TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Annoyed with trolls
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have cancelled DTV and gone to locals only basic cable. I bought a new series 2 Tivo to use with my cable since I am aware that the R10 is worthless without DTV. I have set up the home media stuff and can copy files between my series 2 and my computer easily enough.

I was wanting to take the 80GB hard drive out of the R10 and put it in my computer as archive/storage space for the programs that I copy from the Tivo. I do not forsee myself going back to DTV anytime soon so I am not worried about rendering the R10 unusable by wiping the hard drive.

Is there anything special that I need to do to make the hard drive usable in my computer? I would think that I could just plug it in and repartition and reformat it and be good to go. However, I tried doing this with an old hard drive out of our old UltimateTV receiver (may it rest in peace) and couldn't get the hard drive to work.

Jeff

·
Banned
2,292 Posts
I wouldn't bother. An 80Gb drive is too small these days. I'd put the R10 up on Ebay and get at least $50-75 for it, which is enough to buy a 160Gb drive on sale from BB ($69.99 this week).

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Yeah, some people are really hankering for the DTivos now that they're no longer being actively marketed. Maybe wait six months and then see what the market will bear.

As for the drive, it's just a normal IDE drive. Consider putting it in an external USB enclosure. Lots of utility there.

·
Annoyed with trolls
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guindalf said:
I wouldn't bother. An 80Gb drive is too small these days. I'd put the R10 up on Ebay and get at least $50-75 for it, which is enough to buy a 160Gb drive on sale from BB ($69.99 this week).
I had thought about doing that but when I checked, new R10's were going for between $50 and $75 and used ones were going for less than $40. I would do better to buy one of the used ones myself and take the hard drive out of it and add a second 80GB hard drive to my computer to make 160GB total tivo storage. Heck, my whole computer is running on a single 60GB drive right now that isn't even half full. That's including all my games.

Besides, even with just the single 80GB hard drive, it would take about 80 hours to copy enough shows to fill it up. I don't plan on copying that many shows. Just giving my new Tivo a little bit of breathing room by moving a few shows here and there to the computer.

[head_scratch] However, I am having trouble understanding how my R10 with 80GB drive could hold up to 70 hours of recorded shows at broadcast quality but best quality on the series 2 standalone takes 3 times the space. [/head_scratch]

Jeff

·
Registered
97 Posts
jeff92k7 said:
[head_scratch] However, I am having trouble understanding how my R10 with 80GB drive could hold up to 70 hours of recorded shows at broadcast quality but best quality on the series 2 standalone takes 3 times the space. [/head_scratch]

Jeff
.. the recorded prorgam stream is already compressed, its the native stream .. much more efficent than the recompress a standalone does !!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Like he said. Directv compresses/encodes their signal with high-end expensive equipment at the satellite uplink facility.

This $$$$ equipment does a much better job than the $10 chip in a standalone tivo.

Your DTivo records the raw already-compressed data from the satellite.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.