TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does it take to burn a TV show or a movie to a DVD? Is it real-time?

I am going to purchase a DVD Recorder and am curious to know if this process is fast and easy. I assume you simply select "Record to VCR" and the machines do the rest.

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
taj2 said:
How long does it take to burn a TV show or a movie to a DVD? Is it real-time?

I am going to purchase a DVD Recorder and am curious to know if this process is fast and easy. I assume you simply select "Record to VCR" and the machines do the rest.

Thanks
yes, it's real-time. The connection is composite or S-Video to the recorder from the DTivo.

Automatic ? not really - you need to select Record to VCR, then select start from beginning, then on the DVDR hit record, making sure you have already decided on how many hours you want to put in per DVD (don't go higher than 3).

·
Don't know much
575 Posts
I use the DirecTivo and a DVD recorder. I just choose an appropriate time length for the DVD and let the recording from the Tivo occur as I get my nights sleep. DVD media are so cheap there is no need to cram programs on every last little bit. So if you have a half hour to record, pick the least time on the DVD (least compression for best picture) and record. And I agree with the no more than three hour suggestion. (Few things are continuous for anything like three hours.)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Might I suggest a burner with a built-in hard drive. My Panansonic burner has one. I copy the show from Now Playing to the hard drive. From there I can edit the show's length or divide the recording if needed. I then burn from the hard drive to DVD.

·
Registered
19 Posts
re: a copy to the hard drive and then to DVD; the copy from NP to HD has to be real time, as there is no way to speed up the DTivo replay of the program and the recording function of the DVD recorder. With a Panasonic, however, the dump from HD to DVD is actually done a bit faster. I have an older panny DVD recorder (DMR-E80H) which, I believe allows for transfer at 2x speed. I haven't checked lately, but I think the newer ones may now be a 4x speed which would allow a 2 hour transfer in 1/2 hour.
You can get a lot of info at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=106.
Good luck. BTW, the new pannys now can record to DVD+-R, DVD RAM, and DVD-RW.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.