·
Seasoned gas passer
12,972 Posts
NBC looked good last night on the football game, but their HD coverage of golf sucks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback.... BTW my affiliate was Channel 7 Boston. I have much better picture with the PATS on CBS4! Go PATS!!

·
Rolling Along
1,431 Posts
The game looked great here in Indianapolis. Must have been your cable or satellite feed.

·
The Jerkstore called
1,800 Posts
cheesesteak said:
My picture looked fine to me.

If I see Peyton Manning's oblong cranium in one more commercial......
How about hearing "This is OUUUUUR Countreeeeey." I think every other commercial was "This is our country."

·
Registered
882 Posts
Bierboy said:
NBC looked good last night on the football game, but their HD coverage of golf sucks.
That's because most of their coverage of golf isn't actually HD, but widescreen SD. From what I can tell, the only HD cameras they're using are the ones that are mounted in places around the course. The cameras that are being carried are all SD. They just show a widescreen picture to make it less obvious that's what they're doing (but man, it's terrible).

NBC's football coverage has always been pretty iffy for me. Anytime you get a lot of movement, you get a lot of noise in the picture. I've never had that problem on CBS or Fox, so NBC is doing something differently.

·
Meatatarian
2,199 Posts
Ours seemed to cut in and out and not the normal there is a raindrop on the satellite in and out but the something is wrong with NBCs cameras in and out. Oh well, at least the Colts still looked great :)

·
Seasoned gas passer
12,972 Posts
gschrock said:
That's because most of their coverage of golf isn't actually HD, but widescreen SD. From what I can tell, the only HD cameras they're using are the ones that are mounted in places around the course. The cameras that are being carried are all SD. They just show a widescreen picture to make it less obvious that's what they're doing (but man, it's terrible)....
Yes, I am well aware of NBC faux HD....really stinky. CBS, in my estimation, does golf HD right.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I can't really complain about the resolution on the Colts-Saints game, just one instance of pixellation.

There is always the chance that your cable co is de/recompressing the signal, I've heard that some companies are guilty of doing that. It also could very well be that NBC cameras/transmission technologies are crappy. I can't really complain about the quality whenever I watch, though. It looks good to me.

·
Enlightened
7,696 Posts
Fahtrim said:
It looks good when they stand still though.......
Well, in football 95% of the game time is spent standing around, so there shouldn't be a problem. :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
BriGuy20 said:
There is always the chance that your cable co is de/recompressing the signal, I've heard that some companies are guilty of doing that. It also could very well be that NBC cameras/transmission technologies are crappy. I can't really complain about the quality whenever I watch, though. It looks good to me.
NBC's football coverage always looks pretty bad here. Basically, any time you get fast action, you get a lot of blockiness, so it really looks like an overcompression issue. However, I'm watching it over the air, and unlike the ABC station (which has always had a good picture), they're not broadcasting a whole extra channel (abc has cw on a subchannel, I think nbc might have a weather broadcast, but it's something low bitrate). Maybe I should see if I can find a way to contact the local affiliate and ask them about it.

(Oddly, I don't really recall there being much trouble with their normal programming hd broadcasts).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts