TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the regretful act of changing multiple components at once and now have a non-properly-functioning TIVO.

I replaced the old 27" Tau Flat Screen with a Philips 37" HD LCD (37PFL5322D)
and
I replaced the old Motorola digital cable box with a new HD capable Motorola cable box

I have the following connections made:

house cable to splitter
splitter out1 to cable box
splitter out2 to TIVO RF in
cable box AV out to TIVO AV In
cable box component out to TV Component In (AV1 Input)
TIVO RF Out to TV RF In (TV Input)

This is exactly what is prescribed by the TIVO website AND Guided Set-up.

When I run the video set-up routine on the TIVO, it does the Cable Box connection first and properly detects a video signal. Then it checks the "basic cable" signal and does not detect a video signal. I have tried switching the cable from the splitter (knowing from previous step that other cable is fine) to no avail. I have also swapped in a new cable to no effect.

As I proceed through this wizard, I am left with the "Continue and I will trouble shoot later" option. when I hit select, I eventually get a 126 error and the TIVO locks up. If I reboot, I can use the TIVO, but only one tuner works and I only get channels 1-99.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,290 Posts
If you disconnect the cable at the TiVo A/V inputs and connect it to an A/V input on the TV - can the TV see a signal? (In other words, "is the cable box producing an A/V output"?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WayneCarter said:
If you disconnect the cable at the TiVo A/V inputs and connect it to an A/V input on the TV - can the TV see a signal? (In other words, "is the cable box producing an A/V output"?)
Yes. The "cable box" signal is the one TIVO sees. I can turn it on and off by pulling the cable. The problem connection is the TIVO "basic cable" connection which is the one where the RF cable goes directly into the TIVO.

I am concerned that an internal connection is broken in the TIVO itself but am hoping for a simpler solution...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,869 Posts
Have you connected the rf cable going to the Tivo directly to the TV's rf in to see if your TV can get a signal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The RF cable into the cable box apparently works. If I swap cables the cable box still works and the RF input on the TIVO is still not working.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,619 Posts
Your last connection (Tivo to TV) should use composite A/V cables, not coax. Also if s-video is availabale you should be using that both here, and for the cable Box to the Tivo.

However, it is unlikely that this is your problem just a means to improve the PQ if you can solve the problem.

As Mick66 suggested, I would still try connecting the Coax from the wall dirctly into the TV to see if you get a signal.

The problem that you describe could occur if your cable provider were 100% digital, but it appears that you had this working before, before getting the new cable box.

I assume from your description that you do have the dual-tuner S2????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jrm01 said:
Your last connection (Tivo to TV) should use composite A/V cables, not coax. Also if s-video is availabale you should be using that both here, and for the cable Box to the Tivo.

However, it is unlikely that this is your problem just a means to improve the PQ if you can solve the problem.
I'll try that when I can scrounge another set of cables

As Mick66 suggested, I would still try connecting the Coax from the wall dirctly into the TV to see if you get a signal.
Will Do

The problem that you describe could occur if your cable provider were 100% digital, but it appears that you had this working before, before getting the new cable box.
could you expand on this?

I assume from your description that you do have the dual-tuner S2????
Exactly what I have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,619 Posts
Expanding on 100% digital:

It's been reported that some cable systems (e.g. Chicago area) have converted to 100% digital systems. That means that TVs and other devices (Tivo S2) which only have analog tuners would not be able to display a signal, except for those run thru set top boxes.

However, if that were the case, you would not be able to display a signal on any of your older analog TVs without a set top box. Do you have any of these, and do they work without a set top box?

Assuming that you are not 100% digital, how did you have the Tivo connected previously with your older TV and set top box?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jrm01 said:
Expanding on 100% digital:

It's been reported that some cable systems (e.g. Chicago area) have converted to 100% digital systems. That means that TVs and other devices (Tivo S2) which only have analog tuners would not be able to display a signal, except for those run thru set top boxes.

However, if that were the case, you would not be able to display a signal on any of your older analog TVs without a set top box. Do you have any of these, and do they work without a set top box?

Assuming that you are not 100% digital, how did you have the Tivo connected previously with your older TV and set top box?
The very same way except for the additional component connection from cable box to TV (so I can watch HDTV) :confused:
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top