TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last time I had a to pair a CableCard with Verizon FIOS was four years ago in 2018. It looks like a few things have changed. I am about to get a new Edge for Cable to use with my Verizon FIOS tv service, and swap my CableCard from my Bolt+ to the new Edge.

I checked the Verizon's self-install site I had bookmarked, and no longer works. I googled a bunch of times, and could not find any self-install page for the Cable Card. There are articles on the Verizon's site, about doing it online, but they all yield nothing, prompt to log in to my account, then nothing, basically a loop.

Can someone with Verizon Fios help? How do I proceed when the Edge arrives? As you probably know, this requires not just activation of the CableCard (it should be already activated as it is already in use with my existing Bolt+), but also proper pairing with my new Edge, what's called "manual validation" I believe.

· Premium Member
7,303 Posts
The cablecard will display a message, something like "If you see this message, call this number and give them these numbers to pair your cablecard". Just call the number and read them the numbers on the screen and they'll pair it.

· Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cablecard will display a message, something like "If you see this message, call this number and give them these numbers to pair your cablecard". Just call the number and read them the numbers on the screen and they'll pair it.
Yes, I am aware of that, and I do have the "special" CableCard number for Fios: 888-897-7499. However, from my previous experience doing this over the years, it's a hit or miss. Many Verizon techs do not know how to do it, or have never done it.

· Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last time I ordered a card from VZ it came with self install online instructions in the box.
When was the last time you did this?

Also, as I mentioned on my OP, I am not getting a new CableCard, I am swapping my existing CableCard from my Bolt to the new Edge. Nothing is coming in the mail.

· Registered
8,329 Posts
When was the last time you did this?

Also, as I mentioned on my OP, I am not getting a new CableCard, I am swapping my existing CableCard from my Bolt to the new Edge. Nothing is coming in the mail.
It was maybe two years ago.

I would just call the number. Fios is superior to their CC support than any other cable co.

I wouldn’t worry about calling them at all.

· Registered
59 Posts
I had to re-pair one of my cable cards (after replacing a failed hard drive) about a year and a half ago. I also used a chat session. I think it took more than 10 minutes, but wasn't too bad.

· Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Responses are encouraging. Crossing fingers everything will be painless.

I will try chat first. Then phone call at that number if I sense Chat people don’t know what a CableCard is. I will make sure to have written down the following:

CableCARD ID / POD ID: _ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
Host ID: __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
Data ID: __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

· Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just take a picture of the TV screen. Much easier and less chance of transposing characters.
What makes you think the risk of transposing the characters is higher with me than with the Verizon tech? 😂

I’d rather read them to the tech one by one, very slowlyyyyyy

· Registered
2,934 Posts
Can someone with Verizon Fios help? How do I proceed when the Edge arrives? As you probably know, this requires not just activation of the CableCard (it should be already activated as it is already in use with my existing Bolt+), but also proper pairing with my new Edge, what's called "manual validation" I believe.
Well can't speak for Verizon but with Comcast they have to UNPAIR it first (from current device), then pair to new device. If they skip the "unpairing", it won't work. Activation should still be fine.

· Registered
5 Posts
On Verizon FIOS I didn't need to unpair. Within the past few weeks, I've moved our cable card from our Edge to our Bolt to our Edge to our Bolt to our Edge -- where, hopefully, it will stay. The only hitch I had was that once I didn't wait long enough after I entered the unit ID for the pairing to be set. That time I scheduled a phone call, but while I was waiting for the call I tried again -- waiting a minute this time -- and it worked, so I cancelled the phone call.

I used my phone to input the ID, as I don't use a laptop. No difficulties there either. Based on my experience, I wouldn't worry about moving the cable card on FIOS -- except that I wouldn't do it within a couple of hours of a scheduled recording, in case you need a technician.

· Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On Verizon FIOS I didn't need to unpair. Within the past few weeks, I've moved our cable card from our Edge to our Bolt to our Edge to our Bolt to our Edge -- where, hopefully, it will stay. The only hitch I had was that once I didn't wait long enough after I entered the unit ID for the pairing to be set. That time I scheduled a phone call, but while I was waiting for the call I tried again -- waiting a minute this time -- and it worked, so I cancelled the phone call.

I used my phone to input the ID, as I don't use a laptop. No difficulties there either. Based on my experience, I wouldn't worry about moving the cable card on FIOS -- except that I wouldn't do it within a couple of hours of a scheduled recording, in case you need a technician.
Where did you enter the info, what website URL? Thank you

· Registered
5 Posts
I'd forgotten, it was the phone number shown on the TiVo screen. So, of course I used my phone (duh). As I remember, it first asked if I wanted to register a Verizon product and I said No. Then it asked me if I had a cable card and I said Yes. The information it asked for was shown on the TV screen, generated by TiVo, so I just had to either read or type in in. I was more successful typing than speaking, but I stutter a bit so that might explain it.

· Registered
262 Posts
When I got my last TiVo (Edge) about a year ago, I called the FiOS number provided after the CC was installed. It was an automated process. I either spoke or used the phone keypad to enter what it asked for on the TiVo from what I saw on my TV. The process was rather easy and worked the first time.

· Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OP here: an update

Edge arrived today. Yes, Sunday before Memorial Day.

Did the call, prompted to the automated CableCard validation. That did not work. Upon entering the CC ID, it asked me for ZIP code, which it did not like for some reason, said “hmmmm…. let me connect to a an agent”. After about five minutes, the rep came on the line, Scott, clearly US based. He knew exactly what to do. I gave him the three sets of numbers, and pronto! Everything works fine. Yes, I checked the premium channels (Showtime and HBO), and the Fox channels, such as FX, FXX, FS1 and FS2. I am relieved. This went much easier than I thought. I am glad Verizon tech still service the CableCards and TiVo, and most importantly, they know the procedure of pairing them

· Registered
6 Posts
The last time I had a to pair a CableCard with Verizon FIOS was four years ago in 2018. It looks like a few things have changed. I am about to get a new Edge for Cable to use with my Verizon FIOS tv service, and swap my CableCard from my Bolt+ to the new Edge.

I checked the Verizon's self-install site I had bookmarked, and no longer works. I googled a bunch of times, and could not find any self-install page for the Cable Card. There are articles on the Verizon's site, about doing it online, but they all yield nothing, prompt to log in to my account, then nothing, basically a loop.

Hey- I’m about to switch my Verizon Fios service to upgrade my internet. They’re giving me a hard time to get an alternative card to keep my TiVo Premiere going. I need to upgrade internet bc Work From Home Zooms are getting choppy. They’re saying they may not have the right new cards to keep my TiVo going. I’m about to pull the trigger and see if Verizon can accommodate new and/or old card with new service. Does anyone have any advice for me in this upgrade situation? Verizon is really pushing to lose the TiVo box and just go with theirs. But I know the other interfaces stink so much and need this Premiere to keep going. Let me know what you all think.
D

· wait.. I did what?
15,512 Posts
Hey- I’m about to switch my Verizon Fios service to upgrade my internet. They’re giving me a hard time to get an alternative card to keep my TiVo Premiere going. I need to upgrade internet bc Work From Home Zooms are getting choppy. They’re saying they may not have the right new cards to keep my TiVo going. I’m about to pull the trigger and see if Verizon can accommodate new and/or old card with new service. Does anyone have any advice for me in this upgrade situation? Verizon is really pushing to lose the TiVo box and just go with theirs. But I know the other interfaces stink so much and need this Premiere to keep going. Let me know what you all think.
D
There are not "right new cards" all of them are the same at this point in time. Just have them upgrade the internet and you'll be fine, even with a new ONT/Modem/GW if that happens.

I have a hunch you talked to a phone rep, they are not reliable sources of information, if you have a real FiOS store in your region they are usually more helpful, Verizon has no plans to do anything different with CableCARDs in the foreseeable future.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts