TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a SECOND TiVo off ebay... My plan was to have it as a dummy TiVo with no TiVo service and just use it in the workout room. I'd transfer videos to it from the computer and the other TiVo.

Once I set it up though, it doesn't appear to allow me to even do that without the TiVo service... am I doing something wrong or is even TiVo2Go restricted without the service?

· Registered
38 Posts
It needs to have service, but only briefly. Once the new Tivo connects to the Tivo service, and receives all necessary updates, you can tell your router to stop allowing that Tivo to access the Internet. Your new Tivo will still think it has service, even if it doesn't, because it would have to connect to the Internet to learn that it doesn't. It will complain about a lack of guide data after a while, but you should still be able to use it for MRV (though perhaps not indefinitely).

· Hardcore TiVo Geek
2,853 Posts
Definitely not indefinitely - about a month. If the unit is on monthly service it has to talk to the server regularly to confirm the service is active or it self-deactivates.

Plus ALL new account activations require a minimum one year commitment - though you could cancel within the first 30 days, of course. But that's not going to get you much since the box is going to turn itself off soon thereafter.

· Registered
8 Posts
Thanks guys, I've got two Series 2's with lifetime service and would love to transfer the lifetime service to a new HD box and use one of the "old" boxes to just watch stuff I've recorded on the others (on a different level of the house without cable) but it sounds like its a no go. Man I miss the lifetime service option!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.