TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had their cable company lower their signal strength? Tivo tech support says my signal strength is too strong and to have the cable company (Spectrum) lower the signal. Is this even possible?

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Too strong of a signal is very common. You simply add an attenuator (looks like a filter) or additional splitter(s). The cable company will not lower the strength on their end.

Kind of have to guess at what level you need - 3dB, 6dB, etc. Every 3dB cuts the strength by 50%, so start with 3dB. A splitter does the same thing. You can also find them on Amazon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too strong of a signal is very common. You simply add an attenuator (looks like a filter) or additional splitter(s). The cable company will not lower the strength on their end.

Kind of have to guess at what level you need - 3dB, 6dB, etc. Every 3dB cuts the strength by 50%, so start with 3dB. A splitter does the same thing. You can also find them on Amazon.

My signal strength is 100. And SNR is around 44. Tried attenuators, all the way up to a 17. With a 17 its unwatchable. Anything else doesn't change the tiling issues. I get black tiles no matter what. I get the signal strength to 95 and SNR to 35 and it does nothing to help the tiling. Could it be something else?

·
Administrator
9,705 Posts
Sure you can DIY or the cable company can come out and adjust signal from the box.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Has anyone ever had their cable company lower their signal strength? Tivo tech support says my signal strength is too strong and to have the cable company (Spectrum) lower the signal. Is this even possible?
While cable signal strength could be an issue, maybe in your case it's not. Hate to say it but can't just assume what Tivo customer support says is correct, much of the time I know more than the CS rep. Maybe it is the Tivo, how old is it, maybe the drive or something else is having issues. Has it always been this way or just recently?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While cable signal strength could be an issue, maybe in your case it's not. Hate to say it but can't just assume what Tivo customer support says is correct, much of the time I know more than the CS rep. Maybe it is the Tivo, how old is it, maybe the drive or something else is having issues. Has it always been this way or just recently?
Its an Edge. About 9 months old. It was fine for about 3-4 months and then the tiling started (any channel). Called Tivo numerous times and have had spectrum here about 6 times. Stil no resolution. Tivo says they won't do ANYTHING until my signal strength is 99 or less and my SNR is 35 or below. The cable in the neighborhood is a year old and my house is only 10 months old. Spectrum has replaced all the fittings on the cables, cable card and tuning adapter. Ive tried attenuators to no avail. They either don't help or make the picture unwatchable. Just at a loss at what to do.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Its an Edge. About 9 months old. It was fine for about 3-4 months and then the tiling started (any channel). Called Tivo numerous times and have had spectrum here about 6 times. Stil no resolution. Tivo says they won't do ANYTHING until my signal strength is 99 or less and my SNR is 35 or below. The cable in the neighborhood is a year old and my house is only 10 months old. Spectrum has replaced all the fittings on the cables, cable card and tuning adapter. Ive tried attenuators to no avail. They either don't help or make the picture unwatchable. Just at a loss at what to do.
Hmm, well Edge can be a very problematic unit. 3-4 good months, then goes bad, it COULD be the unit. You mention you were able to get signal strength down to 95 and 35 SNR? That should be good enough for them to "do" something. Heck you can just tell them it's 95/35 and they should replace (may be a $49 fee since more than 30 days but less than a year?) But you only get ONE warranty/continual care replacement period. You could take a pic of the 95/35 though I doubt they would require.

Is it a lifetime unit or monthly? Believe it or not you can get non lifetime cable Edge for like $50 now, used of course. Lifetime still $300-400 used, maybe $450-500 new when on sale.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
One more thing about warranty continual care replacements. You can probably just make something up, any of the many Edge "problems". They would run you through some "tests" over the phone. Usually worthless. Just tell 'em does not solve the problem. I doubt VERY much they test any returns (in fact they probably sell them as refurbs, I doubt I will ever buy a refurb from Tivo again, some may be just "didn't like it" returns, but many probably returns of defective units, not worth it for them to do an ACTUAL refurb or even test.)

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Signal strength has been 100% on every Tivo I have owned going back many years and never an issue. Really do not want to be lowering SNR.
SNR higher is better not lower.
I've never had any problems with 100% either, but some do for some reason. As for SNR, it automatically goes down when your signal strength goes down, can't choose one or the other.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Signal strength has been 100% on every Tivo I have owned going back many years and never an issue. Really do not want to be lowering SNR.
SNR higher is better not lower.
I know SNR is better higher than lower, but not according to Tivo. Thay say that's causing my pixelation. I just dont believe it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just installed a 6db attenuator and the signal strength only changed on a handful of stations. some are still at 100% signal and 42 SNR and some are down to 91% and 39 SNR. And some in between. No rhyme or reason.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts