TiVo Community Forum banner
121 - 140 of 161 Posts

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,370 Posts
Good ending. One things I found interesting. When each school got the rah rah from a famous person, Columbia got theirs from Madeline Albright, a former Secretary of State. USC got theirs from Jerry Buss's trophy wife. He's the owner of the Lakers. I guess that says a lot about each of these schools.
She's not Jerry Buss' wife. She's his daughter. Jerry died in 2013. Jeanie dated Phil Jackson for many years. She holds a 1/6 interest in the Lakers, as do each of her siblings, but she's the one who is in charge.

And it's kind of ridiculous for you to assume that's the best USC could muster. I'm sure USC has hundreds of celebrity alums that would be more recognizable than Jeanie Buss. I think the fact that they got her probably says more about the lack of clout of the show than it does about the school.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
She's not Jerry Buss' wife. She's his daughter. Jerry died in 2013. Jeanie dated Phil Jackson for many years. She holds a 1/6 interest in the Lakers, as do each of her siblings, but she's the one who is in charge.

And it's kind of ridiculous for you to assume that's the best USC could muster. I'm sure USC has hundreds of celebrity alums that would be more recognizable than Jeanie Buss. I think the fact that they got her probably says more about the lack of clout of the show than it does about the school.
Ahhhh, sorry mispoke about her. But they were able to get a Secretary of State for Columbia, a national figure. They couldn't find someone influential to speak on behalf of USC?

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,370 Posts
Ahhhh, sorry mispoke about her. But they were able to get a Secretary of State for Columbia, a national figure. They couldn't find someone influential to speak on behalf of USC?
I agree it's kind of surprising that's who they got from USC. There are hundreds of names on this list, dozens of whom would be recognizable to virtually anyone watching. And the funny thing is Jeanie Buss isn't even listed.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
When they gave USC their $25,000, I was hoping that they were paying in-state tuition. Then Karan made the comment about being from upstate New York...OUCH!
Is USC a state school? For some reason I always thought it was private. I know UCLA is part of the California school system. I suppose some private schools offer in state tuition discounts as well.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,370 Posts
In my experience, most state schools will grant you in-state status after you've lived there for a certain period of time. So if someone is a senior from out of state, they probably only had to pay out-of-state tuition during their freshman year.

·
Registered
13,218 Posts
According to collegecalc.com

"Tuition for University of Southern California is $57,256 for the 2019/2020 academic year. This is 96% more expensive than the national average private non-profit four year college tuition of $29,191. University of Southern California is one of the 100 most expensive colleges in the America, coming in 13th on our Expensive 100 Ranking. The cost is 134% more expensive than the average California tuition of $24,481 for 4 year colleges. Tuition ranks 143rd in California amongst 4 year colleges for affordability and is the 2nd most expensive 4 year college in the state. Price does not vary by residence."

·
I'm back!
35,880 Posts
Cornell is odd (at least among universities I'm aware of). It has some state colleges and some private colleges and the tuition is determined by which college you've been admitted to. So you can major in agricultural engineering in the statutory School of Agriculture and Life Sciences and take many of your courses right alongside students in the private College of Engineering who are paying roughly 50% more tuition per semester (it's still a fairly large number - $40k/year vs $60k).

Currently, out-of-state tuition in the public colleges is the same as tuition in the private colleges.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
The captain of the winning Columbia team, Shomik Ghose, went to the same high school as Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos).

121 - 140 of 161 Posts