TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So NBC has brought back College Bowl... excuse me, the Capital One College Bowl. It premiered last night (Tues June 23) on NBC. Hosted by Peyton Manning.

The first thing that impressed me is how much these kids don't know. Jeopardy College Edition this ain't.

But my main reason for starting this thread... WTF is Peyton's brother, Cooper Manning, doing on this show? All he does is throw in the occasional snarky or stupid comment. Ice Cube comes up in a question, Peyton turns to Coop and asks what his favorite Ice Cube song is. "Ice Ice Baby". Even Peyton groaned and turned away.

Seriously, I don't get his purpose. He's not funny, his answers are dad-level corny, he adds nothing to the show.

Coop aside, this was barely watchable. Anyone else watch?

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
So NBC has brought back College Bowl... excuse me, the Capital One College Bowl. It premiered last night (Tues June 23) on NBC. Hosted by Peyton Manning.

The first thing that impressed me is how much these kids don't know. Jeopardy College Edition this ain't.

But my main reason for starting this thread... WTF is Peyton's brother, Cooper Manning, doing on this show? All he does is throw in the occasional snarky or stupid comment. Ice Cube comes up in a question, Peyton turns to Coop and asks what his favorite Ice Cube song is. "Ice Ice Baby". Even Peyton groaned and turned away.

Seriously, I don't get his purpose. He's not funny, his answers are dad-level corny, he adds nothing to the show.

I completely forgot this was on. I'll have to set up a SP now!

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In all fairness, I've only watched the first half hour. 'Bama vs Auburn. The Iron Bowl. I should probably finish the show, and see how some real colleges did. Maybe the kids got smarter. :D

·
Nice to see you
12,131 Posts
So NBC has brought back College Bowl... excuse me, the Capital One College Bowl.
The original version was "G.E. College Bowl," so it's actually appropriate that this version has a title sponsor as well.

One of the weirdest things I've seen on TV in a long time was in the opening for this show: the clips from the original version had the old-school NBC peacock in the lower right-hand corner, as if NBC had been using it as a logo bug back in the 1960s. (It was particularly weird on the clips that were in black-and-white, where they put in a black-and white peacock!)

·
Now with more GB
3,529 Posts
That's my main problem with the show - well, that, and it uses a variation of the Honda Campus All-Star Challenge format rather than the traditional College Bowl one. I have a feeling the teams weren't chosen for their knowledge so much as for their "Q factor."

Something else that rubs me the wrong way; they make it sound like the scholarship money goes just to the contestants. Traditionally, it goes to the schools. Considering that the prize pool is over $1 million, this leads me back to wondering how the contestants were selected.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,370 Posts

I've also never noticed before, but Peyton's speech isn't very clear. He sounded very mumble-mouthed during a lot of the questions he asked, which is not great for a quiz show host.

I felt like all of Cooper's corny jokes and quips were scripted, just to give the show a less-serious feel. Probably just a way for Peyton to help his brother out. I did notice that all three Manning brothers are listed as Executive Producers.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I felt like all of Cooper's corny jokes and quips were scripted, just to give the show a less-serious feel. Probably just a way for Peyton to help his brother out.
That's what my wife said, "Maybe his brother needed a job and Peyton made them hire him".

The problem with Cooper's corny jokes is they serve no purpose. I can't imagine any demo that likes them. Maybe he'll tone them down.

BTW, I did finally watch the 2nd half. They were marginally better (just having a pulse made you smarter than Bama<>Auburn), but still not what I would consider College Bowl material. I think it's what @That Don Guy alluded to above--they weren't picked for their brains.

I'll watch one more, but even The Chase is better than this.

·
Notable Member
117,708 Posts
I felt like all of Cooper's corny jokes and quips were scripted, just to give the show a less-serious feel. Probably just a way for Peyton to help his brother out. I did notice that all three Manning brothers are listed as Executive Producers.
Yeah.. Poor Eli.. he needs help.. It' so bad he can't even be on camera

;)

·
I've got Jewbs!
2,481 Posts
(Peyton's mom) "Peyton, take your older brother with you on your new show!"
(Peyton) "But, moooooooooooooooooom!"

I thought that Peyton would host the first half-hour, then Cooper would host-but he just stands there and, as others have pointed out, tells corny jokes-SMH!

The old footage at the beginning was cool-I saw Bradley University, a small school in Peoria, IL-my sister went there so that was cool!

·
Now with more GB
3,529 Posts
That observation leads me to think that you're outside the target demographic for this incarnation.
That's what worries me - the "target demographic" isn't as much interested in an academic competition as it is watching random kids representing, for the most part, big-time sports schools. I'm a little surprised that Michigan is paired with Minnesota instead of Ohio State, but Michigan and Minnesota won 11 College Bowl national championships between them.

Of course, limited popularity may have been why it always aired on Sunday afternoons; the only time any network aired it after 7 PM was the one-off 1984 National Championship show.

That's what my wife said, "Maybe his brother needed a job and Peyton made them hire him".
Cooper Manning has a job - on the Fox NFL pregame show.

The old footage at the beginning was cool-I saw Bradley University, a small school in Peoria, IL-my sister went there so that was cool!
It could be from this. Quite a few of the clips came from matches on YouTube, including the infamous Princeton - Agnes Scott game (which may be the only intact game in color).

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
Finally watched this last night (it was repeated Sat night and I recorded it). Cooper Manning serves NO purpose on this show, other than to serve as the show's moron. The original was actually handled like a serious game show, this one, attempts some of that but the interactions between the brothers make the show feel kinda lame.

Only Ivy League school I saw listed was Columbia, and a few others, as someone pointed out just feel like College sports rivals (and indeed they played that up having their celebrity alumni all be sports stars, Barkley, Brady, even Dungy as a plug for NBC's SNF team.) The questions were for the most part on a High School level of knowledge at best, and I was able to guess the vast majority of them. Too many questions related to pop culture as well. I don't remember that being part of the original either, though I was a teen or college student at the time of the original airings and those questions back them seemed MUCH harder. Any 4th Grader should know the date of the Louisiana Purchase for example. And the ones that were a bit harder, they gave enough of a clue to guess the right answer. I'll watch because I like quiz shows like this and fondly remember the original, but it doesn't feel like a "smart" enough quiz show.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
Now analyze it adjusting to the ever crumbling level of American education&#8230;.
Well you would have HOPED they'd have brought in some smart kids. Their credentials seemed good (well based on their majors anyway). For all we know they could be getting stoned every day and attend an occasional class or two :)

·
Notable Member
117,708 Posts
Well you would have HOPED they'd have brought in some smart kids. Their credentials seemed good (well based on their majors anyway). For all we know they could be getting stoned every day and attend an occasional class or two :)
It's nice they brought in normal college students ;)

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For all we know they could be getting stoned every day and attend an occasional class or two :)
So pretty much the way I went thru college.

Nostalgic side trip: At my college (UC Santa Barbara), most classes were either M-W-F, or T-Th. Labs were T or Th for MWF classes, and W for T-Th classes (do they still have Labs?). Most students would have a couple MWF classes, and a couple T-Th classes. One quarter, I managed to arrange all my classes on T-Th (not an easy feat!). Labs on Wed. I had four day weekends all quarter!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Watched the first episode- and it will probably be the last- did not find it interesting enough to watch- at all.

One of my big takeaways was that for the most part, the only contestant that mattered was the one answering the questions- basically did not even need the other 2 people on each team. We were laughing about the fact that a couple of them did absolutely nothing but just stand there throughout the game. The person answering the questions does all the work.

I guess I am in the minority but I did not think the questions were THAT easy- but still, the show is a no go for us. It just again shows what a great show- and concept- Jeopardy is by comparison

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Finally watched this last night (it was repeated Sat night and I recorded it). Cooper Manning serves NO purpose on this show, other than to serve as the show's moron. The original was actually handled like a serious game show, this one, attempts some of that but the interactions between the brothers make the show feel kinda lame.
I agree. I remember how adult all the kids looked, wearing suits, and with so many wearing glasses.

Cooper Manning has no more of a purpose than Anthony Anderson's mother on "To Tell the Truth". What were they thinking? I mean that about both shows.
Only Ivy League school I saw listed was Columbia, and a few others, as someone pointed out just feel like College sports rivals (and indeed they played that up having their celebrity alumni all be sports stars, Barkley, Brady, even Dungy as a plug for NBC's SNF team.) The questions were for the most part on a High School level of knowledge at best, and I was able to guess the vast majority of them. Too many questions related to pop culture as well. I don't remember that being part of the original either, though I was a teen or college student at the time of the original airings and those questions back them seemed MUCH harder. Any 4th Grader should know the date of the Louisiana Purchase for example. And the ones that were a bit harder, they gave enough of a clue to guess the right answer. I'll watch because I like quiz shows like this and fondly remember the original, but it doesn't feel like a "smart" enough quiz show.
"Jeopardy" changed in the same way, though I admit I didn't watch it for the first few years because I remembered how intellectual the Art Fleming show was and didn't think I could enjoy it. Maybe I can enjoy this more with the updated style, but it seems strange.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts