TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
jmoak said:
Now THAT perked my ears right up!!!!:)

Now all we need to find out is if it will output a/v, will they offer a unit with a larger screen (7" would be much better for my old eyes) and how much will this bugger cost.

Can you get one if you don't own a r15 and will they subsidize it?
(don't beat me, just wishful thinking?)

heck, maybe they DO love me!
;)
I think they love money more then they love us customers :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
dswallow said:
Creating something "On Demand" for satellite delivered services borders on false advertising as far as I'm concerned; it's a ridiculous concept. It's not in any manner "on demand"; it's "delivered and recorded whether you want it or not".

The whole paradigm sucks and annoys me.

It can never offer a real library "on demand"; it's always going to be limited to some very small amount of material. The day I can view any episode of any series ever produced, I'll consider it "on demand"; but what is it right now at best? 60 hours of pre-selected stuff to choose from?

It's just like that Starz experiment. Useless. Wasteful. Pointless. And it takes away attention from more important matters.

There we go... that's why it exists... a marketing datapoint that they can point to in comparisons, as long as you don't delve too deeply.
Don't hold back tell us how you really feel about it. :D

·
Registered
617 Posts
Maybe I am missing something here but I never saw anything where MS said you must buy an Xbox 360 and only the 360 to work as an extender. From what I saw you can use that, (I think there is even a kit for the original Xbox out there), The DirecTV DVR, the extenders from other companies are also out there. Sorry but that just sounds like talkof someone who doesn't like MS and just wants to bash them. I am FAR from an MS fan boy but unless they say that you can ONLY use the 360 I see no reason to bash them.

·
Registered
617 Posts
tbeckner said:
I am not trying to disagree with you or the other person, but there is no doubt that the CableCard tuner is a far bigger win for Microsoft than the DirecTV tuner, mainly because it would likely mean access to almost 8 times as many users as a DirecTV tuner would allow access to. Yet the CableCard announcement was not promoted as prominently as the DirecTV and Sky announcement was. See the KEYNOTE webcast by Bill Gates.

There where NO working or prototypes of the DirecTV or Sky tuners, but there where working and prototypes of the CableCard tuners including the HP and ATI OCUR models.

I really am not in disagreement with either of you, because for DirecTV subscribers this is the first announcement we have really been able to cheer about since 1994. Although it is likely that we will not have anything tangible to show for this announcement for another year, especially since Microsoft has been missing their internal checkpoints for Vista builds, see announcements this past week about missed code complete builds.

And for the average JOE on the street, the DirecTV tuner MCE announcement will not mean anything, because the average JOE on the street is unlikely to buy and/or build a $2G machine just for this capability. This announcement really is only for geeks or the semi-rich. (I just know someone is going take exception to that statement).
Geeks? lol isn't that what most people would call the majority of us here?

·
Registered
617 Posts
tbeckner said:
You never know how people will take that word. Yet I tell my kids that everytime someone calls them a geek, they should remind them that the richest person in the world is a geek.
You've got that right. If it weren't for most of us so called geeks most people in this world couldn't function as they do now. Who do they think comes up with all this technology and keeps it running? There are far worse things you could call me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.