TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Is there a way to stop the channel updates? I ask because my TiVO Roamio keeps adding channels that have no OTA signals. Yes, this is a first world problem and yet it is maddening.
Thank you!

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,646 Posts
No, you cannot turn off any channel additions, only if you have your channels set as favorites, it would not show up, but it can still try to record from them.

The best way to remove unwanted/no signal channels when you encounter them: With no Tivo dialog on-screen, press Select (for mini-guide), press Left until the channel column highlighted, Press Select and the options are add/remove channel, add/remove from favorites.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, you cannot turn off any channel additions, only if you have your channels set as favorites, it would not show up, but it can still try to record from them.

The best way to remove unwanted/no signal channels when you encounter them: With no Tivo dialog on-screen, press Select (for mini-guide), press Left until the channel column highlighted, Press Select and the options are add/remove channel, add/remove from favorites.
Thank you!!

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Hundreds. Do you know what you're saying?
Yes. And that’s exactly what you’re supposed to do.

Your cable company doesn’t sell lineups, they sell packages. And those packages make up a larger lineup.

Tivo knows what the lineups consist of but has no knowledge whatever of what packages your household does or doesn’t receive.

ie: TiVo knows a cable lineup includes HBO but doesn’t know whether you pay for HBO or not. So, by default, HBO is shown to you.

So you go thru the Channel Lineup in Settings and you uncheck any channel you don’t receive (or that you don’t want to see in your guide or have TiVo ever record from, like an SD version of a channel you also receive in HD or a channel you’ll NEVER watch, like QVC).

This is a one-time process and may take you 15-20 mins. Afterwards your guide will accurately only reflect what you receive or what you choose to view/record from.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Yes. And that’s exactly what you’re supposed to do.

Your cable company doesn’t sell lineups, they sell packages. And those packages make up a larger lineup.

Tivo knows what the lineups consist of but has no knowledge whatever of what packages your household does or doesn’t receive.

ie: TiVo knows a cable lineup includes HBO but doesn’t know whether you pay for HBO or not. So, by default, HBO is shown to you.

So you go thru the Channel Lineup in Settings and you uncheck any channel you don’t receive (or that you don’t want to see in your guide or have TiVo ever record from, like an SD version of a channel you also receive in HD or a channel you’ll NEVER watch, like QVC).

This is a one-time process and may take you 15-20 mins. Afterwards your guide will accurately only reflect what you receive or what you choose to view/record from.
When you first setup your TiVo you are asked if you have premiums, so if you say no, it should not show HBO.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
When you first setup your TiVo you are asked if you have premiums, so if you say no, it should not show HBO.
Well yes, that was just an easy example.

Tivo doesn’t know if you have the Sports package or the News package or the Lifestyle package, etc,

If you want to not see channels you don’t get, you need to uncheck them. That’s the only way it works.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Well yes, that was just an easy example.

Tivo doesn’t know if you have the Sports package or the News package or the Lifestyle package, etc,

If you want to not see channels you don’t get, you need to uncheck them. That’s the only way it works.
Well, selecting "no" to Premiums cuts out about 200 channels with most cablecos, since most premiums have about 8-10 channels and double that with SD & HD. So, that's a big help. But, sure, there is no way for TiVo to know the rest of the channels. I agree.

·
Registered
26,352 Posts
1) have you set up kmttg to talk to your tivo? First you had to do that part..
2) then launch kmttg
3) go into the "Remote" tab.. and then IIRC a sub-tab is channel list.. pick that
4) then pick the tivo (if you have multiple) and IIRC load or refresh and wait until it finishes
5) now you can sort the list and find ones to UNCHECK....
6) then you hit another button, something like "update" or "send" or something like that to send the channels TO the Tivo to reset what the Tivo knows about them.

these are my vague memories when not sitting in front of the kmttg interface.. but I think should be enough to get you started.

·
Banned
38 Posts
1) have you set up kmttg to talk to your tivo? First you had to do that part..
2) then launch kmttg
3) go into the "Remote" tab.. and then IIRC a sub-tab is channel list.. pick that
4) then pick the tivo (if you have multiple) and IIRC load or refresh and wait until it finishes
5) now you can sort the list and find ones to UNCHECK....
6) then you hit another button, something like "update" or "send" or something like that to send the channels TO the Tivo to reset what the Tivo knows about them.

these are my vague memories when not sitting in front of the kmttg interface.. but I think should be enough to get you started.
Thanks, but I still don't know what kmttg is.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,646 Posts
Thanks, but I still don't know what kmttg is.

Reactions: mattack
1 - 17 of 17 Posts