TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,357 Posts
If Trick Play is the criteria, the DirecTV Genie is not on the list.

I think it's a better DVR. It handles Season Passes, padding, buffers, recordings--all better then a TiVo. But on a 1 to 10, Genie trick play is about a 6, and TiVo is a 9.5.

I have and use both.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
More specifically it applies to doing those things to live TV. It's not really trick play if you're doing it to a recording - after all, a VCR from the 80s could do all those things.

But with a DVR, you can do those things without recording - to live TV. It's why one of the "magic" features has been to "pause live TV".

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,357 Posts
More specifically it applies to doing those things to live TV. It's not really trick play if you're doing it to a recording - after all, a VCR from the 80s could do all those things.

But with a DVR, you can do those things without recording - to live TV. It's why one of the "magic" features has been to "pause live TV".
I feel it applies to both, live and recordings. It's not just the existence of trick play, it's the quality of it. AFAIK, the trick play (quality & features) on most DVRs is the same regardless of recording or live. I know my TiVos are superb at TP. And I know my DirecTV Genie is tolerable, even decent, certainly better than nothing, but not at all up to the high bar that TiVo has set. But in both cases, I'm not sure there is a discernable difference in trick play functionality between live and recording.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am not sure I understand what you mean by live TV; I assume you mean the buffer. The buffer is main memory (or reserved disk space memory) that keeps 30 minutes of the show, right? As far as the software is concerned there is very little difference between a recording in the buffer and a permanent recording. Trick Play might be something special but I do not see an explanation here that makes it special.

And I know my DirecTV Genie is tolerable, even decent, certainly better than nothing, but not at all up to the high bar that TiVo has set. But in both cases, I'm not sure there is a discernable difference in trick play functionality between live and recording.
Perhaps not for DVRs but there are many applications, such as VLC, that allow us to jump around within a recording.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Trick play on live tv 20 years ago was new and novel. You couldn't hit "pause" to live TV. Sure it recorded to a buffer but that was the entire point. Until then, to record live TV, you hit record on your VCR. But until the program was done recording, you could only watch it live. You couldn't rewind it while it still recorded, never mind instant replay (or fast forward - which doesn't mean a thing).

And I'm sure there were VCRs that could "instant replay" by rewinding a fixed amount. But again, that could only be done on a previously recorded tape - you couldn't do that "while live".

Live meant live - you changed the channel, and you could still do all those operations (up to the limits of the buffer). To get the most use out of a DVR meant you had to record everything, but if you're just watching live TV, you could still do all the pause/rewind/replay/skip without a recording in progress. The other feature was to be able to watch a program and do those things while it was recording. Once recorded it really didn't matter since it was basically the same as a VCR. But during live TV and recording a program, you could do anything.

That was where the "trick play" came in - you could do things with live TV and in-progress recordings that were not possible with a VCR doing the recording before. Nowadays it's just routine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts