TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bosch: Legacy is now streaming on Amazon's Freevee, formerly IMDb TV.

Freevee is ad-supported, so I am still considering using PlayOn Cloud which will index the commercials, and then streaming from PlayOn with auto-skip on (or downloading it into my local Channels DVR using their PlayOn Cloud Integration and having it auto-skip the commercials here).

I find this trailer a bit spoilery and didn't finish it, but here you go:

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Comments on this new series, copied from the end of 'Bosch' Season 7 thread:
Enjoying this follow on series. Well acted. Characters true to form. Complicated mix of various stories. F bombs galore!
I watched all 4 available episodes. The ads weren't too very intrusive IMO, several of them being only 30 seconds with a couple up to a minute and a half. Hardly enough time for a quick pee without pausing the show. And it's a good story. Can't wait for the next episode.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I watched the first episode, and liked it! There were only two ads, one 30 seconds and one 60 seconds. As I mentioned, PlayOn Cloud indexes the commercials after recording shows to its cloud DVR. You can then stream from PlayOn Cloud or have Channels DVR download it as an mp4 file, and in either interface you can skip commercials manually or automatically.

I used Channels DVR, which failed to auto-skip the first commercial so I had to click once on the remote to jump past that, but the second commercial was automatically skipped just fine. It costs 15 cents per episode to have PlayOn Cloud record these at 720p. Full 1080p is 45 cents each, and now that I've found the video quality setting maybe I'll try that for later episodes if available.

To get started with PlayOn Cloud I had to spend a minimum of $7.50 (50 "credits"; 15 cents each). Give how few and short the commercials are so far I could almost put up with them, but hey it's the principle.

Reactions: JandS

·
Premium Member
10,893 Posts
Anybody know how to get PlayOn to record close captions?

Reactions: DouglasPHill

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I still don't understand how ads work on freeve. For "Dramaw2rld" there were two ads only in the very last episode, so far in the first four of "Bosch: Legacy" I have seen none.

On the other hand, the ads in "Dramaw2rld" were sliced in with no warning or fade-out and right in the middle of the action. If the ads were more common I would abandon freeve. As it is I think very carefully before watching something there. (I know. "Dramaw2rld"?)

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reactions: zalusky

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still don't understand how ads work on freeve. For "Dramaw2rld" there were two ads only in the very last episode, so far in the first four of "Bosch: Legacy" I have seen none.

On the other hand, the ads in "Dramaw2rld" were sliced in with no warning or fade-out and right in the middle of the action. If the ads were more common I would abandon freeve. As it is I think very carefully before watching something there. (I know. "Dramaw2rld"?)
At least you had no ads in this Bosch series. In the one episode I've watched so far, for me there were two ads but they were properly placed. Maybe Dramaw2rld doesn't include convenient pauses where breaks can easily be inserted, but it seems to me Freevee should try harder.

And this is creepy: they will insert brands/products into a show after filming.

• Angry
Reactions: JandS

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
close captions?
Update: if captions are on in Prime/Freevee, they will be included with the recording. However in Channels DVR they show up for me in the Fire TV client but not in the web UI.

If a commercial is less than 30 seconds then Channels DVR won't auto-skip, but manually skipping ahead works well enough.

·
Premium Member
10,893 Posts
Update: if captions are on in Prime/Freevee, they will be included with the recording. However in Channels DVR they show up for me in the Fire TV client but not in the web UI.

If a commercial is less than 30 seconds then Channels DVR won't auto-skip, but manually skipping ahead works well enough.
Hulu makes it a bit of pain. It seems you can't just go to a profile but you actually have to start playing on the web and turn it on and then stop. Of course then the program remembers a different start point so I presume you have to back up.
I wish PlayOn could had an option to say Yes I want close captions and then it would turn them on it Hulu/Netflix/... when it started cloud recording. It should not be that hard to do.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hulu makes it a bit of pain. It seems you can't just go to a profile but you actually have to start playing on the web and turn it on and then stop. Of course then the program remembers a different start point so I presume you have to back up.
I wish PlayOn could had an option to say Yes I want close captions and then it would turn them on it Hulu/Netflix/... when it started cloud recording. It should not be that hard to do.
Bummer. With Prime/Freevee, if captions are on for other shows then they're on for anything PlayOn records for you. Too bad if Hulu won't do that. I can envision how PlayOn would turn on captions for us in Hulu (because I've done software and website test automation) but I bet they probably have their hands full just keeping logins valid.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As to the actual content of this show:

I've finished all four episodes available so far. Good to see Crate & Barrel again, though I think they were trying a bit too hard to be Crate & Barrel.

Reactions: philw1776

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Enjoyed episodes 5 and 6. Great to see a few more of the old characters pop in.

While those shows were downloading, I began watching the new Netflix series based on another Michael Connelly novel: The Lincoln Lawyer, which was a Matthew McConaughey movie about ten years ago (which I haven't seen).

It's not as dark as Bosch. There's more humor for one thing; it's more like a newtwork show in that way. And I've read that unlike the books Bosch doesn't drop in. But Mickey Haller is definitely a Connelly creation, and I'm enjoying this too.

Reactions: markymark_ctown

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Like the original theme better, it really got me in the mood of the show, like The Sopranos theme did. But love the show over all.
I agree, I actively dislike the new theme song. I liked the original and would on occasion leave the credits on to hear it.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the old theme song better, but today I have the new one stuck in my head...

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now downloading episodes 7 and 8 for tonight's viewing sesh.

·
Premium Member
10,893 Posts
Just finished episode 5. I enjoyed seeing some of the old cast and they are still great as always. The stories still seem disconnected. I am presuming they will all come together at some point.

·
Craps Player
4,378 Posts
I loved Bosch so I plan to start watching this weekend. But God I hate ads. Why can’t they put an ad free version on Prime. Damn.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts