TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
My Custom User Title
19,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lightning killed my desktop PC and my old directivo. It is in a spare bedroom that is only used occasionally so I would like to replace it with something cheap and it doesn't have to have a big hard drive.

What would be the cheapest route to go here? eBay, Directv?

Thanks

·
Dumb Blond
38,685 Posts
eBay. DirecTV won't offer you one. But beware, there are some shady sellers out there. Check feedback carefully. A common problem is a box with outstanding charges on the account, and DTV won't let you activate it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I found one on Craigslist. That's a good way to go as you can meet the seller personally. I paid $35 for a 35hr Hughes HDVR2. I called DTV and the had it going as soon as I asked for a supervisor. The used receiver does have to have the access card that was used with it previously. Otherwise you'll have to pay $25 for a new card. I'm happy. It's a 2nd one for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If they allow you to hook it up with the old card, they could have PPV Movies on the card. This is something that happened to me, got charged for a move that was over a year old, I said to the women I just activated this last week and we never order PPV. After a while she agreed.

·
Murray
205 Posts
Ill echo the craigslist suggestion. I have purchased way too many DirecTiVo's off of Craigslist -- I just have had a hard time passing up non-HD models for $25 - $35 or HR10-250's for ~$100.

Here's one that was listed in Houston recently:

·
Registered
9,029 Posts
MurrayW said:
Ill echo the craigslist suggestion. I have purchased way too many DirecTiVo's off of Craigslist -- I just have had a hard time passing up non-HD models for $25 - $25 or HR10-250's for ~$100.

Here's one that was listed in Houston recently:
I know what you mean I have too many as it is and I am always debating on picking up more.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have two Tivo until I rarely use right now. I converted to the DTV HD DVR. I have on HDTivo and one of the Series2 Tivo's. Would probably sell them for the right offer, but sometimes tells me I could use them someday when DTV enhances Tivo functionality w/ HD.

·
Lord of Darkness
1,557 Posts
EBay, Craigslist, Privately. Those are your options.

Just get all the details you can off the unit: Serial, RID Number (if applicable) Card Number etc. Then call Directv and make sure all is well before you go ahead and purchase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.