TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am receiving a C33 error when trying to set up a Moca network on my bolt:

Equipment: I have a Tivo Bolt 1 TB and 2 Minis.
Cable: Brighthouse/Spectrum
I have to use a Tuner and the modem is connected at the same Coax

Current Install: Coax split three ways (going to Modem, Tuner, and Bolt). Tuner attached to Tivo through top USB port. Modem connected to Tivo trhough Ethernet.

According to Tivo this is all I need to set up the Moca network however all I get is a C33 error stating I could not create a network. I chose the no password, no ip settings. PLEASE HELP, brighthouse says that's not in their wheelhouse, Tivo has forever waitime on phone!

· TDL shepherd
17,753 Posts
Heh, this may become a regular theme, here, with the recent UI change on the BOLTs. Another TCFer recently posted with the same C33 error, and we eventually figured out that it's a bogus error when reported by the DVR on which you're trying to initially create your MoCA network. This error doesn't occur on Roamio Plus/Pro models using the old network settings UI menu when initializing a MoCA network; it's just a recent glitch with BOLTs (owing to menu changes related to the continuing HD UI upgrade).

See this post for more info.

Basically, if you check your BOLT's network settings/status screens after seeing this error, you'll likely see that the BOLT is configured for "Ethernet+MoCA." And you could verify its MoCA network capability, as described in the above post, by directly connecting a Mini via coax (temporarily) to the BOLT's coax input. This will kill TV signal tuning on the BOLT; it's just a quick config test you can run to prove the BOLT is creating a MoCA network.

edit: p.s. The C33 error would be valid for any TiVo device attempting to connect to a MoCA network but is unable to do so; it's just a nonsensical error message for the DVR being used to CREATE the dang MoCA network.

· TDL shepherd
17,753 Posts
Current Install: Coax split three ways (going to Modem, Tuner, and Bolt). Tuner attached to Tivo through top USB port. Modem connected to Tivo trhough Ethernet.

According to Tivo this is all I need to set up the Moca network
With my perspective on the C33 error stated... for Minis in remote rooms to see and connect to the BOLT's MoCA network, the coax lines between the rooms need to connect via MoCA-compliant coax connectivity components (coax, splitters, amp), and you should have a MoCA filter installed at your cable provider point-of-entry (PoE) to your home.

· TDL shepherd
17,753 Posts
Yes it does show mica + Ethernet but the minis can't find the connection either.
Have you tried connecting a Mini directly to the coax input port of the BOLT, per the above post, as a quick test of each device's MoCA functionality?
See this post for more info.
And you could verify its MoCA network capability, as described in the above post, by directly connecting a Mini via coax (temporarily) to the BOLT's coax input. This will kill TV signal tuning on the BOLT; it's just a quick config test you can run to prove the BOLT is creating a MoCA network.

As for the Minis, the C33 error when attempting to configure a MoCA client is different from the C33 error being displayed when initializing the MoCA network on the MoCA-bridging DVR, as I'd posted above...
p.s. The C33 error would be valid for any TiVo device attempting to connect to a MoCA network but is unable to do so; it's just a nonsensical error message for the DVR being used to CREATE the dang MoCA network.

Do the direct coax test to prove the BOLT is bridging MoCA, and then move the Mini to its intended location. If the Mini is then unable to reestablish the MoCA connection in its targeted location, then the problem is not that the BOLT is unable to create the MoCA network, but is likely related to the coax lines and connecting coax components between the Mini location and the BOLT -- as I'd alluded to above, here.

· TDL shepherd
17,753 Posts
Could really use some feedback on what you've done. It seems you may have directly connected the Minis to the BOLT, thus proving the BOLT's MoCA network is active and getting the Minis through their initial setup.

If so, and you now find the Minis unable to connect to the BOLT's MoCA network when they've been moved to their targeted locations, you've progressed to the issues alluded to in my second post to the thread, here.

How do your rooms connect to each other, through what coax component(s), etc?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry your posts seem to be popping up at different times.

I'm not sure what types of connectors I have the other rooms are just on standard coax cords directly to the wall no splitters or amps. Is a filter at the POE something the cable company usually installs?

From reading the requirements on the TiVo website I thought this was going to be straight forward. Thanks for your help.

· TDL shepherd
17,753 Posts
the other rooms are just on standard coax cords directly to the wall no splitters or amps
I take this to mean that the Minis directly connect via coax to the wall outlets in each of their rooms.

Given such a simple setup in the remote rooms, that you've proven the BOLT is creating the MoCA network via direct connection of the Minis, and that the BOLT and tuning adapter are properly connected, per your earlier comment...
Coax split three ways (going to Modem, Tuner, and Bolt)
... one has to assume that something in how your rooms are connecting to each other is blocking your MoCA signals.

Do you know how your rooms connect to each other? Do you live in a house or apartment (or other multi-dwelling building)? The coax runs to your wall outlets must connect back somewhere. You need to find where, and identify the coax component from which the runs are distributed.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are correct on all assumptions.

I live in a townhome, I owned exterior and interior. I know where the cable company installed the cable outside, just don't know what to look for out there. They only installed the cable card and modem they did not do anything in the other rooms that the minis are installed.

· TDL shepherd
17,753 Posts
I live in a townhome, I owned exterior and interior. I know where the cable company installed the cable outside, just don't know what to look for out there.
Do you know where the cable line enters your townhome? Can you see the cable as it enters the townhome's exterior wall, and then go inside and find where it came through (perhaps in a basement)?

They only installed the cable card and modem they did not do anything in the other rooms that the minis are installed.
It's possible that those coax lines aren't even connected, then. It's painful (since it will temporarily kill your Internet access), but you could use your cable modem to test basic coax connectivity in those other rooms: connect the cable modem to the wall outlet in each Mini room and verify that the modem fully syncs w/ the cable provider per the LEDs on the modem.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Roger. And no problem.

As an aside, it would probably be worthwhile to know the cost your cable provider would charge to ensure your rooms are properly wired for MoCA (whole home networking over coax). Just to have a figure against which to weigh your labor.

Cheers!
Here are the pics of the outside box

Bright house was recently bought by spectrum and they said they won't install moca anymore

Attachments

· TDL shepherd
17,753 Posts
Ok, so the outside box just has a grounding block joining the cable coming from the cable company to a coax line entering your house. You have a minimum of 3 rooms with coax wall outlet connections that *should* be linked back to this single incoming line. The mystery that needs to be solved is WHERE does this single line split into the 3 or more runs feeding the rooms of your townhome.

You can see where the cable enters the house. Can you then go inside and find where it comes through the walls and follow the cable to the point where it splits? Do you have a basement or crawlspace into which this cable has been fed?

Wheel Tire Bicycle Crankset Bicycle frame

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.