·
Banned
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
HogarthNH said:
snips

In other words, R15 and HR20-250.

H
recording from any analog source or high-speed transfer of digitized content.

That is for the LYRA X3000 don't know about the HUMAX one.

·
TiVo Fan
1,352 Posts
tivolocity said:
Based upon this "your pre-existing set top box will be upgradeable to a model that can link with the box 'Lyra X3000 Personal Multimedia Recorder'", which could mean that you will not need a DirecTV DVR "R15" or "HR20" to get the DirecTV2Go functionality.

But currently if the DirecTV2Go functionality is only available for TIGHLY COUPLED machines, then I see that as limiting the size of market.

·
Banned
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

·
Registered
65 Posts
Guess I'll have to stop by the DTV booth in the morning...

ON another note; Gawd I HATE CES, show has not even started and I cannot wait for it to be over!!!

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,747 Posts
The important part of that Gates article:

One of the big change's to Vista's Media Center will be the ability to view high-definition digital cable. The current Media Center edition of Windows XP supports HD content, but only that accessible via an over-the-air antenna. Microsoft announced a deal with the cable industry in November that it said would pave the way for Media Center PCs this year that can receive digital cable--both high-definition and standard--without need for a set-top box.

·
TiVo Fan
1,352 Posts
dswallow said:
The important part of that Gates article:

One of the big change's to Vista's Media Center will be the ability to view high-definition digital cable. The current Media Center edition of Windows XP supports HD content, but only that accessible via an over-the-air antenna. Microsoft announced a deal with the cable industry in November that it said would pave the way for Media Center PCs this year that can receive digital cable--both high-definition and standard--without need for a set-top box.
Based upon review of the Keynote Speech and further review of available information, the first availability and important parts of the HD solutions appear to require Vista and will not be available until "Holiday 2006".

In addition, it appears that promising big money to Microsoft allows you to have your name presented front in center, even when there are no actual products to produce any real results, namely "DirecTV and Sky". You wonder how much Murdoch paid to be presented with so much enthusiasm, without any specific product to be demonstrated.

The only real working models to be demonstrated with Windows Vista are cable card models from HP and ATI. And any DirecTV tuners have yet to be shown, in other words DirecTV tuners appear to be VAPORWARE at this point. Even the cable card tuners appear to be using cable card 1.0, which means that all of the great possible cable functionality like OnDemand have been left out.

Without a doubt the opening announcements are a REAL DISAPPOINTMENT and the Keynote was mostly a shameful Vista and to a smaller extent an XBOX 360 ad.

I guess we will have to wait another year to get excited about the actual deliverability of useful products

·
Funkadelic
4,705 Posts
tbeckner said:
In addition, it appears that promising big money to Microsoft allows you to have your name presented front in center, even when there are no actual products to produce any real results, namely "DirecTV and Sky". You wonder how much Murdoch paid to be presented with so much enthusiasm, without any specific product to be demonstrated.

And any DirecTV tuners have yet to be shown, in other words DirecTV tuners appear to be VAPORWARE at this point.
DTV tuners were NOT mentioned, and I don't believe there will be any DTV tuners, not this year anyway. He did mention a multi-year agreement and that DTV content is coming to MCE. So I believe is that DTV will announce some sort of TiVoToGo transfer service at their press conference tonight. They've also obviously demonstrated they're moving content to portable devices (Lyra X3000, Humax Generica)... based on the keynote (2 hour Microsoft informercial really) now I'm wondering if those devices are running MS's portable media software.

·
Funkadelic
4,705 Posts
tbeckner said:
Even the cable card tuners appear to be using cable card 1.0, which means that all of the great possible cable functionality like OnDemand have been left out.
Can't blame MS for that one... while multistream CableCARD specs have been agreed upon, bidirectional protocols have not - earliest you'd see it anywhere would be 2007. Having watched the press conference, I don't recall the version and specs of that Dell card-reading accessory and the local CableCo's cable card were not mentioned.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Is Windoze really the answer for the multi-media home theater backbone? Seriously. Given the issues MS has with security issues as well as stability, the last thing I want in my livingroom recording my TV is a computer running a M$ product that has a strong probability of suffering a Blue Screen of death at any moment.

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,747 Posts
SpacemanSpiff said:
Is Windoze really the answer for the multi-media home theater backbone? Seriously. Given the issues MS has with security issues as well as stability, the last thing I want in my livingroom recording my TV is a computer running a M$ product that has a strong probability of suffering a Blue Screen of death at any moment.
Apparently you aren't familiar with Windows software from this century.

·
has gone his way...
11,164 Posts
SpacemanSpiff said:
Agreeing with Doug...

I haven't seen a Blue Screen of Death since the introduction of Windows XP, and even more so since Windows 2003 Server has been around. For the average to above average user, who knows how to take care of their systems.

Windows is EXTREMELY stable (IMHO). And I abuse the heck out of them.

As for the Security.... Granted there are holes... but some of those holes are so extremely extremely specific (you have to a,b,c,d, while rubbing your foot) to get to some of them.

And if you have a properly setup firewall/broadband solution, those "security" problems are even less as those that want to exploit them can't get throught he front door to get to your living room. (and what would they get... find out your secret that you Season Pass/Link Dora the Explorer.... )

·
DirecTV Addict
430 Posts
SpacemanSpiff said:
I'm only using XP Pro and XP Home. Which I think qualify from this century and I've crashed them both. Required hard boots to fix.
Yeah, but Windows 95 did that every hour of every day.

Their products still suck -- but no one can rationally deny that they've improved over the years.

H

21 - 40 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.