TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[Dell Inspiron 560 desktop; MS Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit; Windows Live Mail 2012; MS Word Pro 2003; Mozilla Firefox 22.0; RCN Tivo]

Hello, I bought Tivo plus a Mini Tivo about 2 years ago. I now realized I don't need two. So, I'm returning the mini box and the router, and will keep only the main box.

1. Is it easy for a newbie to make this change herself?

2. When I change these boxes, will I lose all files I taped, etc.?

Thanks ever so much for some ideas. :)

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
[Dell Inspiron 560 desktop; MS Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit; Windows Live Mail 2012; MS Word Pro 2003; Mozilla Firefox 22.0; RCN Tivo]

Hello, I bought Tivo plus a Mini Tivo about 2 years ago. I now realized I don't need two. So, I'm returning the mini box and the router, and will keep only the main box.

1. Is it easy for a newbie to make this change herself?

2. When I change these boxes, will I lose all files I taped, etc.?

Thanks ever so much for some ideas. :)
If you're talking about an actual router, and not a TiVo brand wireless adapter, which is not a router, but connects to one, you'll probably still need it, since both your Dell and your TiVo will continue to need to connect to the internet.

After 2 years, I doubt you'll be able to "return" merchandise, especially if there's nothing wrong with it other than you changing your mind.

You could try selling it on eBay or Craigslist, I suppose, and include notice of that here on the section designed for that

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=68

or list it on the subsection of that

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=72

intended for members here to offer things for sale to each other.

As far as I know the TiVo Mini has no hard drive of it's own on which to store recorded TV shows, so whatever you've recorded will still be on the hard drive of the actual TiVo.

You don't have an external hard drive connected to the eSATA port on the back of the TiVo, do you?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so very much unitron for your kind and thorough answer!

If you're talking about an actual router, and not a TiVo brand wireless adapter, which is not a router, but connects to one, you'll probably still need it, since both your Dell and your TiVo will continue to need to connect to the internet.
I believe it's a TiVo, "Cisco" brand, but not wireless as it has plenty of wires hanging from it. But I'll have to have my server confirm it before I disconnect it today. I don't think I have an actual router (though not sure I know what it looks like!) :D

After 2 years, I doubt you'll be able to "return" merchandise, especially if there's nothing wrong with it other than you changing your mind.
Great idea to know where to sell (or buy) in the future, but miraculously they not only accepted the return but they sent me a return label and will also, of course, stop billing me for these 2 services monthly. Now that you mention it I don't recall whether they had charged me for these actual 2 devices, so I'll have to go back and see my original bill.

As far as I know the TiVo Mini has no hard drive of it's own on which to store recorded TV shows, so whatever you've recorded will still be on the hard drive of the actual TiVo.
So glad to hear it; however, disconnecting the main box from my first TV and re-connecting it to my second TV won't erase or alter anything?

You don't have an external hard drive connected to the eSATA port on the back of the TiVo, do you?
Not that I know...I see only a small box (3"x2" or so) connected between 2 wires. This isn't it is it?

Again, lots of thanks for all the helpful info! :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I believe it's a TiVo, "Cisco" brand, but not wireless as it has plenty of wires hanging from it. But I'll have to have my server confirm it before I disconnect it today. I don't think I have an actual router (though not sure I know what it looks like!) :D
Assuming you're using internet service at your house, you have a router. A router basically "splits" your internet connection for all the devices in your house (computers, TiVos, iPads, etc) that are using an internet connection.

In this context, "wireless" just refers to devices using a wireless network...things like your laptops, tablets, phones, etc. Some TiVos connect to the internet through your home's wireless network via a little USB wireless adapter.

Great idea to know where to sell (or buy) in the future, but miraculously they not only accepted the return but they sent me a return label and will also, of course, stop billing me for these 2 services monthly. Now that you mention it I don't recall whether they had charged me for these actual 2 devices, so I'll have to go back and see my original bill.
This means that you were renting your equipment, paying a monthly fee for it. Most TiVo users own their TiVos (and other network gear), so unitron was fairly assuming you were talking about equipment you had actually purchased two years ago. Rented equipment is always returnable, so that worked out well for you (when you realized you didn't want it all anymore).

So glad to hear it; however, disconnecting the main box from my first TV and re-connecting it to my second TV won't erase or alter anything?
No. It doesn't matter what TV it's connected to....your recordings won't be affected.

Not that I know...I see only a small box (3"x2" or so) connected between 2 wires. This isn't it is it?
That's not an external hard drive. It's safe to say you don't have one, or it would be an obvious, separate attachment at the back on the TiVo.

·
TiVo's Italian Cuz!
5,275 Posts
[Dell Inspiron 560 desktop; MS Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit; Windows Live Mail 2012; MS Word Pro 2003; Mozilla Firefox 22.0; RCN Tivo] Hello, I bought Tivo plus a Mini Tivo about 2 years ago. I now realized I don't need two. So, I'm returning the mini box and the router, and will keep only the main box. 1. Is it easy for a newbie to make this change herself? 2. When I change these boxes, will I lose all files I taped, etc.? Thanks ever so much for some ideas. :)
Yes, it's a rental. See the highlighted in bold RCN Tivo] in the quote above by the OP.

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
Thank you so very much unitron for your kind and thorough answer!

Again, lots of thanks for all the helpful info! :)
A router, rather broadly speaking, will have one "input", or port, that it uses to connect to other networks, and then on the other side, so to speak, of all its electronics, will have several other ports where it can join stuff together in a network of its own.

Some routers are strictly for wired connections. The back of them looks kind of like an harmonica, with several rectangular openings that look like modern day telephone jacks, only slightly wider. Those are the places where you plug in Ethernet cables, which have plugs on the end that look kind of like the ones on the end of modern day telephone cords, only wider, with 8 metal contacts instead of the 2 or 4 on a phone cord.

One of those ports on the back may be physically set apart slightly from the others, or maybe just labeled differently. That will be what's called the WAN port (Wide Area Network), which is where you connect it to other networks, usually The Internet. The rest of the ports are LAN (Local Area Network) ports, and that's where the stuff (like computers and in some cases TiVos or networked printers, et cetera) in the same or a nearby room gets connected
together in a local network.

So the router assists in communications between the stuff on that local network, but also in communications between that stuff and the network or networks "upstream" (like the internet).

Some routers also have wireless sections on the LAN side, and the antenna or antennas they use may be on the outside or may be on the inside of the router's case. That wireless part is what people mean when they talk about Wi-Fi.

If you get your internet service from a cable television company, you use a thing called a cable modem. One of those round TV cables that have plugs on the end that screw onto threaded nipples, like say one on the back of a TV, is connected that way to the cable modem. That connects the cable modem to the cable company's wiring, and back at their place where all the cables come together (called a "head end") they connect to the internet as well as to their outgoing feed of cable tv channels.

Also on the cable modem will be an Ethernet jack, and an Ethernet cable will connect that to the WAN port on the router.

Except, they also make devices which are both routers and cable modems all in one.

That's probably what your cable company has provided for you, a piece of equipment made by Cisco that incorporates a wired router, a wireless router, and a cable modem all together in one.

You mention returning two things, but if you keep the TiVo while returning the Mini, and you continue to receive internet service from the cable company, I don't see what the second thing to be returned could be, unless it was a "cable box" or "set top box" used on a TV to which a TiVo was not connected.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much again! I now understand these things a little more, but because my server techies didn't identify any of the cables or wires they installed, all I see is a bunch of a wire and box jungle! lol!

Some routers are strictly for wired connections. The back of them looks kind of like an harmonica, with several rectangular openings that look like modern day telephone jacks, only slightly wider. Those are the places where you plug in Ethernet cables, which have plugs on the end that look kind of like the ones on the end of modern day telephone cords, only wider, with 8 metal contacts instead of the 2 or 4 on a phone cord.
By my computer I see 3 boxes, the Cisco router, a larger box called Arris which has that round, white, thick cable that screws into a threaded “nipple”, and a much smaller box, like 6” x 4” or so, also with the same type cable. None of them look like the description you gave, but maybe all boxes don’t look the same?

If you get your internet service from a cable television company, you use a thing called a cable modem. One of those round TV cables that have plugs on the end that screw onto threaded nipples, like say one on the back of a TV, is connected that way to the cable modem. That connects the cable modem to the cable company's wiring, and back at their place where all the cables come together (called a "head end") they connect to the internet as well as to their outgoing feed of cable tv channels.
I get the internet, TV and phone services from RCN as a package. I recall before Tivo, I got from them a “Modem”, just a box much like the “Router” As more services are added, they add more boxes and cables/wires and whathaveyou...so I don’t know what I have any more.... :D

That's probably what your cable company has provided for you, a piece of equipment made by Cisco that incorporates a wired router, a wireless router, and a cable modem all together in one.
It’s possible, but as I’m still not sure of what I have, I’ll contact my server RCN again as I feel the person on the phone yesterday wasn’t sure. I’ll ask to speak with the technician directly. They ought to know what they installed and then I’ll be sure of what to return.

You mention returning two things, but if you keep the TiVo while returning the Mini, and you continue to receive internet service from the cable company, I don't see what the second thing to be returned could be, unless it was a "cable box" or "set top box" used on a TV to which a TiVo was not connected.
Yes, the 2 things to return are (1) the Mini Tivo (originally I got 2 Tivos) so I’ll use instead the Tivo Main Box; (2) is the item in question: the box that my server’s phone person calls Router. As mentioned, this person didn’t sound too sure as to whether I am to return this box or not.

Thank you again for all your help! :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
By my computer I see 3 boxes, the Cisco router, a larger box called Arris which has that round, white, thick cable that screws into a threaded “nipple”, and a much smaller box, like 6” x 4” or so, also with the same type cable. None of them look like the description you gave, but maybe all boxes don’t look the same?

I get the internet, TV and phone services from RCN as a package. I recall before Tivo, I got from them a “Modem”, just a box much like the “Router” As more services are added, they add more boxes and cables/wires and whathaveyou...so I don’t know what I have any more.... :D
The "Arris" device is your cable modem. The Cisco router connects to it.....but not sure what the much smaller box is. Does it have any writing on it?

You have to have the cable modem for your internet service, and the router for allowing all your devices to share that internet connection.

These are both devices that you can rent from your provider for a monthly fee, which it sounds like you're doing, or you can buy your own. But either way, you need them to be able to use the internet in your house. (As unitron described, these two devices can sometimes be combined into one device, but it sounds like you have a separate modem and router.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Assuming you're using internet service at your house, you have a router. A router basically "splits" your internet connection for all the devices in your house (computers, TiVos, iPads, etc) that are using an internet connection.
Thank you very much! Yes, I use internet but because I don’t know which of the boxes I have is a Router, as I mentioned to the other kind people who answered, I’ll have to contact my server tech dept. for them to tell me what’s what of what they installed.

In this context, "wireless" just refers to devices using a wireless network...things like your laptops, tablets, phones, etc. Some TiVos connect to the internet through your home's wireless network via a little USB wireless adapter.
Oh, so the “wireless” items can also be WITH wires... lol! But I also don’t know whether I have devices using a wireless network...Yes, I’m that kind of computer user.... :D

No. It doesn't matter what TV it's connected to....your recordings won't be affected.
This is very good news! Thank you.

That's not an external hard drive. It's safe to say you don't have one, or it would be an obvious, separate attachment at the back on the TiVo.
You’re right I recall now how a hard drive looks like...sort of.

Thank you again for your kind help. You and everyone else on this thread are just great pals! :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The "Arris" device is your cable modem. The Cisco router connects to it.....but not sure what the much smaller box is. Does it have any writing on it?
Oh b-ball, I'm so glad to know I do have a modem. The smaller box says "ActionTec", has 3 lights, and 4 wires hanging out. The Arris has 7 lights, and also 4 wires...if this throws any more light.

You have to have the cable modem for your internet service, and the router for allowing all your devices to share that internet connection.
So, the cable modem is for the computer. And the router for connections, like in my case the TV, Tivo, and Telephone.

THANK YOU AND ALL THE KIND USERS ON THIS THREAD WHO HAVE HELPED ME SO VERY MUCH!!! :)

·
TiVo's Italian Cuz!
5,275 Posts
Oh b-ball, I'm so glad to know I do have a modem. The smaller box says "ActionTec", has 3 lights, and 4 wires hanging out. ........:)
That Actiontec sounds like it's a MoCA Adapter, the one with the built in switch. It's probably there because your RCN TiVo wasn't near the router, was it? It also would get the signal to your Mini since your main TiVo wouldn't be able to create the Moca network.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That Actiontec sounds like it's a MoCA Adapter, the one with the built in switch. It's probably there because your RCN TiVo wasn't near the router, was it?
Thank you Dave, yes, the router is several yards away from the Tivo, next to my computer. The MoCA Adapter doesn't seem to have a switch.

It also would get the signal to your Mini since your main TiVo wouldn't be able to create the Moca network.
I won't have the Mini anymore, only the main box, but the latter needs the Moca adaptor to make it work?

I just wonder whether I'll be needing all 3 boxes. Any box not needed I'd love to remove so as to disentangle that terrible wire jungle I have... lol!

Thanks again. :)

·
TiVo's Italian Cuz!
5,275 Posts
Thank you Dave, yes, the router is several yards away from the Tivo, next to my computer. The MoCA Adapter doesn't seem to have a switch. I won't have the Mini anymore, only the main box, but the latter needs the Moca adaptor to make it work? I just wonder whether I'll be needing all 3 boxes. Any box not needed I'd love to remove so as to disentangle that terrible wire jungle I have... lol! Thanks again. :)
You're welcome Adela! :)

It's not a switch in the sense you're thinking I'm guessing. I'm talking about an ethernet switch, which is very similar looking to a router, but doesn't have the WAN connection like someone mentioned previously. It's basically an "ethernet splitter", if that helps clarify?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I won't have the Mini anymore, only the main box, but the latter needs the Moca adaptor to make it work?

I just wonder whether I'll be needing all 3 boxes. Any box not needed I'd love to remove so as to disentangle that terrible wire jungle I have... lol!

Thanks again. :)
So far, here's what I think we know about your equipment:

That Arris box, with the seven lights. This is your cable modem, which provides your RCN internet connection. In your case, it's a special "telephony" modem that also provides your telephone service. So you definitely need this box.

The smaller ActionTec box, with three lights. This looks to be a MoCA adapter. If it's providing the internet connection to your main TiVo, you need it. You can confirm this.....is there a round cable that goes from the ActionTec box to the back of the main TiVo (probably to another little adapter behind the TiVo)?

The "Cisco" box. I think this one's your router, but just to be sure.....is there a cable connecting the Arris modem to this Cisco box? If so, you need to keep the router.

There are devices available on the market that can combine some of these functions, eliminating the number of boxes and wires in your setup. But if you want to stay with the RCN-provided equipment, I think it's sounding like you would return only the TiVo Mini, as you need all these other devices to make your computer, TiVo, and telephone work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh how kind of you, b-ball to give more of your time! It’s totally clear to me that I should keep the 3 boxes now that I know each of their functions as you explained them.

Thanks ever so much for your and the others’ explanations and precise help!!! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.