TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,413 Posts
If Trick Play is the criteria, the DirecTV Genie is not on the list.

I think it's a better DVR. It handles Season Passes, padding, buffers, recordings--all better then a TiVo. But on a 1 to 10, Genie trick play is about a 6, and TiVo is a 9.5.

I have and use both.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,413 Posts
More specifically it applies to doing those things to live TV. It's not really trick play if you're doing it to a recording - after all, a VCR from the 80s could do all those things.

But with a DVR, you can do those things without recording - to live TV. It's why one of the "magic" features has been to "pause live TV".
I feel it applies to both, live and recordings. It's not just the existence of trick play, it's the quality of it. AFAIK, the trick play (quality & features) on most DVRs is the same regardless of recording or live. I know my TiVos are superb at TP. And I know my DirecTV Genie is tolerable, even decent, certainly better than nothing, but not at all up to the high bar that TiVo has set. But in both cases, I'm not sure there is a discernable difference in trick play functionality between live and recording.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts