TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
TivoTVAddict and others,

What is the difference between a DVD and a DVR??

Doesn't the Tivo w DVD 'burn' a DVD?

I know nothing about this stuff but I have a Tivo and thinking of getting a DVD recorder or a Tivo w DVD.

Next question, can I take my VCR tapes and record them onto DVD? Otherwise I won't be able to enjoy them any more or I will have to set VCR up in a different room or something.

Thanks!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Incidentally I am thinking of getting the refurbished one tonight also. It is last day for it, assuming they still have some. I haven't had a DVD before so I am going to ask a pretty basic question:

I'm assuming I can burn a DVD of a movie I record with Tivo, that it will be on a DVD disk that is removeable from Tivo, like a CD disk; I can take it out of Tivo, label it with the name of movie, store it away easily and take it out to watch movie whenever I want, rather than have the movie sit on my Tivo and take up room for a long time.

Do you record over DVD's when you are finished watching what's on it like a VCR, or do you throw them out when you are done with them?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sorry about all the questions, but I only have until 7 pm to decide on Humax on sale. I'm trying to figure out how expensive to burn and keep DVD's.
It looks like a DVD disk is about $3 bucks, and can get a couple of movies on one.

Staples have these for sale. Are these the type of disks I would be buying for a Humax Tivo unit. They are double layer and have +R and +RW after them:

for $30.00:
Verbatim 10/Pack DVD+R Kit, Jewel Case.
Includes: 1 Double Layer DVD+R, 8 DVD+R, 1 DVD+RW
8.5GB (single-sided disc)
DVD+R DL will work only with a Double Layer drive

·
Registered
432 Posts
I couldn't make up my mind fast enough. Hopefully, they have other deals on refurbished sets that will come along. Thanks

·
Registered
432 Posts
Evan,
Thanks for the info. It helps alot. I thought about it overnight and decided to try and see if they would sell me the Humax today and they did, so I got one. I was concerned about the cost of burning DVDs and it doesn't sound expensive at all. I have a 30 hour Sony but frequently I go to tape something and it wants to know what I want to erase and I don't want to erase anything, so this will help, 80 hours. That should be plenty, especially if I can download movies I don't have time to watch to a DVD and get them off the Tivo and then watch them when I have the time.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi Sweetspirit,
What are some of the attractions you are reading about with the Series 3?
I'm still not sorry I bought the S2, as I think from now on I will buy refurbished machines since they come with the exact same warranty, and I doubt there will be reburbished S3's for awhile. bebw

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.