TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about purchasing another unit to do MRV, but i'd like to know how MRV works. Would I have to wait for the show to be over, before I could initiate MRV? Or, are you able to start viewing a show in another room while the show is being recorded on the other unit, without interuption?

The 2nd unit will not have satellite hookup, and i'd like to begin watching the show while the show is being recorded on the other unit.

Both units will be the DSR7000. One with service, the other without. If I understand correctly, all I need is a card in the 2nd unit - no service is required. Correct?

Thanks!
Ryan

· Haven't broke yet
125 Posts
For long shows like sporting events...in the past I setup manual records and set it up in hourly settings. That way I did not have to wait for a show to be done just the first hour. By the time I watched the first hour then I could go to the next hour.

Rick

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope the show has to be over.
Are you saying this because it is not possible, or because you would evenually catch up?

I get about 1.7MB/s while downloading shows. 1 hour=15min. Seems like once the show got going, that would be plenty to never catch up.

Am I missing something?

· QUASI-OMNISCIENT
856 Posts
Gunny, I think it does show up in the list. I based my answer above on personal experience. I have tried to transfer shows that were still recording and I got a message telling me that it could not until the program was done recording.

· Coming and going
2,811 Posts
willardcpa said:
Gunny, I think it does show up in the list. I based my answer above on personal experience. I have tried to transfer shows that were still recording and I got a message telling me that it could not until the program was done recording.
You are correct sir

· Registered
2,589 Posts
For anyone that is wondering...the REASON you can't transfer an in-progress recording is because the MRV code reads the recording file. While the recording is still in progress, the recording thread has the file locked for both reads and writes. Once the recording is complete, all future access is multi-read.

· Registered
2,589 Posts
Gunnyman said:
so good he told us twice :p
So I'm impatient!! The website was slow, and I thought I hadn't clicked "Submit Reply" so I clicked, apparently for the second time! :)

I've deleted the duplicate.

· Mmmmmm BaconGate
2,796 Posts
Dan Collins said:
For anyone that is wondering...the REASON you can't transfer an in-progress recording is because the MRV code reads the recording file. While the recording is still in progress, the recording thread has the file locked for both reads and writes. Once the recording is complete, all future access is multi-read.
OK, I'm really new here. Have read A LOT and thought you could watch a show that has started recording on the same Tivo it is recording on.

If that is the case, how is it that you can't do the transfer in the same way that the Tivo plays the recording that is currently being recorded?

marc (the new guy)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.