TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Let me try answering some of your questions.

DVR = digital video recorder

DVD refers to the disc on which one can record. Yes, a TiVo with a DVD burner can burn DVDs. Yes, you can burn just about anything that's recorded and later put the DVD into your DVD player or TiVo DVD unit and watch it. It is great for archiving stuff.

The TiVo DVD burning units (e.g., Humax and Toshiba) burn DVD-RW or DVD-R discs. The -RW you can rewrite many many times. The -R are one time only. The -R discs are much cheaper, but if the burning fails, you have a coaster. You CANNOT use +R or +RW discs.

Your pricing estimates are high. I recently got 50 Ridata DVD-RWs for $28 from amazon... best price I've seen I much prefer -RWs because I can rewrite the discs... that means if a burn fails, I haven't lost anything because I can try again. Also, if I decide I really don't want to keep a bunch of sitcoms or trashy movies around, I can reuse the disc.

Some people have purchased inexpensive DVD burners and attached them to their current TiVos... that's fine, and is more flexible, but the convenience of an all-in-one system is great. Plus, the TiVo units burn the DVD with a TiVo style menu, which works quite well.

Don't sweat missing out on that deal... there will be plenty more, just look around and see what's out there. Plus, there are very good rebate deals on new units, too.

Hope this helps and post more questions as needed!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Tivotvaddict, thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I've gained a lot from others, so every now and then I jump in when I think I can help. And I do try to write clearly, so I'm glad it's working!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.