TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
The parade of interesting press releases begin - and so will now the debates about them.

This makes sense - a DirecTV branded piece of hardware to play DirecTV content.

While all the talk of PSPs and iPods would be nice, I don't see DirecTV wanting to open up its DRM, or Sony/Apple to open their DRM... or both.

·
Registered
499 Posts
lee espinoza said:
In additional DIRECTV content device will support other non DIRECTV videos.
I would hope that it could play whatever silly MPEG2 or MPEG4 videos I download from the net or copy to my PC myself. I did have a worry that DirecTV would cripple the device to allow it to ONLY play DRMed files that it approves - but this press release leads me to believe they're not going to be that stupid.

I'm going to be able to see that monkey smelling its finger and falling off the branch on a DirecTV2Go device... but I'd be very surprised if I'll be able to watch an iTunes downloaded copy of Desperate Housewives.

I hold out a hope that PlaysForSure will be supported (like the Dish portable device does), but so far DirecTV seems to want to go it alone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.