TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may take up to an hour.

I've been having some issues with my HR10-250, and read that clearing these things might help...and it might take awhile.

Well, I started it nearly 24 hours ago....it's still going....

How long do I wait before pulling the plug? Will that even help? Other suggestions?

if it matters - the HD was full (suggestions), there are probably about 50 season passes (most are obsolete), and not much in the To Do list. And, because of errors, everything it was doing was slow before I started this.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
JimSpence said:
24 hours for that option is too long. And pulling the plug probably won't help as it will just start up that option again.

What kind of errors were you having?
A failing hard drive, I bet. I recently had to replace the drive in a HDR112 because the C&DE kept getting stuck and taking forever. Sure enough, it was a faulty drive.

However, pulling the plug may not be a bad first step either way. You of all people..., Dr. Restart... :D

·
HD evangelist
3,604 Posts
JimSpence said:
24 hours for that option is too long...
Since they say it will take an hour, maybe so. But it has been known to take 3 days or more and be successful, so I'd wait it out first (while pricing options for HDD replacement). Keep it up on a monitor in the background so that you can detect if it goes into a reboot loop. If it does, then C&D could indeed be futile.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
TyroneShoes said:
Since they say it will take an hour, maybe so. But it has been known to take 3 days or more and be successful, so I'd wait it out first (while pricing options for HDD replacement). Keep it up on a monitor in the background so that you can detect if it goes into a reboot loop. If it does, then C&D could indeed be futile.
3 days, I have never heard of that. 24 hours, yes, but never heard of 3 days and success. Although I do agree waiting it out as a good option.
I would also add that it would not have to go into a "reboot loop" to prove a failed drive.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The issues have been what people have described as failing hard drive. I covered them in some other threads, but basically pixelation, freezing, rebooting...etc.

I'm really just trying this as last resort steps before replacing this unit...I could do the new hard drive, but I'm inclined to believe that I'm soon going to have to move to DTV's DVR anyway...guess this is the first step. I do still have another HR10-250 so I'll at least have a good comparison.

I'll wait this out another night...and then tomorrow I'll be pushing 35 hours and try some rebooting and such. Even if I left the TV on...I'd be unlikely to be in the room (that screen really isn't exciting) to see if it's in a rebooting loop. Plus, my plasma would be on 30 hours of the same exact screen.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Closing in on 3 days.....if pulling the plug just starts the process over again - is there any way to stop it?

Of course, I have no idea if it has happened to reboot itself and just keeps doing that - and unless I sit there watching a text screen for hours there really isn't any way that I will know that answer.

·
HD evangelist
3,604 Posts
JimSpence said:
Sorry, there is no way to exit this loop. :(
Your next option is to replace the hard drive.
Actually there is a way. The last option is a new HDD. The next option and last resort before HDD replacement is kick-start codes (search wikipedia). They work on occasion, but don't get your hopes up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I actually pulled the plug and restarted...it went into the clearing state again...but finished in under an hour. It's working OK...though still shows signs of a bad hard drive.

I have 2 of the 10-250's, and figure this is a good time to try out DTV's HD-DVR and see what I think. I figure the switch is inevitable anyway.....and if I really, really don't like it - then I'll go with a new hard drive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
mdh333 said:
Well, I actually pulled the plug and restarted...it went into the clearing state again...but finished in under an hour. It's working OK...though still shows signs of a bad hard drive.

I have 2 of the 10-250's, and figure this is a good time to try out DTV's HD-DVR and see what I think. I figure the switch is inevitable anyway.....and if I really, really don't like it - then I'll go with a new hard drive.
Same situation here.I have 2 HR10-250s and one is acting up.The last C&D took 7 hours and improved nothing.Looks like time is nearing for an HR20 and new dish.I hate change!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.