TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Tivo Desktop Plus application on my Windows 8.1 machine, and I'm trying to get shows with captions transferred to the PC for display on the PC while traveling. I am completely unable to get anything transferred to the PC that has closed captioning that will display on the PC.

I have tried many (if not all) settings on both ends of the transfer.

I have tried multiple video players; non show CCs as available.

I finally downloaded VideoReDo as recommended elsewhere, and sure enough, none of the files transferred to the PC show closed captions as being available in the file.

Am I living in a fool's paradise here, hoping that things would actually work well with Tivo products on both ends of the transfer, or is there some bonehead thing I need to do to enable captions?

(I haven't yet played with any of the Linux solutions, but that's next...)

Thanks......

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
What filetype are you using? .Tivo , .ts, .mpg, or something else?
Are you removing the Tivo encryption from the file?

Once you get past the Tivo encryption, Mediainfo is a great open source program which can tell you a lot about the video file including whether it has captions or not.

·
Registered
26,253 Posts
If you download them *without conversion* (only decoding), then the closed captions are definitely there. AFAIK, all of the various reencodings/conversions blow away the captions..
(At least last time I asked.. I'd love to be able to reencode giant HD shows smaller and still have normal captions..)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Basically what I'm doing is firing up Tivo Desktop Plus on the PC, selecting a show I'd like to copy to the PC, and letting it copy. I then pick that show (or some other that I've copied earlier) and click play. The files arrive as .TiVo files, and I leave them alone.

No matter what video viewer I use, closed captions do not appear on the PC. If the file is transferred back, it doesn't have CC when it gets back to the TiVo.

As I said, I'd think the simplest possible transfer would just work, yet it does not.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
The .TiVo file and decrypted .TiVo file should have captions. Run mediainfo on a downloaded TiVo file and post what it shows.

The problem of transferring back to TiVo and not showing captions is a separate issue. To fix that problem you have to return it to TiVo using TS container and you have to use pyTivo with ts=on setting enabled for that since TiVo Desktop can't handle it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The link you posted fails my AV download scan for adware and other potentially highjack-style programs contained within the download. Any other options for scanning the TiVo file?

As I said in my first post, VideoReDo does not show any captions in the downloaded files.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.